WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in McAlester
Wister, Oklahoma
“Nice surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

After spending a lot of money on hotels for the past two weeks. I have stayed in different hotels while my family member was in the hospital.

My budget Needed to be tightened, so I went ahead and start looking at different hotels.

The hotel was very new and clean. They don't charge and don't provide breakfast. But when I saved $40 on my room. Was exciting.
Bed was comfortable
Will stay again

Stayed October 2013
2 Thank Pamilla

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Oklahoma City, OK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

We recently stayed at Oak Tree Inn in McAlester. Our stay was extended due to car troubles - not what any of us want on a trip. However, what could have been a miserable experience was made bearable by a most amazing, accommodating manager and staff. We had already checked out when we realized our car would not start. When AAA couldn't get it running, we realized we were going to be in McAlester longer than planned. We were immediately checked back in - our same room - provided additional coffee - and received breakfast vouchers for the next morning (note - Oak Tree does not provide breakfast on the premises, however a breakfast voucher is provided for the Denny's at the intersection).

Day 2 at Oak Tree involved calling AAA again for a tow to the only import place in town, then trying to find a rental car at one of two places in town. As check-out time approached, we gathered our things and put them in our stranded car while we hoped for a call back to confirm we could get a rental car. When we tried to check out, Oak Tree wouldn't even take our key cards! Said they'd extend our stay as long as necessary until we found a car. Then, offered us a ride to the rental location!

Another note: Beyond the parking lot at Oak Tree is a wooded hillside with creek running past. On a beautiful sunny cool morning, we saw several deer, grazing, and drinking from the stream. We saw a crane "fishing".

Oak Tree Inn is a basic hotel, reasonable priced, with coffee, microwave, and fridge in the rooms, and free wi-fi. The rooms are spotless and well furnished. The location is well hidden behind Lowe's on highway 69 - walking distance to restaurants and other shopping. We'd stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank LoveKatmandu
Odessa, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

Althought Oak Tree Caters to the Rail Road, That was the DARKEST room I've ever been in. In broad daylight it was Midnight in my room. Very quiet & peaceful. I was there to give some training for my Company. They accomadated my needs for a classroom as well. So if you need to sleep during the day. This is the place to go. It's close to EVERYTHING too. You are literally within 2 miles of anything you may need, and yet back away from all the noise and traffic that goes with it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank John S
Sidney, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

Must be a brand new place! Everything was comfy and spotless. I love the bed, and we had a good night's sleep. Probably the best kept secret on this strip of highway in Oklahoma! Yes it is located behind a Lowe's and we found out about it from one of the free travel coupon brochures you pickup at rest areas, Free coffeemaker, micro and frig. There is a free breakfast for both of us at Denny's which was a nice little plus, but would definitely stay here again on my next trip through Oklahoma.

Room Tip: New place, nice rooms, look for it behind the Lowes!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank EEE123_12
Mexia, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2011

This hotel is hidden behind Lowe's, and I can't remember now how we happened upon it. We stopped at three other hotels first. One lobby smelled of pinesol so I turned around and left there fast; the next one didn't have a laundry room; the next one had no vacancy. So I'm getting discouraged and tired when we found this place.

Thankfully, they had a room available with all the amenities I usually look for - coffeepot, hairdryer, fridge and microwave. The building was brand new and clean and smelled good (as in no smell at all). I needed a laundry room so I was given a room on the 4th floor right across the hall from it.

The service was great. The desk clerk was friendly and seemed to be on top of things. We needed extra coffee and she was very accommodating and generous. (Also, she knew how to pronounce Mexia, always worth an extra bonus point :) Free breakfast at Denny's was included in the room rate, which was lower than I expected for a brand new hotel.

The only negative I can even think of is the same one at every hotel - no smoking rooms, which makes it hard for the husband to have the most comfortable stay anywhere; can't put your pajamas on and be comfortable when you have to go outside several times. Of course, there was an elevator, but we took the stairs anyway. This is the only reason I would never be able to give 5 stars to anyone who didn't have smoking rooms, just our particular situation; nothing to do with the quality of this hotel.

It was very quiet the night we were there; I think it is mostly out-of-town workers who stay there. This was a great find and I'm glad we stumbled onto it. Will definitely stay there again if I'm ever back in McAlester.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple