“Rough Start, Good Finish”

Sleep Inn & Suites Elk City
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Elk City
Port Matilda, Pennsylvania
“Rough Start, Good Finish”
Reviewed June 13, 2014

Stayed here one night heading cross country. Sleep and cleanliness are important to us.

Checking was terrible. Somehow, our reservation was not completed, despite the fact I made the reservation on the Choice Hotel site, where they suggest you make them, and where I've made them for years. The girl at the front desk was nice enough, and obviously sorry. But she spent the next half hour telling me it was her second day and that it was because the Choice Site was all messed up. I'd say that I'm not sure the mother ship, which is who directed me to this hotel, would appreciate that. Also, she pointed out they'd tried to call me all day, in Pennsylvania, which is kind of silly. They had six weeks to call and tell me the reservation was messed up, waiting until the last day then laying part of the blame on me is a bit ridiculous.

And after driving almost 14 hours, I didn't want to know WHY there was a problem, I wanted it fixed. I finally cut her off by saying "ok, I'm a real good Choice customer, I made a reservation six weeks ago, I've been driving all day, my wife and kids and I are tired. What are you going to do for me?" Might suggest to the manager a little training for new employees in crisis management.

Other slight mishaps: The phones were messed up (batteries dead, maybe?), kept blinking, couldn't even dial the front desk. So we just unplugged them. The fridge freezer was so frozen up the door wouldn't close on the fridge, thus rendering it worthless to us. Finally, there was a smear of "something" on top of the air-conditioner, of significant size. The fact I couldn't identify it is what worried me the most.

Those are the cons. Once we settled in and got over the above, this was a nice place. A good breakfast in the morning, and a massive eating/sitting area, unlike most microscopic Choice breakfast rooms. Our room was HUGE, excellent when you've got young kids sleeping on the floor. The pool was small, but functional, and again unlike many Choice facilities, was actually warmed to an adequate level.

The hotel was fairly clean, the best that can be expected when they live in an area full of dust (when dry) and mud (when raining). Kudos to the cleaning staff who have to deal with folks who don't understand what the bevy of shoe cleaning devices out front are for. Most impressive about the facility was very, VERY comfortable beds. Also, there was a major storm as we slept, the kind that was all over the news in the morning (high winds, hail, tornado warnings, you get the picture). We never heard a thing, which is a testament to the joint being built right.

Finally, the location is a knockout. If you come to Elk City, you'll find hotels spread out all over the place. This hotel is right off the main drag, plenty of good parking, and close to both local cuisine and, for the family tired and hungry for home, Pizza Hut.

We'd stay again. We'd double-check the reservation and call halfway through the day, which we shouldn't have to do. But we'd stay again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank 111buckhorn
Manager9931, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Elk City, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking your precious time to write a detailed review of your stay at Sleep inn & Suites, Elk City, OK here on our website. We are very sorry to learn that your experience at check-in was such an inconvenience, because of the wrong room-type reserved.

We greatly appreciate your feedback about the Hotel-Cleanliness, Very Comfortable beds, Good Breakfast, Hotel-Location, Swimming Pool, Hot-tub... We have also noted with gratitude your sincere comments about the very spacious Hotel-rooms and safety.

Thank you again for your recommendation and we look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you and family back in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Jeeroy George, BS, MBA, CHA
(Hotel Certified Administrator)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Reviewed June 6, 2014 via mobile

Our family, consisting of two adults and two teenage girls, arrived at Elk City's Sleep Inn at 7:00 in the evening. The cleanliness, decor, and clean fresh smell greeted us in the large lobby, as well as the friendly staff at the desk. Check in was quick and painless, as usual for us when we book via the Choice Hotels app, though the front desk staff did not welcome us as Platinum Elite members. Not a big deal, but when other Choice Hotels make a point of thanking you for being a Platinum Elite member, it is noticed when a hotel does not welcome you in the same manner.

The lobby was spacious and beautiful in the color scheme, sleek furnishings, high ceilings, and floor plan. The hallways seem to have gotten a fresh coat of paint recently and looks great. A simple elevator ride and short walk led us to our room, #214. The decor was as pleasing in the room as the lobby. Soothing colors on the wall, with one wall painted in a vibrant rust color, and a long, dark desk opposite the beds were the immediate focus as we walked in. A microwave and refrigerator were installed under the desk and the television was hanging above the desk/cordenza. The beds were comfortable, very comfortable, and the pillows were cozy, too--not foam and not square, like other chains.  I awoke without a backache, stiff neck, or headache!  The area between the foot of the bed and the desk is small, unless you get a handicap accessible room, then it is bigger. (I checked one of those rooms out to see the difference.) If having a shower is important to you, verses a bathtub only, make sure you are careful you do not book a "bathtub only" room. It does seem the bathtubs are jacuzzi tubs and it looked like the handicapped room had a tub in it, which is odd to me. The shower in our room is a walk-in type that was quite pleasing, a squared-off snail shower. There was no place to hang washcloths in the shower and only two small corner shelves for the shampoo and conditioner. I would have liked more places to hang wet towels and swimming suits. In the bathroom, there is only one hook on the back of the door and a towel rod above the toilet. We had a wet floor from dripping swimming suits after the pool (we hung two in the shower over the faucet handle) and the rest crammed on the towel rod and hooks. There also wasn't an exhaust fan in the bathroom. A hair dryer was provided. The bathroom space was adequate and the granite countertop was beautiful. The room and bathroom was in good repair, save for some paint scratches, an abrasion on a headboard, and a small discoloration in the corner of the shower. The air conditioner was wonderful. It cooled quickly and kept the temperature consistent. The television was a good size (not a big as other hotels, but good for our room) and great clarity. We couldn't get it to work with the remote, though. There is a cable box attached to it and maybe that was part of the problem. We could change channels with the remote, but that was it. We turned it on at the set. We couldn't adjust the volume or mute from the remote. Not a big deal, just a minor inconvenience. There was a good amount of accessible outlets for all of our electronics (no built-in USB ports), but the outlet in the desk lamp did not work. There was still enough outlets to take care of our needs.

We went to the pool and whirlpool for a while that evening. It was very refreshing and quite clean and the water temperature was just right. There were shelves for pool towels, but they were empty, so it was a cold, dripping trek back to the room. There was an exercise room there, but we did not get a chance to use it. The information in the room about the hours for the pool was wrong, saying it closed at 9:00 pm instead of 10:00 pm.

The one, major drawback for us at Sleep Inn we did not discover until the lights were out and we were ready to sleep. The large outdoor floodlight that I assume is supposed to illuminate the parking lot was actually positioned to shine on the establishment, specifically our room and the rooms around it. Even with the window shades carefully drawn, bright slivers of light shone into our room, making sleep fitful and difficult for my husband all night long. If we would have realized this before booking, we would have requested a room where the outside lights did not shine on the building or if it would have been earlier in the evening when we found this problem out (before everything was unpacked and while the girls were awake) we could have requested a change of room, if there was any available. I am sure we would have been accommodated, since the staff was always helpful, courteous, and polite.

The next morning we had a wonderful breakfast, filled with many options, in a pleasant and clean dining area. Biscuits and gravy; eggs; sausage patties; bacon; many flavors of yogurt (unintentionally frozen, but yummy, nonetheless); pastries, including bagels, cake doughnuts, mini muffins, but no English muffins; waffles; fresh fruit; apple and orange juice; coffee and hot water for hot cocoa and tea, but no variety of blends or styles in tea. The coffee was good and fresh. The food was hot, tasty, and fresh as well. (I love it when I can make a sausage and egg biscuit sandwich!) The tables and floors were clean and the food was plentiful, even though we arrived just half an hour before it closed. The ladies maintaining the breakfast area were kind and helpful, greeting us upon arrival and asking if we needed any help.

I had to throw our swimming suits in the dryer, since they didn't dry in the bathroom overnight. The dryer on our floor wasn't functioning, but I didn't find this out until I had already fed it $1.50. There was a phone in the laundry room and the front desk staff apologized for the inconvenience and told me I would have to take my laundry to the 4th floor dryer. She said to come to the desk for my $1.50 refund. I was glad I didn't have a sopping load from the washer! By the time I had gotten my refund and put my load in the upstairs dryer, a maintenance worker had already arrived to repair the dryer on the 2nd floor--very prompt. In addition, the second floor did not have an ice machine--there was a space and drain for one by the vending machines, but no machine. We had to go to the first floor for ice.

Housekeeping knocked on our door at 10:00 AM to clean, even though checkout isn't until 11:00 AM. I have not encountered this before--in my experience they only go to the rooms that have checked out, leaving the remaining rooms until there is confirmation of check-out. The housekeeper asked if we had any towels for her and one of my daughters gathered them up for her.

As a side note, the Italian restaurant (Roma's, though the sign doesn't say that) in the same parking lot as the Sleep Inn is not really worth the time or money. The food was mediocre and the price was higher than I expected for what we received. Additionally, the hours were posted as closing at 10 PM, but they closed to eat-in diners at 9:40 PM, due to the manager having a one-hour drive home. We understand the reasoning and was not upset by this, but it would be good to know before you plan to be able to dine late there. We were able to order our meals as take-out and eat at the hotel.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank JennersRaye
Manager9931, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Elk City, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a genuinely detailed review of regarding your recent stay at Sleep Inn & Suites, Elk City here on our website. I sincerely apologize for the bright parking lot spot light; now, we are trying to keep additional window curtains.

Thank you again for sharing your each & every experiences, and we hope your next visit will be even more pleasant than the previous one.

Jeeroy George, BS, MBA,CHA
(Certified Hotel Administrator)
SLEEP INN & SUITES
580 303 4574
Peoria, Arizona
Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

Hotel is located within a group of four other and looks like the best of the group. It was a good place to stay, especially for the price. Standard room with good quality. Hotel hallways, rugs and walls look like they have taken a little abuse, but still a comfortable place to stay.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Manager9931, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Elk City, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking time out of your busy schedule to write a genuine review about your stay at the NEWEST hotel in town -Sleep Inn & Suites, Elk City, here on our website.

We are the BEST as exactly you have already well -experienced since we strive to provide our guests with a clean, comfortable and safe room at the lowest price, possible.

Thank you again for your recommendation and we look forward to having the opportunity to hearty welcome you back in the near future.

With Kind Regards,
Russellville, Arkansas
Reviewed May 26, 2014

This hotel is brand NEW!! It was priced 40% below a 'sister' hotel just down the road. We read the reviews on it, and it sounded great. It was!! The building still smells NEW, if you know what I mean. Staff was helpful. Breakfast line was just fine, hot food and continental items too. The bed was super comfortable!! Slept great!

Room Tip: Ask to be on the Top floor (4th) floor. The West side is best if you don't want the morning sun...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Manager9931, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Elk City, responded to this review, May 28, 2014

SLEEP INN & SUITES
580 303 4574
Connecticut
Reviewed May 13, 2014

I arrived in Elk City after a long day of riding my motorcycle across the Great Plains. I stayed just one night and found this hotel to be just perfect for my needs - friendly, attentive staff (I couldn't figure out how to use the television and they were most patient with me!) ... good location (though you need your own transport to go shopping or find a decent meal) ... exceptionally neat and clean rooms ... very comfortable beds ... large, bright rooms ... and with the two things I always look for when I need a hotel : free breakfast (theirs was fantastic!) and a fitness facility. I would definitely stay here again.

My only negatives for this hotel are (1) the restaurant (Roma's) right next door, that one of the hotel staff recommended to me - I found it grossly over-priced and the meal was nothing spectacular, and (2) I should have looked around on-line for a better price for the hotel, as I think the $95 I paid was a bit high. All this being said, it was a wonderful stay in a great hotel and I would definitely stay again!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Manager9931, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Elk City, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for taking time to write a review of your "very clean & comfortable" stay at our newest hotel in town-Sleep Inn & Suites, Elk city here on our website.
We are delighted that you had a memorable experience and thank you again for choosing us as your hotel in Elk City.
We greatly appreciate your specific good comments about our breakfast & fitness room, staff, comfortable bed and location, We do apologize for two negative points of nearby Restaurant & Room-rate. Let me speak about it to the Ownership of the Restaurant. In order to compensate you, I would like to provide you with a General Managerial discounted room rate during your next visit . Again I apologize for the inconvenience during your stay and hope to see you during your next visit.
Jeeroy George
Aurora, Colorado
Reviewed May 13, 2014

I loved it there. The staff was really nice, the room was clean and breakfast was awesome. Yummy bacon!! I thought it was a little expensive and I never did get the Wi-Fi to work on my computer and I was there 4 days. They did have a business center that I was able to use but I needed the info off of my laptop once connected to the web. The beds were so comfortable that sleeping was never an issue. I had a room with the Jacuzzi and that was nice after a hard day working.

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your time in sharing your feedback of your stay at our newest hotel in town-Sleep Inn & Suites, Elk City here on our website.
We are glad that you had an awesome experience of your four days stay with us and greatly appreciate your good-comments about our staff, breakfast, comfortable bed & the Jacuzzi suite. We sincerely apologize for the normal fluctuation of the wireless internet connection.
It has been our immense pleasure to have the opportunity to look after you and being of service to you.
We look forward to welcoming you whole-heartedly again in the near future.
With Kind Regards,
Jeeroy George
New Boston, Texas
Reviewed April 23, 2014

overall i would say this is a pretty good place to stay for the price.the room and hallways were nice and clean.i personally felt the bed was a little hard for my taste but i like a little give in my mattress.the bedding [sheets and covers] were very comfortable.one thing i don't like when i go into a room is the tv fastened to the wall with no way to swivel it,which is what they have done here.i rented the room with the whirlpool bath,that was nice after a long day of travel.the lady at the front desk was nice and was pleasing to deal with.[always a plus].4/22/14 was my check in date.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Manager9931, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Elk City, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Dear Guest

we would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Sleep inn & Suites, Elk City, OK. We are pleased that you had an enjoyable stay oval.

We do provide our all guests a clean, comfortable & safe room at the lowest possible price in town, Moreover, we greatly appreciate your feed back about TV, Comfortable bedding & the front desk.

Thank you again for your recommending and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

With kind regards,