“It's a Hoot!”

Dining options: Reservations
Evergreen, Colorado
“It's a Hoot!”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Stopped in Elk City on a Monday night while travelling to Kansas/ Got to the motel after 8:00 p.m. and went to Prairie Fire after receiving a recommendation from the desk clerk. We arrived at this restaurant shortly after 8:30 pm and were welcomed and seated promptly. I had been somewhat concerned about getting seated so late (they close at 9:00 p.m.) but most of the tables were occupied even at this hour. We started with the excellent and reasonably priced margaritas and ordered steaks, which arrived quickly and were cooked to perfection. The check arrived and again I was pleasently surprised. Great food, prompt service and reasonable prices. Who could ask for more? I forgot to mention the ambiance. I spoke with Mary, the owner, who described that this restaurant is on the site of an old train depot. Mary told us that much of the original decor of the train station remains. It is fun and interestind decor. I especially liked the old transom windows and oversized tiles on the floor. When you are in Elk City, stop in the Prairie Fire and ask to meet Mary. She is a nice lady and her dedication to the success of this restaurant. I will definitely return here on my next trip here.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank hiwayyman

Santa Fe, NM
“Amazing!”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Driving from Dallas to Santa Fe we decided to stop in Elk City for dinner. Looked on trip advisor and found Prairie Fire. We were seated within 5 minutes of arrival (7PM). The waitress was very friendly. I don't remember exactly what the salad we ordered was called but it was a wedge of lettuce, candied pecans, blue cheese and the best beef tenderloin. The burger we ordered had poblano chile and cheese it was great!. '
I drove through Elks city 30 years ago - it was a spot on the highway. It has definitely come a long way. The gourmet meal we had would have been over $60 in Santa Fe. We will make a point to stop here again.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank mcficke
Hennessey, Oklahoma, United States
“Supper”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Very slow and long wait. Food was pretty good. Cocktail was better. But by the time you got a seat and your food it didn't seem worth it. Was here before under another name and the food was better. Hostess asked if I would want to eat at the bar then told me there was not room and then took a young couple there that came in after me. Wished I would have ordered take out or opted for another choice!.

1 Thank Tammy P
Elk City, Oklahoma
“Awefull”
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

My husband came here for lunch. He said the food was NOT what he told them that it was bloody now well done, fries hard, waitress didn't come to there table but one time that was to bring the food. He looked on his ticket to see that she wrote it down wrong. And it took forever to get waited on to begin with. This is NOT worth going too after giving it a sec try. He said IM DONE THERE. I told him I was done long time ago cause the food and rudeness and the lieing waitress when I told the boss. She said I told her I loved the food, when indeed two bites was all I could eat of it. It was that bad.

2 Thank AfoodCritik
mary k, Owner at Prairie Fire, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
You know, I am very sorry you don't care for my restaurant.....or my waitress. I have learned though that I can't please everyone. And I am still very pleased with this waitress, and have never had anyone else complain about her. Thank you for your input.
San Luis Obispo, California
“Doing it right!!!!”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Definitely recommend a stop at Prairie Fire! We were traveling through OK when we came across this place. Thoroughly enjoyed our steaks (I had a filet & Hubby a ribeye). The entire meal was top notch in a beautifully restored train depot. This mother/daughter duo is doing it right!!!!