“Spotless and New” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in McAlester
Mexia, Texas
“Spotless and New”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

This hotel is hidden behind Lowe's, and I can't remember now how we happened upon it. We stopped at three other hotels first. One lobby smelled of pinesol so I turned around and left there fast; the next one didn't have a laundry room; the next one had no vacancy. So I'm getting discouraged and tired when we found this place.

Thankfully, they had a room available with all the amenities I usually look for - coffeepot, hairdryer, fridge and microwave. The building was brand new and clean and smelled good (as in no smell at all). I needed a laundry room so I was given a room on the 4th floor right across the hall from it.

The service was great. The desk clerk was friendly and seemed to be on top of things. We needed extra coffee and she was very accommodating and generous. (Also, she knew how to pronounce Mexia, always worth an extra bonus point :) Free breakfast at Denny's was included in the room rate, which was lower than I expected for a brand new hotel.

The only negative I can even think of is the same one at every hotel - no smoking rooms, which makes it hard for the husband to have the most comfortable stay anywhere; can't put your pajamas on and be comfortable when you have to go outside several times. Of course, there was an elevator, but we took the stairs anyway. This is the only reason I would never be able to give 5 stars to anyone who didn't have smoking rooms, just our particular situation; nothing to do with the quality of this hotel.

It was very quiet the night we were there; I think it is mostly out-of-town workers who stay there. This was a great find and I'm glad we stumbled onto it. Will definitely stay there again if I'm ever back in McAlester.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple