“Gorgeous & Peaceful Location with Nice Rooms”

and 1 more site!
Candlewyck Cove Resort
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Grove
Reviewed May 19, 2006

Here's a tribute to the Candlewyck Cove Resort, where I stayed for 3 nights for the wedding of my cousin. The new owners are renovating and adding onto the facilities, so there was lots of construction going on at the far end of the resort near the entrance. The driveway was also being torn up and replaced so a bit messy to enter and exit. Despite this, my stay was idyllic. I was in "Spruce", one of four King Suites in a building right on the water. Two cousins stayed beneath me and I never heard them. All the units have porches (shown in photo) which provide a peaceful retreat and lake views. At night, the owls and other birds occasionally pierce the darkness with their calls, adding to the charm of this place. A variety of boat docks appear to make pontooning available though we didn't investigate this option. The cabin next to my building was absolutely charming. Like my room, the furnishings were upscale and well kept, with refrigerator and microwave. The cabin, called the honeymoon cabin, is completely refurbished with top of the line everything. My room, though less elaborate, and also about 1/3 less in price, even had a had a gaslit fireplace. The facilities are also outdated in some ways. My jacuzzi tub was an older model that was so noisy, I could not relax while the jets were on. I really didn't mind since we were having so much fun and for the offseason price of $109, with the rest of the suite being more than acceptable, I just didn't want to fuss about this. The owners are really trying to get things shaped up and have their hands full. The caretakers are also wonderful, tho' very busy right now getting the place in shape. The suite below me had the same facilities, including the tub. There was also limited parking for the suites, though I was told that the renovations will change that, hopefully soon. Because we rented so much of the place, we were able to find spaces for all our vehicles. The main house, called the Big House, was rented for the kids and some other family. Unfortunately, it needs quite a bit of work to be really accomodating, though it too was clean. There are multiple light switches for almost every room in this house and yet, it seemed that none of us could find the one to work the lights we needed when we wanted them. The rooms are at odd angles and it's a strange floor plan. The washing machine did not work though we were told that was because the beautiful new granite countertop had just been installed and apparently the water had not been hooked back up. I would imagine it's working fine now since we told them about it, though it's an older machine. Also, it seemed like there was a lot of mowing going on around us. There are acres of beautiful grassy areas with trees (see photo) and the upkeep required is demanding. Still it seems that there should be a way to limit the mowing and leaf cleaning to a single day, preferable a Monday and not on the weekend when we were there. Mowing occured for maybe a few hours every day, and the rest of our time was beautifully peaceful - I remember taking a nap while it was happening and not feeling terribly disturbed by it. It's not like leaf blowers would be so I would say on a scale from 1 to 10 the disturbance from the mowing was about a 4 or 5. The very large waterfall next to the house adds ambience and when the renovations are complete, the location will make it perhaps the best place to stay of any I had seen in Grove. In fact, I could easily stay there a month with family and friends and that would be one of the best vacations we'd ever had. So we are all considering an extended stay next year. Fishing is fabulous right from land or off the dock. Grove has a lot of places to eat and a Walmart makes it really convenient and reasonable to buy what one needs. There are quite a few fun things to do and see in the area as outlined in the visitor's guide. A Pro Golf Course is just a mile or two away on Patricia island. This resort is a work in progress, and I want to present a realistic portrait, but I'd go back again in a flash.

5  Thank TravlingBard

Also consider these accommodations in or near Grove
Best Western TimberRidge Inn
Days Inn Miami
Days Inn Miami
#4 of 8 in Miami
Holiday Inn Express Suites Vinita

Been to Candlewyck Cove Resort? Share your experiences!