“Nice environment, Average Onion Burger”
Review of Johnnie's Grill

Johnnie's Grill
Ranked #5 of 40 Restaurants in El Reno
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Edmond, Oklahoma
“Nice environment, Average Onion Burger”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

My wife and I made a "Route 66" run from OKC and decided to enjoy an El Reno Onion Burger. We weren't sure which of the three places in El Reno to try but since it was Sunday the decision was made for us because Johnnies was the only one of Sid's, Johnnies, and Robert's that was open on a Sunday. We were glad one of them was open.

The restaurant is quaint. The place has a home-town feel and the staff were extremely nice, attentive, and very friendly. Our waitress kept our soda pop topped up and made sure we understood the menu.

We each had an onion burger and we split an order of fries and an order of onion rings. The onion burger was average. It's flavor was OK, but not great. The size was just right for us (quarter pound patty, plenty of onions), but it seemed a little flat (like it needed some salt/pepper or something else to bring out the flavor just a little more).

The french fries were also average. My wife liked them more than me. The onion rings were excellent.

If I go back to El Reno I'll try one of the other places (probably Roberts from the reviews I'm reading here).

• Visited March 2013

Norman, Oklahoma
“Onion Burger Madness”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Nothing any finer than onions dripping down your chin from a delicious onion fried cheeseburger. I get mine with mayo and pickle. Fries and tots are good and the slaw dog is the best.

• Visited February 2013
Springfield, Missouri
“Better than Sid's!”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We ate a burger and a coney at Sid's then drove down the block and ate at Johnnie's.

First of alll, the service and friendliness of the staff was much better at Johnnie's. They had no problem with us sharing one of each.

The slaw on the El Reno coney, a special concoction from that area had a much better flavor and not so sweet. The dog on the coney is very small, though, and bright red.

Compared to Sid's the onions in the burgers are coarser and have a better flavor, at least they did on the day we visited. Fun atmosphere at Johnnie's too.

Visited August 2012
Mustang, Ok
“Don't eat here during fly season!”
Reviewed March 10, 2012

Food so, so. Have a bad fly problem, because they have a drive thru and window always lets flies in. Have only eaten here once, and was disappointed. Sid's is the best onion burger, Robert's is 2nd, Johnnie's is a distant 3rd.

Visited March 2012
“Good food for the price”
Reviewed November 16, 2011

We had breakfast when we last visited. The eggs and ham were cooked just as ordered. In the past I've had their slaw dog and found it to be very good. I usually eat here when visiting El Reno.