“Good Food at Good Prices”
Review of Stables Cafe

Stables Cafe
Ranked #3 of 64 Restaurants in Guthrie
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Derby, Kansas
“Good Food at Good Prices”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Cute place with really good down home food. The meats are smoked in a little building in the parking lot...smell is AMAZING! They have a very nice salad bar and a big enough menu selection to make it hard to make a decision.

My husband, our adult son, and myself visited at lunchtime on a Tuesday in August. We all ordered something different and we were all very happy with our food. My son placed an order that included onion rings. There were enough for all three of us to enjoy! They were the best any of us had ever had.

The service was very friendly and prompt. After the meal my son had hand scooped ice cream from the counter, which was also very good. All in all a very pleasant experience. We are moving to the Guthrie area in the fall and I am sure this will become a favorite for us.

Visited August 2012

Longmeadow
“Step back in time!”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Ate there twice during my stay (august 2012) Staff was very friendly, food was excellent and loved the ribs, and the chicken fried steak- homemade pies were excellent

Must take time to browse all the memorabilia-brings back childhood memories. American Pickers show would love it !

Visited August 2012
Guthrie, Oklahoma
“Not a place to be timid!”
Reviewed August 6, 2012

The Stables has an eclectic decor with everything from an old Beaver fur hat to a dummy bomb hanging from a ledge. The owners have hunted high and low to find unique Americana to decorate their establishment. Service can be slow during peak hours, but it's worth it. French fries piled high will dare your to eat them all. The Onion Rings are famous here and comes in mountains. The BBQ ribs here are a real treat. Nice big tender and falling off the bone good. Friday and Saturday night has a buffet with Ribs and chicken, corn on the cob, cobbler and a salad you build yourself from a custom salad wagon. Prices are average for the area and a good value.

• Visited July 2012
Valley Center
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“BBQ????”
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I heard from a neighbor who had stopped in within the last month how good the bbq was. Stopping at about 1PM we were quickly seated and the wait began. About 10 min later a server appeared and then disappeared another 10 min to get our drinks. When we finally got our food I was disappointed, the pulled pork was like it was straight out of the oven and had no smoke flavor at all. The "onion rings" were more like onion straws, however good but not what I expect when the menu says onion rings. When I order a bbq meal and it says it comes with beans, I am think baked beans not ham and beans. Bottom line, slow/poor service and not real bbq, would not recommend.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Grant G
Nebraska
“Love these ribs”
Reviewed July 26, 2012 via mobile

Eight of us went to Stables for lunch; 7 adults and one toddler. The restaurant wasn't very busy for a Wednesday around noon. It was a blistering hot day and the a/c inside was a welcome break. Stables' decor is basically like an antique store. Our server came right away and got our drink orders, she was very friendly and helpful. Mom and Dad ordered a taco salad each and the rest of us decided to split two ten dollar rib baskets, not because we weren't hungry, we were, rather because we have been to stables before and know their portions are huge. They ask you not to share on the lunch menu but for the regular menu sharing is encouraged. Two of us also took one trip to the salad bar which was reported to be fresh and tasty. The drinks came in no time, mostly we ordered monumental glasses of iced tea. They were so big the straws barely peeked over the edge. The taste and quality of the ribs were both wonderful. Each basket came with a generous portion of thin sliced onion rings which were also quite good with a bit of salt and a little ketchup. The five of us were barely able to finish the ribs and about half of the onion rings. Mom and Dad said the taco salads were delicious. On the negative side the place was a bit too cluttered for my taste and did not give the impression of being squeaky clean. In the mens room I was greeted by a cricket standing his ground in the middle of the floor. Cricket notwithstanding Stables is both a slice of heartland Americana and a place that serves some of the best BBQ around. I'm undecided between 4 and 5, I'll go with 4 since there is always room for improvement.