“It is what it is..”

Choctaw Casino Resort
Ranked #1 of 9 things to do in Durant
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Popular gaming facility features a variety of table games, high-stakes bingo and off-track betting.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Right off the bat, I'll let you know that I normally come here for poker tournaments, not to play on the slots, or see shows. That being said, I've played on the slots way more than I should have, and have actually hit some jackpots at this casino. There are a lot of slots here, this place is not quite as large as Winstar, but it's still huge.

My last trip, which was for the Card Player Magazine poker tourney series, was July 20-21st, and a quick trip back up on the 22nd.

I've eaten at bad buffets in Vegas, but the two casinos here, (Winstar and Choctaw) are the worst buffets ever. In fact, on this trip, something made me sick.. I'm fairly sure it was the tarter sauce, which had a weird wang to it. At the time, I thought the seasoning was off, but after getting sick as a dog, I'm sure it was spoiled. The prime rib, which you pay extra for on Saturday nights, was terrible. There was almost zero variety, a lot of the food looked like it had been sitting there all day. I will never eat at the Choctaw buffet again, even if it's comped.

I know, some people who read these reviews think that Golden Corral is good food.. Those folks might disagree with what I'm writing. However, for me, life is too short to eat crap food, and that's what the buffet here is.

On to the poker room.. I like Winstar's poker room much better, except when big events, like the WSOP circuit events, are going on.. Then, there's plenty of action. However, the room has a terrible time keeping up, when it's crowded.

I keep seeing people say, "This is not Vegas", and that is true.. Vegas, though, isn't what it used to be. Used to get great customer service, but not so much anymore.. So, the playing field is leveling off some, sadly, with the bar being lowered, not raised. The big difference between here and Vegas, for me, at least, is that when you get sick of the Vegas casino you're in, you can walk out the door, and go to another one. At Choctaw, you're out in the middle of nowhere, (unless you can find something to do in beautiful Durant, Oklahoma) LoL Plus, in Vegas, you see a lot of pretty people, while at Choctaw, you're surrounded by people who are meth lab rough lookin'..

Just sayin'

I will come back to Choctaw again, to play in poker tourneys.. I do not stay at the hotel, I always stay in Dennison, Texas, at the Comfort Suites. The room offers I get in the mail for Choctaw are always limited, and almost never for the nights I'm there playing in tourneys, and usually can stay for less at the other place. Plus, I sleep better when I know that gambling opportunities aren't downstairs, waiting on me! : )

2  Thank Raydioman61
in 9 reviews
"gambling"
in 85 reviews

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Buffet was awesome! Not as much smoke in the Choctaw Casino as others I have visited. The concert venue was very good and there were no bad seats. Peter Frampton was awesome!

2  Thank Dub G
Kathryn D, Manager at Choctaw Casino Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

We greatly appreciate your review. I agree, Peter Frampton was amazing. Please come visit us again soon.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Had a great time as usual, fun, awesome staff, nice hotel, excellent location, only an hour from my hometown Dallas.

2  Thank Brian M
Kathryn D, Manager at Choctaw Casino Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Brian,
Thank you for telling everyone how awesome we are! We think you're pretty great too. Have a great week and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

I love your casino, I wish I could go more often, unfortunately your buses run from very distant locations. Is there any way to start a route from North Dallas, like Walmart on Midway and LBJ?
Last Friday there were about 8 people, including me, thinking that there was a bus departing from that location, we later learned that Dallas Coach does leave from that location only on Saturdays. We were all disappointed and ready to go home when a young lady offered to drive
some of us. We paid for her expenses and we had a wonderful time, even though none of us won the 4,000 dollars. Any way you can expand Dallas Coach to run more days, or at least on Thursdays? I used to go to Winstar, but I find it too busy and noisy.

5  Thank memecasa1

Memecasa,
Thank you for your suggestions. I've shared your review with our Tours & Travel Manager for consideration. We greatly appreciate your feedback and look forward to your next visit.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We decided to make a quick trip to the casino over the 4th of July weekend. There was some concert going on that caused the room rates to be ridiculously priced ($298.00- REALLY???) Luckily we found a hotel nearby that offered free shuttle service. But as always, we had a great time in the casino. The band that played in the Parrot Bar was great. They had lots of people up dancing. We always love Dixon's Grill. Not sure what they do to their hamburgers, but they are always delicious. Love their garlic fries but they were out of garlic on Saturday, July 6. How does that happen? Shared a meal at Gilley's (pulled pork with spicy mac n cheese)...Incredible!! Had a great time. If you're thinking of going, you need to do it. It's a great place.

2  Thank lapatrona54

We greatly appreciate your amazing review. I like the garlic fries too but if you like those, try the sweet potatoe fries at Gilley's on your next trip. They're awesome! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. We'll see you again soon.