“Not what it used to be.”

Quartz Mountain Resort Arts & Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lone Wolf
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I stayed here about 10 years ago, and it has came down hill a lot. The staff is friendly and helpful, however the grounds need maintenance. The lake is in desperate need of water! The is no water near the lodge, so requesting a lake view room is pointless. Dead fish and smell from the banks due to golden algae. The rooms are small but clean. There was a microwave in our room, but no fridge. The ice machine and vending machine on our floor were both out of order. The pool is "inside" with bay doors that open for warmer days. The hot tub is small and in desperate need of need paint, as it was chipping all around. We had dinner at the restaurant. The food was a pretty display, but a little on the cold side and not really that great. Our service was average. For the prices, I would suggest to drive to Altus and grab something hot. This is a nice and relaxing place if you are looking for a weekend getaway from everything modern. I do not recommend this place if you are not an outdoor kind of person, as there is not much to do.

Room Tip: Bring games or a good book to read, as the library here is owned by the arts and you are not allowed...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank my2cutekidz

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Check in process was speedy and pleasant, we had called the day before for a reservation. Our room was a lake view with a balcony, but the balcony is to small for chairs, however it was nice. The room was clean and comfortable. We asked for, and received a fridge. There was plenty of hot water and towels were adequate.
It`s about 100 yds from the parking lot to the rooms, plan accordingly.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Bill R
Reviewed February 19, 2013

On arriving the staff was very accommodating; they put a refrigerator in our room, with a microwave, and a pack and play, all for our baby. We were even surprised that we got free Champaign (it was Valentine’s Day weekend). The room we got had two full beds, which I’ll take the blame I didn’t clarify. (Now all that was fine and dandy) The buffet dinner that night was awesome and very well priced even though we were forced to pay 18% gratuity, for buffet service when the waitress only brought us water.
Now that I’ve mentioned the good stuff here goes the bad. My wife has celiac disease and was looking forward to their special desserts which boasted two gluten free desserts: a flourless no bake cake, and a gluten free chocolate torte, that was created by Chef Bola Togun. Neither of these was available. The lunch menu offered Kettle Fried Potato Chips with blue cheese dip, also my wife’s favorites, and this was not available either. Chef Bola’s Meatloaf and lobster bisque (one of my favorites) were also unavailable. We asked why so many problems, and we were told that that chef quit over a year ago and took his recipes. So why are they still up on the website? Needless to say my wife who had been waiting for this trip to treat herself after dieting, was not happy, and if she’s not happy, then I’m not happy.
The website also says the resort has satellite TV with extended channels, they did not, it was very basic cable with 3 or 4 ESPN channels, TBS, and local channels. They did not have A&E, History, Discovery, Food Network, MTV, VH1, or any premium channels.
The free WIFI was really limited the first night, making watching any videos (considering there wasn’t anything good on TV) impossible. The second night it worked.
The elevator broke the first night, and since we have to stroll a child we ended up having to carry all of our stuff up the stairs. They did have it back to running later. The staff was friendly, and tried to accommodate, but I think management needs to step up and either take the misinformation off the website or fix the issues.
While checking out the front desk person tried to charge me an extra 28 dollars, telling me that my card wasn’t charged the whole amount, I knew better, they eventually worked it out, but I’d feel bad for people who didn’t know to challenge the bill.
If it was up to me, would I stay there again, probably because the cost is pretty good, but since my wife will never return, neither will I.
If you like hiking, and some simple cliff climbing I would recommend driving down for the day, or finding a cabin to rent, or camp out. The weather was awesome in February and we really enjoyed that aspect.

Room Tip: Go during the cooler months, no snakes, and good hiking. Don't think you're getting resort s...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank Tracy S
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We had a very nice weekend at Quartz Mountain. The staff was very nice, our room was very clean and there was plenty to do outdoors. We had both the breakfast and dinner buffet at the Sundance Cafe and both were excellent with good variety. The location lends itself to dark, quiet nights so it's easy to relax. This resort would make an excellent place for a conference with very adequate facilities for such.

Room Tip: The lake is extremely low right now so "lake front" room means you can see it in the dista...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lynne R
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Some good, some bad.. Started with a cold evening when we arrived and got a room with a broken heater. Had to change rooms. Next day the room beside us also had a heater out and the noise from the removal and replacemwnt went on from 4-7pm. It was quite a racket. Rooms have no minifridge or microwave and are all 50-100yds from the parking area so carrying a cooler is a chore. Stayed Friday/Saturday nights. Saturday one of the ice machines died and it was difficult to find ice. Sunday morning at check out the computers died and it took 15 minutes to check out. There is a wonderful library you can wander through but you can't look at any of books (locked behind glass). They should simply close and lock the library door, it was just a tease. I doubt our experience is the norm but it sure put me off of ever going back.

The rooms are also showing their age. Popcorn ceilings, thread bare rugs, toilet didn't flush right and the shower head was much more like a garden hose than shower. I'm 6' tall and the shower heads are about 5' from the floor (I just don't get that).

The lake itself is dying up. The water is now 1/4 a mile from the lodge and must be down 50ft or so. The drought has also caused a massive fish kill at the lake and it will be years before it recovers if it ever does. I feel sorry for the birds that come next year looking for fish to eat. I doubt there will be any left as there were literally tons of dead fish littering the shore.

Restaurant is a review of it's own.

The good of it.. Shower stayed hot and the rooms were really clean and neat. The cleaning lady was very helpful at getting me an extra pack of decafe coffee. The hiking trails around the lodge are scenic and there is something for almost everyone except the most hard core of hikers.

Room Tip: Odd number rooms face the main lodge building, even numbers face what's left of the lake. Be sur...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Arlon M
Reviewed February 12, 2013

This resort is in a fantastic location...the Quartz Mountains...flora and fauna are truly wonderful. Great hiking and bike paths. The lake is very low, so you need a boat to fish. The restaurant at the resort, Sundance Cafe, is very good. The prices are fair and the portions are generous. The room is ok..not particularly posh, but the bed was comfortable. They have excellent weekend getaway rates, so checkout the specials, especially if you just want to kick-back over a two days.
Grounds were well maintained...recommend this place if you like to get out and explore. The golf course is in good shape and a nice challenge.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view room.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Fred W
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I am currently on a project in Altus, OK., and staying in a small motel there etc. Quartz mountain has been a life safer. I head up there every Saturday and Sunday. Somedays I spend a few hours at the resort/conference center just relaxing in the library. They have a nice little art gallery that is great to view. I have a favorite painting there!. Also on most visits there is a piano in the hall of the center that gives me the chance to bang out a few ballads!
My favorite is the bouldering on the granite mountains. You can make a little trek over to Baldy
mountain for some strenuous climbing. I climb about three quarters of the way up. On nice days there are more serious climbers trying to reach the summit with ropes etc. Then when I want to do some serious bouldering I have another spot at Quartz that provides a great workout
hiking up the mountain. Here you can summit without using ropes etc. I have found a few nice spots to just sit down, doff the shoes, socks and shirt and get soaked in by the sun and the blissful quiet. I also have enjoyed a few hikes on the shore of the lake. They even have a sand beach there. Seems because of the drought the lake is much lower then it has been in the past. They have a performing arts center on the grounds. Have not been able to get inside, but this would be a great place for a concert (outside) or show. There is a main hotel at the lodge center and they have various other camping spots scattered around. Since I am staying in Altus, OK I cannot give a review of the hotel at the center. My drive up is interesting as at the start of this small mountain range there is a awesome log cabin style home. I would love to meet the owner one day and see the outside/inside of this home. Since it is out of season you will pass an abandon amusement park. Would make for some great still pictures. In season seems like it would be a fun little family place. Golfers, there is a golf course with nice views of the range. Overall just an awesome place for me to chill out. The painting I referred to earlier gives a great representation of the textures and colors that these granite boulders possess, with a tinge exaggertion by the artist, thank you very much. I hope to get there at night, (small moon clear night) one day and see a sky/star show. My only sadness with this spot is I am always there alone. It would be great to share with my wife/sons/ or friends. Would be awesome to hike with my old Labrador (Angel), really would be a blast hiking with a dog friend.
Thus if you like the outdoors and have a day to spend please head out to this area. I gaurantee you will enjoy this small little treasure!

Room Tip: Sorry as I mentioned on my review I have not stayed overnight at the hotel. The staff that I have en...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Altus
Days Inn Altus
Days Inn Altus
#2 of 7 in Altus

Been to Quartz Mountain Resort Arts & Conference Center? Share your experiences!