“Don't judge a book by its cover...”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites McAlester
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in McAlester
“Don't judge a book by its cover...”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for three weeks on January on business. This hotel is newer and has good amenities. Its location is wonderful. You are within walking distance of several restaurants, one of which has a small market, which is great because the "suite" shop in the hotel is a joke. It was never stocked and what it did have was lacking in organization. When I arrived and checked into the first of three rooms I would stay in, I was impressed with the size and lay out of the room. However, my room was missing a closet door (WHAT?!) and a handle off of the television armoire. The room was clean but not spotless and was short on outlets. The second room I stayed in still impressed with size and layout but I was again missing a handle off of the armoire (huh?). The third and final room I stayed in for the last leg of my trip was great. Nothing broken or missing. Still big and lovely looking. However, I was quickly surprised to find that above one of my bedside lamps on the wall someone had drawn, in pen, a small anatomically correct picture of male genitalia. I do not offend easily and lost no sleep over the incident but seriously?
The biggest let down of the trip though was the front desk staff. They were mostly young and entirely unhelpful. One front desk staff members would constantly disappear outside to smoke and talk on the cordless phone. You would just have to stand at the front desk until she came back in or, if you were like me, you would have to walk outside and grab her.
In short, this hotel was nice on the surface but at its heart was unimpressive.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank MSarae
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites McAlester, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear MSarae,

Ferdinand G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Corpus Christi, Texas
Reviewed January 4, 2013

On our way to MO my father, my 3 kids (2-5yr olds and 1-6yr old), and I stayed here in passing. The hotel was nice and very clean. We had a room with 2 Queen beds, and it also had a sleeper sofa. The room and bathroom was a good size. The bed was very plush and comfortable. It had a microwave also. The breakfast was good, and the area downstairs was clean. I would stay here again. The location was also easy access to town.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Waynesville
Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the HI Express in McAlester during a moving trip from Houston to my home in Missouri. After al long day of driving the moving truck it was good to stop at a good hotel. I was greeted promptly and recognized as a platinum member and my room was upgraded for free. I usually get a king suite but ended up with a queen double. No worries though. All restaurants and Wal Mart were easy to get to. Just wish the hotel had a shuttle! Overall not a bad hotel. Breakfast was the usual HI Express fare and was good and filling. Would stay there again.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Joshsamy
oklahoma usa
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed in a room with 2 queen beds, it also had a sleeper sofa ,microwave and mini fridge ,so rhe room was really large. It was clean but showing a little wear , like scuffs on the baseboards and walls. Breakfast was adequate with cheese omelets ,bacon ,boiled eggs ,yoghurt, toast ,cereals, juice, and make your own pancakes. I would recommend this hotel and not hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank missoklahoma
Oklahoma
Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

Clean and well staffed.we enjoyed our stay. After a day of driving, however, actually finding the hotel was a bit frustrating. It sits off the road and the sign is not visible from the north. Watch the GPS!

• Stayed October 2012
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Stayed here with my family for Labor Day weekend and experience was very bad. I chose this hotel expecting the normal Holiday Inn standards and it was clearly way below. I booked the room on-line and the staff made us feel like second-class citizens because of this. Our reservations were for two rooms with two beds in each. On the morning of travel I called the hotel and the clerk said we have a problem. I can give you one room with two beds but the other is one king size bed. Then she said "I can't do anything about this because you booked on-line. But you can talk to Hotwire (which was not the booking site I used) and maybe they will refund your money and find a room somewhere else." Rather than try to work with me she seemed to prefer for me to take my business elsewhere. Since it was a holiday weekend and this is a small town the options were limited so we took the rooms even though barely adequate for our needs. Then I asked for one of the rooms to be near an elevator as one of our travellers is handicapped but again they did not try to accomodate our needs and his room was 3/4 way down the hall from the elevator. The real kicker was when we returned to our room at 2 am and one of our rooms had not been cleaned. This in spite of me personally asking 4 people to clean our room when we left the hotel and each said it was next. When I complained to the clerk at 2 am obviously there was no one there to do anything and she told me to call the manager in the morning. I tried but the only response I got from the desk clerk was "sorry, but we can't do anything about it because you booked on-line. I brought you clean towels this morning." Neither the hotel manager nor the housekeeping supervisor would even respond. I didn't expect them to refund my money but I did expect the manager to respond. If you're looking for a hotel that will not try to meet the needs of their customers or a hotel that has a staff not willing to do much besides take your money, this is the place for you. Otherwise go to one of the other hotels in Mcalester that will provide a satisfactory service.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank FrequentTraveller350
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites McAlester, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear FrequentTraveller350,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. I am most disappointed and concerned to read your comments. Please accept my sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay and I regret you received unacceptable service from our staff. I would like to assure you that the challenges you encountered are not indicative of our usual high standards.

While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, I certainly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to improve the quality and service we offer.

Thank you for staying with us, and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
SALADO
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We enjoyed this hotel. We stayed here using our rewards and it was comfortable and rooms were good size. Hotel was close to everything.
Only issues were not that big a deal-tv took forever to change channels and a/c did not have a constant blower, so when it shut off at night it got really still and you could not help but wake up.
I would stay again.