“Wild caving at Alabaster Caverns State Park is pretty wild” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Freedom
Stillwater, Oklahoma
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Wild caving at Alabaster Caverns State Park is pretty wild”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2014

This review is just for the wild caving at Alabaster Caverns. Some rules for wild caving: register at the office. at least 3 people, each person to have hard hat, long sleeves, water, 3 light sources. (There may be other rules.) The office will give you maps of the caves. Plan on an adventure. You'll get VERY dirty. (see pictures!) We did 2 caves on day 1 and 2 other caves on day 2. I think there are 5 that you can go through. There were places that were pretty tight for me to get through. I'm 5'9" and 175 lbs. There is some physical exertion to climb up some of the areas. We has a blast! It is a challenging trip through some areas. You'll find some fairly large rooms and unique rock formations. There are lots of areas that are single file; you can't pass by another person. If you think you may get claustrophobic, be the last one in your group; you know you can always go back the way you came. Or, you may want to skip this trip.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank denner_n_dave

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Nice cave if you're in the area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

On a tour of Northwest Oklahoma one choice was the Alabaster Caverns. We arrived just in time (15 min early) for the noon tour. We were the only ones to go at this time but there were Boy Scouts scheduled while we waited. Nice camping area and picnic area. I did think the $10 pp was a little high for an adult. The cave was really cool and our guide was well learned about the cave.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank GarynPatty
Broken Bow, Nebraska
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Don't waste your time!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2014

I have read comments about rude staff, and similar encounters of our problem. For, a couple weeks ago when traveling through the area: We walked in the door at 9:00, we were greeted and I responded etc, and said we would like to take the 9:00 tour of the cave. She then turned around looked at the clock, 9:01:30, and responded that we were too late and would have to wait for the 10:00. I then said, "2 minutes, seriously?" She looked in the office, looked back and just grinned.... I then referred to reading about others making the same comments, and not being impressed. We have toured caves all over the country, and never seen this rude of help. Did I mention we were the ONLY ones in the parking lot and building. Most of the tours we have gone on have been privately owned, which makes me wonder if Oklahoma knows they have such lazy state employees!!!! We did not stay, for I am not giving them my money!!!

Visited April 2014
7 Thank Sheila S
eastern shore of Md.
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Visitors Center Welcome”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

Because of my husband's heart condition we did not go into the caves but the welcome center gave us a grand tour explaining
wildlife and what was in the caves.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank mariemhammond
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Just ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

We drove to this cave from our visit to little Sahara it was a long drive and in the middle of no where. The wild life was neat and the cave was just ok ,not sure we would have made the drive if we knew their wasn't much to it , The staff were very nice and the history of it all was interesting . Our tour guide was really off her rocker with some of the things she said which made it very pleasurable for my husband and I . Overall I would just rte it as ok and only suggest if you passing through or just bored of the dunes .

Visited August 2012