“Great Accomodations Lousy Personality”

Comfort Suites McAlester
Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in McAlester
Reviewed June 22, 2014

On Monday June 16 my maternal grandmother suffered a massive fatal stroke and was air lifted to OU Medical Center in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. I spent two days and one night without sleep at her side. I departed Oklahoma City for McAlester, Oklahoma (where I work as a radio broadcaster) with the intent of getting a little sleep before the funeral and the activities that were to follow later in the week. I checked in on the 6/17 paying by VISA for one evening. The hotel had a marque sign advertising 'govt rate' and I pulled into the parking lot went inside and inquired about a 'veteran's rate' was informed that the govt/vet rate was higher than the normal rate and was given keys to room 108. Upon entering room 108 (first time to ever stay in a comfort suite hotel) I was impressed with the accomodations and the size of the room. I did notice a significant stain or two in the carpet at the entrance to the room and a hole in the sheet rock where the door handle had dinged the wall by a previous guest. After having suffered the loss I had just suffered I could not sleep though the bed was cozy, only there were some traces of dried blood smears on the bedding. I was awoken on 6/18 at 10a by a knock on the door from housekeeping wanting to know if I 'required any service'. I explained that I had not slept and that I had suffered a tramumatic and emotional loss and was sleeping fearing that I might over sleep the check out time (which at the time I precieved as 11a) I went out the lobby and inquired as to extending my staff by one night. The hotel manager helped me with this and was more than friendly (even gave me a 10% discount on the rate) and it was at this time that I discovered the rewards/points program. The original clerk at the time of check in did not tell me about this. So I signed up. I also forgot to renew the card keys in my pocket. I slept most of the day and most of the night. On 6/19 a knock at the door at 634a wakes me only to discover it was another guest and he had the wrong room. I went back to sleep. I stayed awake to enjoy your hot breakfast (cold as ice btw) At 954a another pounding at the door and two attempts to enter the room only thwarted by the latch and bolt wakes me and I go to the door to inquire as to what is wrong. I am informed by housekeeping that checkout is at 12 noon however, they are busy and would like to clean the room as soon as possible and were wondering if I had checked out. I went to the desk to speak to the clerk (complain nicely and polititely) I explain to the clerk what has happened in my life this week and I futher explain that I commute to McAlester 7 days a week for work and that on average I spend 100 nights a year in a hotel in McAlester and that I had told the manager the day previous that I was dissatisifed with my usual hotel accomodations and that I had tried three other locations and that I was most pleased with his location and that I would bringing my reqular stay over business to Comfort Suites and that I saw the knocking and attitude of the staff at the door as an insult. She laughed/smurked and said that they were super busy and needed to get the rooms clean. I quickly gathered my things and checked out. I returned to the lobby still being rather calm though visable mad, to seek out the manager. His response was about the same in attitude adding that there is a blue DND card on the inside handle of the room and that next time I should avail myself of it and they would likely not knock. I never asked for anything for free or discounted and nothing was offered to me other than 'so we did not meet your expectations'. I explained to the manager again that I stay over in McAlester 100 plus nights a year for work and that the day before I had stated that those nights would be at his hotel.....HELLO AMERICINN AND SUITES!

Room Tip: If you want peace and quiet use the DND sign.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo

Reviewed June 9, 2014

The woman behind the desk was not helpful at all. Her answer to most of our questions was that she did not know. The hot tub outside was not heated and she was of no help at the front desk. The mirror in the bathroom was not clean. The breakfast was ok, but we had to wait for eggs and there were no forks or syrup out - had to keep asking for it. The lobby and breakfast area were very warm. We usually have no complaints about Comfort Suites, but would not stay at this location again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

Yes I really did over two hundred channels of nothing, there was more but I gave up. Then there was all the "paid advertisement" channels! I just wanted to watch a movie as we wound down before bed. The room was large enough and clean enough with the exception of a mystery spot or two. The defiantly worked well. The breakfast was good, but I'll stay away from the sausage patties next time. Staff was friendly and helpful.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 9, 2014

It's been awhile since we stayed here (due to only passing through McAlester) but it is still pretty nice as the last time we stayed. We were on the second floor and room 210 was generally clean, although the bathtub floor could use a Magic Eraser & the sink didn't have a plunger. The room was large and comfortable with micro & fridge in room. The wifi worked VERY well on all our devices (sometimes in the motel rooms it doesn't). If you stay here, ask for a room away from the highway as it is very noisy. I had to use my earplugs.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 7, 2014

I have stayed here several times over the past few years. The staff is always extremely friendly. The breakfast is great and the rooms are clean. They are very dog friendly, which is great. I have always had a great experience here. Very relaxing!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I travel to McAlester often, and have stayed at this motel before. Not sure what has happened, but this time (October) the room was dirty, the TV didn't work, and the carpet was absolutely filthy - 1st floor, south hallway. The night manager was wonderful - she profusely apologized and moved me to another room, where the TV still had to be tinkered with in order to work, and the carpet was dirty, but not as bad.

This motel gets a lot of gas company employees, and I'm sure that was the reason why the carpet was so dirty - but so do the other motels. So let's clean it for the other guests, please!

This is a pet friendly motel (another reason why I've stayed there before) and this trip I had my well behaved dog with me. I asked to be put at the end of the hall near the exit door for easy in-and-out trips, but I was worried about my dog with the condition of the carpet! Since I paid an extra pet fee, I think it's only fair that I get a quality room - not something that I worry about my dog laying on.

I thought the breakfast bar was okay, nothing special, but good. The staff was very nice in the morning also. I think this is a case of poorly owned/managed motel. Whether there's not enough staff to clean the carpet, or not enough care from those in charge, I don't think I'll be back.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stopped in McAlester whilst driving through to Texas as we wanted some where to stay for the night. Opted for this hotel, walked up to reception and were happy with the cost for a night’s stay so booked in. The room we were give on the 2nd floor was large with a king bed, separate seating area, kitchenette area and bathroom.

The room smelt damp and musty and felt grubby. Seemed to be surface clean but I wasn’t investigating too far. Husband said I was being too fussy but on a week’s road trip this was the third out of 4 hotels and was easily the worst!

Breakfast was extremely limited and poor quality. We arrived towards the end of the time window but still would have expected better.

Won’t be staying there again should we ever be in Oklahoma; would opt for any of the many others in the immediate vicinity.
Positive was the meal we had at Chili’s across the road, quick, filling and satisfying.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple