“Worst hotel in years! Sleeping in the car would be better!”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Guthrie-North Edmond
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Guthrie
Reviewed July 4, 2012

I stayed at this facility two weeks ago. I say stayed as I checked in and finally had to check out when they could not fix several issues with several rooms.

First room was not made up with dirty bed linen piled in a chair. Second room the A/C did not work. As it was 103 degrees outside, this would not work. Finally the third room was clean and the A/C did work, but when I went in the room it was TURNED OFF! Ok, so I turned it on full cold and went out to have a bite to eat and let the room cool off. Turns out I was told that the hotel manager tells the maids to turn the A/C off to save $$. Guess they have never checked into a room that is over 100 degrees and needed to get to sleep right away.

Returned and tried to log onto the internet to pick up my emails. Got an error message saying "cannot log you on at this time" and promptly called the front desk. Was told that if there were too many people in the hotel on the system that it would not allow anyone else on. ????? She then refused to let me talk with the manager saying "she is not accepting calls tonight!" While walking down to the front desk ran into a large group in the meeting room. I asked them about the internet and they had the same experience, not being able to get online.

Called Holiday Inn's customer service line and got ahold of Judy. Judy could not believe the issues and promised to call me back in 15 minutes. I know she did call the front desk as the desk clerk told me they had talked. The front desk clerk told me that she would not let Judy talk to the manager as well, so we are batting 1000% here.

Finally at 9 pm I called the front desk to ask when I would be able to get on the internet and when I could expect a return call from Judy (remember "I will call back in 15 minutes" from her?) and was told that they could not help me and that I could check out and not be charged for the room if I wished. Did so and at 9:15 was at a Best Western hotel across the parking lot.

The Best Western had cool rooms (although a bit dated) and the internet worked fine the first time out. You can do better than this hotel... for that matter sleeping in your car would be better than this place!

Room Tip: Tip? Do not stay here as long as its like this. Almost any other hotel is better than this one.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed June 18, 2012

I stayed here as a stopover on my way through the state driving from Texas on up to Kansas. They tout smokeless but you have to walk through a gauntlet of smokers just to enter the hotel. The hotel is set back from the road so you have to figure out if you drive up the hill or down the road (drive down the road) then go between businesses to get to the property. In my estimation this is the best hotel in a depressing town in the "middle of everywhere." Being a hotel that doesn't suck as bad as the rest in the area is a poor way to run your property. Upon check-in, I find the pool and spa are unavailable. Now reading reviews apparently this has been the case for an extended period. I wrote IHG Priority Club and received only an auto-reply. I will follow up as property management has not supplied a response. The fitness room was fine and the room was average. I felt the elevator was difficult to access and oddly shaped, as though the architect didn't think people would be using a luggage cart or even taking luggage onto the elevator. There are restaurants nearby, but none are inspiring. If you have the option to keep driving either on to OKC or Wichita, I'd recommend it.

Room Tip: Rooms in another city might be slightly less depressing.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 12, 2012

We had a large suite. It was very clean. There was an HBO Guide but the manager said they no longer have it. The pool and hot tub was still not working. It appears the manager or owner of this hotel is cutting amenities. This is a nice clean fairly new hotel and it is a shame the amenities ate not up to holiday inn express standards. We stayed there for a family funeral and would nit stay there again. There are cheaper accommodations in gutherie with working pools and hot tubs. My Spode works out every morning. The equipment appears to be Wal-mart quality, doesn't work well and is dangerous. Holiday inn corporate should do something about this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wheat99
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Guthrie-North Edmond, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2012

Dear 56854Traveler,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. It's nice to hear you liked the cleanliness of your suite. I would like to apologize for the issues you had regarding our facilities and in-room HBO. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service and quality of its product. For that reason, your comments are really troubling and I will make sure that this will be looked into. I have sent you a private message to obtain additional details on your recent stay. We look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Anthony M

Reviewed June 5, 2012

We went here for our one-year anniversary and was very disappointed. The pool wasn't working. The hot tub wasn't working. (Why didn't they tell us that before we booked? We would have stayed elsewhere!) Apparently this is a constant problem if you'll look at their other reviews! They put us in a handicapped room and the shower head kept falling down as I tried to take a shower. Also, the bathtub was higher than normal bathtubs so when I stepped out of the tub, I almost fell. The breakfast was very disappointing, as well. I've had better breakfasts at 7-11. The silverware was plastic and so flimsy that the knife wouldn't cut the biscuit in half. The fork wouldn't cut the pancake. The only fresh fruit was two bruised bananas. Also, I wanted decaf coffee and they were out. I told the lady who said she was making more. I waited and waited.Finally, when I was finished eating my breakfast, the coffee was finally ready but then they were out of cream! I told the lady but she was too busy doing other things to refill the cream pitcher.... Disappointing and will never stay there again. PLUS-- The price was twice the cost of the hotel across the street (Sleep Inn I think it was called) and that hotel is much much better as I've stayed there a few times. I tried to get into that hotel but they were already booked.

Room Tip: Not sure. We were on bottom floor but we could hear neighbor's TV.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank darleenbaileybeard
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Guthrie-North Edmond, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2012

Dear darleenbaileybeard,

Thank you for taking the time out our your busy day to share your thoughts and comments regarding your stay with us. I’m very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. I apologize for the conditions of the pool and the hot tub, and regret you were not satisfied with the service you received. We take our guest comments very seriously as these are our best resource for improving the quality and services we offer to our guests.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and I hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Joel B

Reviewed May 21, 2012

When we first checked in they said the pool and hot tub have been broken for a while now and it wouldn't be fixed anytime soon. Then they looked up my reservation and said it was only for one night. I said "no, I have two rooms for two nights" and the manager proceeded to blame me for calling the 1-800 number rather than calling locally. I'm sorry, I figured I'd get the same result calling a 1-800 number for a company vs. calling you guys. I had the room on hold under my name but my father purchased both rooms. I've had a $222 charge on my credit card for the past 3 weeks with no response or call back from the hotel. I've now called twice to speak to the manager about this. Also, my dad was charged for two rooms at two different prices and the lady at the front desk said she couldn't help him because she didn't have permission to make changes to credit cards and her manager was out. So the manager would have to call my dad at a later date. So they charged my dad twice and said they'd call to remove the first charger later. What a mess and very unorganized business. They seriously need to work on their customer service skills.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Brianna S
Management response:Responded July 2, 2012

Dear Brianna S,

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Jaime W

Reviewed March 29, 2012

Heather was amazing - she was so patient as we changed our minds multiple times. This was truly an amazing level of service!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 5, 2012

I enjoyed booking our stay with Jerry. He was efficient, knowlageable and friendly. Thank you!!

Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guthrie
Hampton Inn & Suites Guthrie
La Quinta Inn & Suites Guthrie
Americas Best Value Inn - Guthrie
Holiday Inn Express Oklahoma City North
Holiday Inn Express Oklahoma Cit...
#46 of 154 in Oklahoma City
La Quinta Inn & Suites Stillwater -University Area
Sleep Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn & Suites
#8 of 14 in Edmond

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Guthrie-North Edmond? Share your experiences!