“It's Not Las Vegas, But Good Enough” 4 of 5 bubbles

Choctaw Casino Resort
Ranked #1 of 8 things to do in Durant
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Popular gaming facility features a variety of table games, high-stakes bingo and off-track betting.
Madison, Alabama
66 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 140 helpful votes
“It's Not Las Vegas, But Good Enough”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

I'm not a big gambler, but when I do, it is usually in Las Vegas. On a recent trip from Arkansas back to Texas, my wife wanted to stop at Choctaw Casino to play the slots. We signed up to get one of the cards which earns points when you play, and they gave each of us a $10.00 credit to play. With that being said, I figured what the heck, I'll play the free $10.00 and see what I do. Just using the $10.00 credit on the nickel slots I won about $120.00. I normally never win anything so I figured I would quit while I was ahead...lol. Of course, my wife lost hers. The Casino has improved greatly since the last time we were there. The only issue I have is the smoke. Being a non-smoker, it would be nice if they had a large non-smoking area. The drive from Dallas to the Casino is not bad at all right up Hwy 75. The hotel looks pretty nice, but I've never stayed there. From the Dallas/Fort Worth area, I would prefer Choctaw over the casinos in Shreveport.

2 Thank bill925
Kathryn D, Manager at Choctaw Casino Resort, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thank you, Bill! I'm pleased to hear you stopped by and had a good time. Winning $120.00 off of $10 free play is not too shabby. Congratulations and please come see us again soon when you can stay longer.

Mineral Wells, Texas
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“We had a blast playing slots in the high limit section.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Those slots were paying off. Little money and big money. Someone hit 47,000 dollars , 20,000 dollars. We took money home. The place is beautiful. We spent some time at different casinos this past month and this one gets our vote. Go there. People are friendly. They cater to your needs with a smile on their faces.

5 Thank Monnie1955
Kathryn D, Manager at Choctaw Casino Resort, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Monnie1955,
Thank you!!! We greatly appreciate your amazing compliments. Hopefully your picture is added to that winner list soon. Have a great week and thank you again.
Guest Service Manager
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Underwhelming”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

50 cent ante on all blackjack, a wheel of fortune roulette style sheet with no ball, and card craps. Big money sink pit. The place is new and nicely appointed but the gambling area is quite small. You also have to pay for your drink while gambling and I cannot get over the ante up system while playing any card game. Amazing how you have to pay them to take your money. Just amazing. We will not be back and it was a lousy experience for a bachelor party. I should have researched it more before deciding to go there. But I had heard good things from some older ladies who go all the time but it turns out that they were just really happy that a majority of the slots are penny slots.

7 Thank Bliggitty
Bliggitty,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I'm sorry your trip wasn't what you expected but I hope you give us another try soon. Have a great and thanks again for your feedback.
Texas
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Fantastic, fun entertainment”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

First visit to the Choctaw Casino as we wanted to see the musical group The Temptations. Huge crowd, wonderful show, very nice casino. Yes, I did win some money. Our room and our friends' room were very attractive and very clean. The food was ok. We went to the newer section to avoid the heavy smoke. Supposedly, the ventilation is better. Wish the casino had a smoke free area where you did not walk through the smoking area to get there. Just an aside. The food really needs to be better.

3 Thank 1LovesTravel1
Thank you for your lovely compliments regarding our casino. The Temptations always put on an amazing show and I'm so happy you had a great time. Please come see us again soon. Gladys Knight & The O'Jays will be here August 1st! I hope to see you there.
Dallas, Texas
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Choctaw is mediocre at best...very tight slots”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

I've stayed at Choctaw a couple of times in the past...after spending about $50,000 + I guess they felt that they need to give me a comp room or two. Their rooms are okay. Definitely nothing to get too excited about. The smell of smoke is just everywhere. The staff is nice enough in the restaurants but the Desk clerks' ettiquette needs improvement. I got up to "Diamond" status but got downgraded to bronze level very quickly...Sorry, I won't consistently spend that much knowing I'll see very minimal payouts. I've read all these reviews about how tight the slots are and I whole-heartedly agree. They are reduculously tight. I am hoping that TX will pass the law in November to allow gambling so that I can at least spend my hard earned money in my own state. If you do go, don't expect to win on the slots. If you do hear about a winner, they are very far in between. Most people lose. Their steakhouse is pretty decent and although their spa services are not world class, it's decent. In other words, don't go to Choctaw if you want to win playing slots.

5 Thank NorthDallas7
NorthDallas7,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. As our valued guest, we greatly appreciate your feedback and suggestions for improvement.