Wichita Mountains National Wildlife Refuge
Review Highlights
Camping in the wildlife refuge

I was in the refuge to do some photography. The campground was nice. I had a spot with a grill and... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
Saskia V
Peace

A friend treated me to a trip just to see a spectacular sunrise. What a treat as the sun rose in... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
Louetta S
via mobile

All reviews prairie dogs longhorn cattle bison visitor center mount scott wichita mountains holy city medicine park free range great hiking day trip long horns hiking trails beautiful scenery roam freely picnic area spring and fall
Reviewed July 19, 2013

If I lived close by, I would be here all the time! We saw LOTS of wildlife...deer, bison, longhorn cattle (free range), fox squirrel, prairie dogs, snakes, geese etc. Keep your eyes peeled for critters! The prairie dog "town" was great, but it is obvious people have fed them. There are signs everywhere that tell you not to because their bodies don't process salt and it's unhealthy for them. Ignore the begging. We took one trail by the lake that led to a dam that you could walk on. We also checked out a few of the other roads off the main one. The visitor's center has quite a few exhibits. Great place and it's FREE!!!!

Reviewed July 11, 2013

59,000 plus majestic acres national refuge is home to free range buffalo, Texas longhorn cattle, prairie dogs, elk and deer. We also offer incredible scenery and views for hikers and photographers. Recreation opportunities include mountain biking, rock climbing, rappelling, approximately 15 miles of hiking trails, campsites, picnic areas, and fishing. The Quanah Parker Nature and Visitor Center is on site and features exhibits on wildlife and habitats of the Wichita Mountains, interactive and changing displays, artwork, videos and films, and a bookstore. Nature and wildlife tours are periodically scheduled throughout the year, with required reservations, and departing from the headquarters office either by foot, on bus or a combination of both. Charons Garden Wilderness Area and the North Mountain Wilderness Area are located within the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge. Drive to the top of Mt. Scott, 2,500 ft, for a breath taking view of southwest Oklahoma. There are miles and miles of trails to explore and fun to be had!

1  Thank Zeak N
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Driving up from TX you can see the hills looming in the distance. As you inch closer, the magic comes into view! Large hills that we TX flatlanders call mountains are simply beautiful. There were buffalo standing along the road as we first entered, and then we looked down and saw prairie dogs scurrying all around. We took a picnic lunch (from Lawton) and sat at the edge of a parking area overlooking beautiful Mt. Scott. I've been to many mountain areas in CO, NM, and AZ. This was equally beautiful; the drive up Mt. Scott is fantastic! Next time I'm bringing a bike; the cars are far and few between, and the roads are mostly flat. The hiking trails are perfect, and there are many attractions worth visiting including Medicine Park. There's just scenery all around. The visitors center is top notch, too! ALL FREE!! I would not advise going if its over 95 degrees. This is a HOT part of the country. We lucked out and it was only 80 that day. You need to visit here!

1  Thank Marty S
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Each time I visit the area I go to the Refuge Always enjoy driving thru and seeing the different animals, beautiful views and flowers.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

The Wichita Mountain Wildlife Refuge is a fantastic place to visit. There are various hiking trails you can follow. Buffalo roam free (but view them from a safe distance in your car), The Holy City is a great place to wander through, where a reeenactment of Jesus Christ's life is performed every Easter season.