WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of SpringHill Suites Lawton

SpringHill Suites Lawton
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Lawton
Cocoa Beach, Florida
“Awesome night of the arts from the local university”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

Great hotel staff and management excellent! Really enjoyed their hospitality! Breakfast was adequate and area was clean. Really enjoyed the artist expo on Thursday night! Friday night the power went out and now waiting to resolve it. Hope we have power!

• Stayed December 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Accomac
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

Made reservations months in advance and when I showed up they took one look at my CAC and said it is their policy to only give the government rate to active duty military. The posted rate rules said "US Federal govt and active duty military only", which at every other Marriott property means government employees and military members. Funny thing was that I've stayed at this motel before, but they changed their policy since then. The manager wouldn't even come out to the desk and speak with me about it. I had to find another motel for my three night stay in Lawton. I contacted Marriott customer service and after two months they said it is up to the manager of the hotel to resolve guest issues. So if you have a problem with the manager at a Marriott you are out of luck I guess. So, if you are planning a trip to Lawton, plan to stay somewhere else to start with instead of having to change when you get there. Don't waste your time complaining to Marriott customer service either.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank VAnetSteve
kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

Loved the new look at the SpringHill Suites - I stayed here last year and they had a renovation recently. They also have changed their breakfast...SO yummy!! My room is big and very stylish. I am coming back for sure! Oh and by the way...the staff is so friendly. I need that when I am traveling.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012 via mobile

We were surprised and pleased to see how large the rooms were on our one night stay here. We had a king bed with a queen pull out couch and still had plenty of space to be comfortable. Our bed & pillows were lousy. Its too bad Marriott didnt go the extra mile with a comfortable bed- that would probably haave bumped our rating to a 4 or 5. Hotel lobby is welcoming & new looking. Joesph at the front desk was helpful & informative. Breakfast was the usual affair with waffles,various breads & cereal etc.
**we had a terrific meal at Luigi's. It's not listed on the trip advisor site or I would have reviewed it there. Delicious homemade garlic buns delivered to our table as we pursued the extensive Italian menu. Portions are very large & prices are very reasonable. Excellent attentive servers. We arrrived at 6 on Friday night by 6:30 there was a healthy line out the door.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Four Lone Stars B
Fairfield, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

Like other reviewers I tend to trust the Marriott hotels. This hotel did not disappoint. The rooms are mini suites with a living area, desk area and a small kitenette equipped with a microwave, mini fridge, cofee maker and bar size sink. There are also two large flat screen tv's. One is across from the sofa and the other in the bed area. Room was clean, spacious and well equipped. The pool was sort of dirty and we did not go in. The exercise area is typical for a hotel. The buffet breakfast was great. Much more than I expected. Joseph who worked the front desk is exceptional. He goes out of his way to be helpful. We were there for our grandsons Army graduation. Stayed for four nights. You would be hard pressed to find a better hotel in the area.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms by the elevator because that is also where the ice machine is located
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank hairobandaro
Moore, Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

Positives: New Springhill Suites decor, spacious and clean room, above-average breakfast
Negative: Scum around pool sides

Our stay at the Lawton Springhill Suites began on a high note, as the front desk attendant greeted us warmly and quickly processed our reservation. Marriott associates generally excel at customer service; the folks in Lawton are no exception. Even the housekeepers were extremely courteous. Without exception, they acknowledged us in passing, and allowed us to "go first" when entering an elevator or walking down the hall. We're just regular folks who don't expect preferential treatment, even at upscale hotels, but it is refreshing to be treated so politely, especially at a two-star hotel.

Apparently, the entire property has recently been renovated using the newest Springhill Suites color and fabric palette. We'd seen a hotel decorated like this last year and thought it was great. The result in Lawton is extremely bright and pleasing.

Our king suite possessed ample space, and was one of the cleanest rooms we've ever had the pleasure of staying in. All appliances functioned perfectly, but the mattress sagged a little on both sides. I guess it was "good enough" to keep during the remodeling.

We enjoyed the flat-screen television and wide variety of channels available. All our favorite networks were accessible. Many hotels block all but the basics in hopes you'll buy an in-room movie (something we've never done).

Although this hotel is located on the far eastern edge of Lawton, we were able to reach stores, restaurants, and attractions in a short time. The town is laid out on a grid with a handful of major streets that run the breadth of the community, making travel a snap.

We found a nice variety at the breakfast bar, including meats, boiled and scrambled eggs, cereals and breads, and the ubiquitous waffle maker. Food items were kept well-stocked through the breakfast period. The dining area is spacious, colorful, and clean.

Other amenities we noticed during our stay complimentary cookies in the afternoon, USAToday newspapers (weekdays only), coffee and tea. A small gym is available next to the pool.

That was the "good news". Now, for the "bad news"...

Because most of our trips are rushed, we rarely enter a hotel pool. This trip was an exception, as we were on a "getaway" weekend. Our plan was to take time for all those fun things we don't usually do. Swimming was at the top of our list. The indoor pool at this location was the single biggest reason we chose Springhill Suites over other hotels, including the adjacent Fairfield Inn (with its outdoor pool). We didn't want to cook in 100+ degree temperatures while swimming in direct sunlight.

At first glance the Springhill pool and surroundings looked fine, but after we got in we noticed a scummy ring on the tile. The film extended from the surrounding floor down to water level. It circled the pool. Additionally, we found a number of black threads floating on the surface. (At first we thought they were hairs but they were definitely fabric.)

It also seemed the water contained too little chlorine, but that's an opinion that may not be true.

I told the front desk attendant about the scum and received an apology for the situation. A note was made to the maintenance staff, but it was too late for us. We decided against returning to the pool the following day.

Given Marriott's attention to detail, I think the pool problem will be quickly corrected...but you may want to ask in advance if you plan to swim. Our "four out of five" rating is a vote of confidence. If the pool is not cleaned, the rating easily falls to a "three".

Except for the condition of the pool, our stay at this hotel was excellent. We hope to return to the area later this year for some sightseeing. Springhill Suites will be considered for lodging, but I'll ask about the pool before finalizing plans.

Room Tip: If you want to swim, check to make sure the pool has been scrubbed.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank The_Real_Birdcatcher
OKC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

I am a Marriott fan as I find their hotels to be consistently good. There’s always room for improvement at the edges, but I have yet to be disappointed overall. This hotel is no exception. I’ve stayed at other hotels in the area and I can tell you some of them were real dumps. I’ve also stayed at the Marriott Fairfield next door to this hotel and while it was fine for a Fairfield…the bottom end of luxury in the Marriott stable of hotels…this Springhill Suites was a significant step up…and about as good as you’ll find in a small Army town like Lawton.

Being a suite hotel the room was a studio type with a large living area with a separate nook for the work desk and bar area. Plenty of room to stretch out for one or two folks and a very large sleeper sofa for those with kids. The kingsized bed in the sleeping portion of the room was quite comfortable with a decent arrangement of pillows of varying fluffiness. The room was clean and orderly with adequate towels and toiletries.

The staff was friendly and helpful. Indoor pool, exercise room, and breakfast areas were all perfectly fine. The exercise room had limited equipment, but what they had was of good quality and well maintained. The morning breakfast was beyond the typical basic warm and cold items...they even had real bacon one morning cooked perfectly crispy the way I like it which had become rather unusual as most places opt for the barely warmed Canadian style turkey bacon or sausage.

My only gripe which covers most hotels I stay at including Marriotts is the speed of their “High Speed” internet. High speed it most definitely is not…it’s fine for VPNing into work for e-mail and other similar activities…but it’s really too slow to do anything requiring real bandwidth such as watching a video clip on Youtube…one spends more time watching the buffering icon then the clip.

Other than that one gripe I enjoyed my stay at this hotel and plan on using it the next time I’m in town providing they have rooms. It’s a popular hotel and it’s often difficult to get rooms, especially at the last minute so make your reservation early. Just one last note…if you have time…take a couple of hours to go north of Lawton to the Wichita Refuge. It’s a mountainous (yes…even in Oklahoma) large expanse containing all sorts of wildlife and great scenery. I spent a beautiful evening this trip where I hiked some of the numerous trails and saw everything from cute little prairie dogs to huge buffalo and a bull elk sporting a felt covered rack of horns to make any hunter goes nuts over. Don’t leave the park without going up to the top of Mt. Scott…you can drive up…to get birds eye views extending more then a hundred miles in all directions on a clear day. If you’re into the outdoors…you won’t regret making this side trip.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business