“Beautiful view/Food and swimming area lacking”

Quartz Mountain Resort Arts & Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lone Wolf
Reviewed May 9, 2011

The setting here is beautiful! We swam on Saturday night and the pool and hot tub were both cloudy and needed to be cleaned. It seemed like many things needed a little TLC at the resort. Everything was a little run down. On Sunday morning we had breakfast at the Sundance. We all ordered the breakfast bar and it was still pretty early when we arrived in the dining area. It took about 5 minutes just to get seated and there were only about 3 other tables occupied in the dining area at that time. The food on the bar was dried out and I had to request more bacon and eggs because both were empty and bacon they brought out at that time to refill the bar with was very dried out. For the prices that they have on the menu you would expect the food to be of better quality.--For example-pop on the menu --$3.95!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank cryskirk

Reviewed April 28, 2011

My husband and I had our honeymoon here on May 6, 2001. We are returning next week for the 10th time. That first year we had such a wonderful time. Each year after it seemed like things just got worse and worse. Our room wasn't cleaned, the food in the restaurant wasn't very good, the air conditioning/heating made it hard to be comfortable. The first year we were there they had cable but took that away,ect. We love the quietness and the beauty of the lodge. We used to love to swim but the past couple of times the pool was not clean. We keep coming back because we keep hoping things will get better....that the lodge return to the way it was that first year we were there.

• Stayed: May 2010
3  Thank Schuler68
DavidHenderson, General Manager at Quartz Mountain Resort Arts & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2011

I thank you for your comments and for your loyalty. I do apologize that your experiences in the past have not been as good as your first stay with us. I do want to assure you that we constantly strive to improve the service and products and I look forward to your stay with us this year so that you can experience the improvements we have made.

David Henderson

Reviewed April 10, 2011

i decided to come here from Lawton where i had stayed the night before..I wish i had stayed in lawton... Initial thought as i pulled up was it looked tired and shabby but you cannot always tell from outside and it is a long way from anywhere so thought i would stay anyway.I had called ahead and got a price( I had asked for the cheapest rate as i was a solo traveller didnt need a fancy room) but whn i got there i was given a lower rate, Fab, i thought.. The room was ok nothing special the corridors are dark and that put me off. the room was not particularly clean loads of dust and cobwebs the cooling unit blew dust into the room cos it hadnt been cleaned.went to get a drink from the vending machine none where working. went to use the spa not a chance! it needed completely overhauling it was gross as was the pool. decide to do some work on the laptop but no lead available so had to get one sent up...one issue after another, all in all i wish i hadnt bothered

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank mechellet
Reviewed April 4, 2011

As the purchasing agent for an entity which scheduled a conference at the facility and having worked extensively with its representives (much more so than when arranging similar events at similar facilities), I was very disappointed and frustrated with the services and staff. The meeting areas shown during an earlier tour and specifically requested were not the meeting areas actually provided and they were not set up properly or in a timely manner. Then the sales staff tried to tell us we had rented one of the meeting areas for only one day instead of two and they were just going to throw our people out and leave them twisting in the wind. How fortunate for us that the management had insisted we enter into a contract and said contract stated exactly what we were getting and for how long. Unfortunately, if the management spent as much time managing the facility and serving its customers as it did pushing paper, we probably would not have experienced any problems. In their defense, they had at least two other large groups. On the other hand, if that resulted in substandard service then they probably were overbooked. A successful conference requires more than space. It requires adequate and competent staff.

Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank OkieOnTheGo
Reviewed February 26, 2011

I have been to this establishement many times and each time I've been disappointed. I keep. hoping that they will get management who knows how to run a restaurant! It is such a great place too-I would go there and so would everyone else if they could just get things right!!!! The beautiful dining room has glass all around to see the good veiws but its so dirty you really cant see anything but that!!!! The tables were dirty, the floor was dirty, the menus were dirty. The food was ok the last time i went but it kinda tastes like thye take everything out of he freezer and pop it in the microwave. Youd think with all the empty tables youd have alot of time to clean up the place but apparently not. This place could be the toast of the area if it didn't, sorry to say this, "suck". I have heard many, many people complain of the same thing. They will probabaly have to shut it down someday due to these negatives-such a shame. Need the show "Ramseys Kitchen Nightmares" for sure.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank outtahere_11
Reviewed January 26, 2011

To start off with, my husband, son and I usually stay at the Lodge around a dozen times a year. When you have family in Rocky & Mangum, it really is the only option. We travel to OK several times a year from Dallas for one family gathering or antoher. We also spend a week every summer at the lodge while the rest of our family braves the campgrounds for our family reunion. Our most recent visit was for my cousin's wedding in the Amphitheater. It was a beautiful fall wedding.

I travel a great deal for business all over the Southwest & California, and I have to say that this place is far better than average for as cheap as guest rooms are.

The staff is friendly and always willing to help when needed.

The restaurant is average. I do remember being sorely disappointed the first couple of times we visited, but after figuring out what I liked on the menu, I've haven't been disappointed since. The waitstaff is a toss-up. Half of the time, our service is outstanding. The other half of the time, it is dismal. What is a bonus, is the management team. If ever I have felt the need to share a questionable or negative experience with the management, they have always responded with honesty and integrity. I can appreciate that a lot.

The cleanliness of the rooms and the grounds is average. I do have a beef with some of the plumbing in some of the rooms in which we have stayed... slow drains that lead to mildewed shower curtains. That said, the staff is always super quick to come change a gross shower curtain and give the bathroom a quick once-over on the 2 occasions we've called to complain/ask for assistance.

The beds are firm. Be prepared for that. No kidding people. Firm.

Rollaway beds are available and fit nicely in the room with a little re-arranging. My husband and I usually get a King room with a rollaway for our son.

The a/c units are kind of like the wait staff... hit or miss. We have rarely had issue, but there have been the occasional stay where the unit sounds like a leaky dripping faucet or has a knock in its motor. It's been a while since any of that nonsense has happened, so I'm assuming the a/c units have been updated.

The pet policy is nice and the deposit is next to nothing.

The views are the best you are going to get in SW Oklahmoma. Being near the lake is awesome. Being near hiking trails is awesome. Dealing with nature is not so awesome, but hey what do you expect... it's a state park. And being a Native from the area, I can deal better than most... maybe urban life has made me soft?

The pool area has been covered in spiders only once in all of my years and multiple visits. The hot tub is nice, but could use some serious updating.

I do wish the entire grounds were non-smoking. What's the point in pure mountain air when some hillbilly is sucking and blowing cancer next to you? Ummm... eww.

There are usually great off-season specials.

All in all, this beats anything that is available in Altus.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 3, 2011

We had brunch with a friend of our on 1/2/2011. We had excellent food and service.

There have been some very positive changes in the Quartz Mountain Resort Arts & Conference Center

This is a very beautiful, uniqiue area. Outstanding Resort!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
DavidHenderson, General Manager at Quartz Mountain Resort Arts & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2011

Thank you very much for the great comments about your experience in the restaurant. We have a great staff and menu choices and with the restaurant overlooking Lake Altus-Lugert and the mountains, this only enhances the dining experience.
Again, thank you for the great comments and we look forward to your next visit.

David Henderson

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lone Wolf
Hampton Inn & Suites Altus
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Altus
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Altus
Days Inn Altus
Days Inn Altus
#2 of 7 in Altus

Been to Quartz Mountain Resort Arts & Conference Center? Share your experiences!