All reviewsbed and breakfastexcellent hostsprivate bathplace to staythe main housewestern oklahomaevery morningboise cityother gueststrail headbiscuits and gravydark skiesprickly pear cactusvickirogerscabinclayton
Reviewed June 26, 2016 via mobile

This part of Oklahoma at the far western tip of the Panhandle is the only slice of Oklahoma living on Mountain Time. I'd passed this ranch often on my way to hike to Oklahoma's high point on Black Mesa and to view the dinosaur tracks nearby. We finally stopped for a longer stay, way worth our time. The inn is charming with an amazing front porch with rocking chairs affording unimpeded views of Black Mesa. Friendly ranch cats and dogs are the first greeters, and then our friendly hosts. Former ranchers, forced out of the business by the results of State School Commission land trust litigation, these hardy ranchers sold their last cattle and kept the ranch house as a B&B. The hot breakfast is served at the time you ask, at 6 for those hiking the Mesa, later for those sleeping in. The Sunrise Cabin is brand new, has a fantastic view from its own porch, and has a fridge and coffee maker. We stayed in a comfortable bunkhouse room that shared the outhouse, far nicer than it sounds with all modern amenities and a well lit path hopping with toads. Rooms in the main ranch house have private baths. Great place! Please visit.

Stayed: June 2016, traveled with friends
2  Thank TeresaB25
Reviewed June 19, 2016 via mobile

Stayed there June 17 and 18. My 20 year old daughter and I wanted to visit this great area of Oklahoma for photos, exploring, etc. I can't say enough great things about Vicky and Monty Joe. They treat you like family and provide a wealth of knowledge about local places to go. If you want to visit the Black Mesa area, this is the place to stay! Wish I was not limited to only 5 stars. Will definitely return.

Stayed: June 2016, traveled with family
Reviewed June 17, 2016

This place was a nice diversion on our trip where we were used to staying in chain hotels. Vicky and Monte Joe were excellent hosts. The rooms are not luxurious but very nice, and it was great to be out in the middle of nowhere and see the stars and the open country. Breakfast was awesome and Vicky treated us like we were family. We'd definitely recommend and go back.

• Stayed: May 2016, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pocahauntis
Reviewed June 6, 2016

Black Mesa Bed & Breakfast has all the comfort and charm of visiting your favorite aunt and uncle in their country home. Vicki and Monty Joe are fantastic hosts and have made their home a place that I am sure anyone would love. The property is beautiful, welcoming and peaceful. The bed was extremely comfortable and I had a fantastic nights sleep, both nights of my stay. Breakfast was home cooked and plentiful and you absolutely must have a cup or two of coffee with the farm fresh cream. If you are lucky enough to get pecan pancakes, then I highly recommend the homemade prickly pear syrup. You won't regret it.

There are both cats and dogs at the property,along with a plethora of gorgeous birds, so bring binoculars to do some bird watching. They have a huge grill, so you can stop at the grocery in Boise City (36 miles away) and get provisions to make lunch or dinner if you like and picnic outside on the patio furniture.

Vicki and Monty Joe are the kind of people who love what they do and feel that they have a purpose to provide for others and you can tell, as they take pride in their work. I cannot recommend this place enough. I will definitely be going back.

• Stayed: June 2016, traveled with friends
2  Thank MsToots143
Reviewed April 26, 2016

Vicky and Monte are the finest of folks, accommodating, helpful and just plain nice. Even the menagerie of dogs and cats make you welcome. The setting is outstanding for most anything outdoorsy you are interested in. Vicky's breakfasts are down home cooking at its best, and you will not need lunch...watching the sunset creep up mesa behind the place is a fine end to a day.

Room Tip: Rooms are rustic, but well kept, as this is a working ranch. some of the rooms have shared bathhouses which are well appointed.
  • Stayed: April 2016, traveled solo