“Best kept secret”

Queen Creek, AZ
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Best kept secret”
Reviewed June 30, 2008

I can't believe I'm the first to review this Oklahoma treasure. It shouldn't be THAT surprising since I lived in Oklahoma for more than 20 years and never heard of it ... and my Dad taught Oklahoma history & geography for years! Anyway, this is a treasure not to be missed. It is worth the drive even if you are in OKC. It's been a few years but mostly I remember the stained glass, much of it Tiffany. There is also a room with three huge stained glass windows with the most vivid colors you can imagine. I never saw anything like it even while traveling in Europe. You can take a virtual tour on their website but please go see it in person. Years ago when I toured they let you take all the pictures you wanted. One of my favs was the rose room with so much wealth down to triple gold plated screws holding the hinges in the door. Several of the rooms are devoted to ancient civilizations, Pompeii, Asyrrian, Egyptian. The library is phenomenal as well with beautiful quotes arfully painted on the walls. The atrium holds the pen that the president signed our state into existence with. I wish I had pictures but I visited more than 15 years ago before I had a digital camera. The guide told us that the Interior Designer went on to decorate Rockefeller Center in NYC after she completed this. Please don't miss this Oklahoma treasure.

5 Thank Soonergrrrl

Been to Guthrie Scottish Rite? Share your experiences!