“Beautiful and Breathtaking views!”

Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Heavener
More attraction details
Owner description: A 54-mile scenic highway cutting through the breathtaking Ouachita Mountains.
Reviewed October 23, 2013

First time doing the Talimena scenic drive. Started in Talihina Oklahoma and end in Mena Arkansas then returned back to OK. Enjoyed the different lookout stops to enjoy the beautiful scenery. Also enjoyed walking the trails at the end of the drive at Mena. Just beautiful and so peaceful. Will definitely go back and would like to see the fall colors and tree leaves changed. When i went the leaves were just starting to turn so probably a few more weeks before they peak.

3  Thank JDJOKC

Reviewed October 20, 2013

We looked on computer and read about the Talamena Drive and been wanting to go for the past few years. Wish we would have stay with out routine and packed a lunch. The Internet talked about places tucked back around almost every turn. NO THAT'S NOT TRUE!
We always take a few snacks and plan for a pick nick but thinking there were things at almost every turn we didn't pack a lunch. It would have been great if we would have, but we didn't.
We ended up driving and driving and not seeing anything but road and trees. There were a couple really good spots for a pick nick but we did take one thinking there were places to stop WRONG, don't get me wrong there were lots of turn outs but no places to stop and eat, visit, look at like shops or anything like we thought by reading the net. The other reviews are right very step must be paying attention very closely, driver didn't get to look much due to turns, turns and turns.
It was a pretty drive but in our minds we. Had made the decission it was going to be great. It was nice but not as Nice as north east Oklahoma.
When we finally got to Mena ark we were ready to get out of the car in a big way. Wish we would have brought a pick nick you really need one because you could break up the drive and have a great place for lunch and relax.
If you have never been it is worth the long drive just prepare better than we did!!! Our lose your gain. Have a great time and enjoy what's really there.
Pick your time better than we did, there were men walking down the road with rifles deer hunting, not sure why they were looking for deer on the road unstead of in the woods where you think the deer may be ,more likely then not lol. Make sure you stop at the top it feels like your on top of the world.
We had a couple great days but it imazes me just a little break in normal came back to bit us.
Enjoy what Oklahoma really has to offer its a beautiful place!!!
One thing that really stood out if you don't like out houses make sure you use restroom befor you start up the hill.

Have a great time the next couple weeks should be beautiful!!!

3  Thank Gosomewhereelse51642
Reviewed October 20, 2013

This drive is through some wonderful scenery. We were a little early for the fall color and things were just beginning to turn, but it was still beautiful and worth the drive. There are a lot of places to pull over and absorb the quite beauty.

1  Thank Ty_TX2013
Reviewed October 15, 2013

This was a very nice scenic byway. It was very windy and steep. There was one mountain that was so steep that I started at 45 mph at the bottom and I pushed the throttle little more than halfway down and noticed I was all the way down to 20 mph and still losing speed before I even got to the top, I had to push the gas all the way down just to get to the top! Lots of places to stop except for gas. I started with a half tank of gas and just barely made it to mena from talihena. There were NO places at all to stop for gas.

5  Thank Ian_and_Ivy
Reviewed October 2, 2013

My first time to visit the Talimena Scenic Byway. It is just breathtaking. Pictures do not do it justice, but I will put a few on for you to enjoy. I am looking forward to going back when the leaves change in a couple of weeks. Ride your motorcycle if you have one. It is 54 miles of driving across the mountains in Oklahoma and into Mena, Arkansas.

2  Thank 264ever