Wichita Mountains National Wildlife Refuge
Review Highlights
Camping in the wildlife refuge

Reviewed 1 week ago
Saskia V
Peace

A friend treated me to a trip just to see a spectacular sunrise. What a treat as the sun rose in... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
Louetta S
via mobile

All reviews prairie dogs longhorn cattle bison visitor center mount scott wichita mountains holy city medicine park free range great hiking day trip long horns hiking trails beautiful scenery roam freely picnic area spring and fall
Reviewed 1 week ago

I was in the refuge to do some photography. The campground was nice. I had a spot with a grill and fire pit, and picnick table. No water at the site. However the water pump was located nearby. The campground has a nice shower house with flush toilets. The other toilets are composting toilets and smell pretty ripe.
Mount Scott is now open to foot traffic only. The rule is you have to be off the mountain by dark. As a photographer this is a problem as it takes an hour to walk down after photographing the sunset. They need to adjust their hours now that the mountain road is closed to cars. The park ranger told me next time I am going to get a ticket... really?

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

A friend treated me to a trip just to see a spectacular sunrise.
What a treat as the sun rose in the sky.
The light reflected on the hills. Peaceful, BEAUTIFUL!
Can not wait to return!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Wide open spaces is what this area is about. There are many longhorns, prairie dogs, buffalo, and other wildlife along the trip.

Reviewed October 8, 2018 via mobile

This was our 2nd time here visiting but it is sad to see Mont Scott was closed! We stayed in Camp Doris with our RV. Just had a fabulous time exploring & hiking. We had to cut our trip short because it won't stop raining. Medison Park had a Art walk, the whole town gave us a little base camp vibes. We'll go back for camping & hiking again soon as possible. I think it will be even more beautiful in the winter snow!

Reviewed October 4, 2018 via mobile

Absolutly worth the trip to het there. Wonderful nature, animals and view! We went to Mt. Scott. There is a road you van walk all the way to the top.

Reviewed September 26, 2018

We visited in late September and the Elk were in 'rut', so we saw several bulls bugling and the antics that are associated with them. Not crowded during the week. stayed at Medicine Park. Great get a way for a couple of days. If you like being outdoors and enjoying nature away from the crazy world, this is the place for you.

Reviewed September 19, 2018 via mobile

Visited Wichita Mountains Reserve while on work trip to Oklahoma City. About 1 1/2 hour drive and glad we made the trek. Driving into Reserve we were able to see bison and prairie dogs and plenty of longhorn cattle. Our group chose to hike the Buffalo Trail and glad we did. I would budget three hours or so for this hike and pay close attention as some sections of the trail are narrow and hard to see. Would rate this trail a 2 on a 1-5 scale mainly for footing in spots. Able to see turkey, longhorns, and tarantulas along the hike. Pretty landscapes as well. Worth the time!

Reviewed September 16, 2018

I participated in a 3.5 hour elk bugling tour early Saturday in mid-September. The bus was full and you have to get there early or else people on standby will be given your seat. The most interesting aspect of this tour for me was being able to visit a part of the refuge which is normally not open to the public. That said I have to say that I was not impressed with all the hunting terminology being used as well as the conversations about killing the animals and or using parts of the animal for jewelry etc. These subjects were a a recurring theme during this tour. Some of the volunteers were hunters as were many tour participants. I expected the emphasis to be more on the natural history of the park and the elk rather than on the size of the animal, its antlers etc. There was interesting narration during the tour although a lot of it was more of a historical nature associated with the park. Unfortunately it was really hard to hear the speaker very well - there were microphone problems.
People were not as quiet as they could have been when we were outside the bus which apparently can spook the elk.
Anyone taking this tour needs to be aware that even through binoculars the animals are pretty far. Positive aspect of tour was the availability of binoculars for those who didn't bring them (we did).
The volunteers were calling the elk with their bugles every time we stopped to listen for them. This was a bit overdone and distracting in my opinion even though I understand they were trying to get the elk to come closer.

I honestly can say that I enjoyed listening to the elk last year on my own while camping at the refuge. We could hear them even from the campground and if you go out near sunset or early to areas with forest/grassland edge you have a good chance to both hear and see them. They will be equally far away but you won't have 20+ people making noise while you are trying to enjoy the elk sounds and the general ambience.

In short I would not do this tour again. The drive was rather long (17 mile dirt road loop) punctuated by 4-5 short stops. However, this may be the only way to see a part of the refuge that is normally not open to the public.

3  Thank Sarracenia
Reviewed September 15, 2018

Easy to get to and spend a day walking or driving to see prairie dogs, wild buffalo, burrowing owls, turtles, natural grasslands, etc. Informative visitors center.

1  Thank RamblinJudi
Reviewed September 14, 2018 via mobile

We drove through the refuge and stopped at several spots throughout. It is filled with breathtaking views and beautiful scenery. We saw Bison, Longhorns, Prairie Dogs and birds, although they say many more roam. The animals roam freely and it is really awesome to see them in that habitat. The road to Mt Scott is closed because of road damage, but you can still hike to the top (3miles one way). The visitors center is also the museum and definitely worth checking out. The staff was very helpful and knowledgeable about the must sees in the refuge. Would go back several times if time allowed us to.