“Comfortable and fun” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Durant
Dallas, Texas
“Comfortable and fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

We have stayed at Choctaw many times over the years, including in the days before there was a tower and we stayed in the Inn. We continue to return because it has many elements to recommend it, including distance from Dallas. We really prefer the size of Choctaw to Winstar, which just seems to overwhelm us. We really like the hotel - it has always been comfortable and nice. It's not luxurious, but it's just about right. The elevators take you right down to the casino, and finding your way around is pretty easy. The "old" part of the casino is closest to the Inn, and we have stayed there multiple times, including the suites where we had our daughter's Bachelorette party last year. It's cheaper than the tower, and maybe the halls are a little smoky close to the casino, but it's fine. We think the smoke factor is under pretty good control in the newer section of the casino, and has never been an issue in the tower rooms. The food situation is ok - not spectacular like Vegas, but a fair amount of choices across the spectrum. Although the Mexican restaurant isn't a good choice. The steakhouse is very nice and the food has always been excellent, although a little pricey. Valet parking is free if you're staying there, and you can check your bags with them when you check out at 11, if you want t0 stay a little longer. Staff has always been helpful and polite, and we have never had an issue or problem with the hotel. We will continue to stay there, I'm sure. Join the Player's Club if you gamble at all, and you can get some money off your stay, plus a little comp play on the slots.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Kathryn D, Manager at Choctaw Casino Resort, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Thank you, Kay. Those are great travel tips. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and look forward to your next stay at Choctaw Casino Resort.
Kat DeCaire

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Wylie, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

The casino part of this hotel was nice but the room I stayed in was absolutely beautiful. The bathroom had the most amazing shower, the pillows caused me to sleep longer than I wanted to and the soaps were crafted into nifty little animals. I just loved everything about my room and my view, not to mention I had a great time at the casino. The cigarette smoke is a bit overwhelming at first, then you forget about it and remember it all over again when you wake up the next day because your hair will wreak.

Room Tip: I've only been here twice, the first night we had a room the second night we just stayed up and...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Lisa E
Thank you for those amazing compliments. I agree, those pillows are like sleeping on clouds! Please come visit us again soon. Have a great weekend.
Duncanville, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2014

I had read about the "smoky" condition of the casino, but had been told by a friend that it was better than the Winstar Casino. He was wrong. Upon entering the casino to make my way to the hotel desk, I was smacked with a strong cigarette smell. This was evident in the entire casino, and ended up irritating my lungs (as a non-smoker).

Check in is 3pm. We arrived there around 11:00am, and checked back 3 times to get a room on the non-smoking floor. Angela at the front desk was my point of contact on each trip and was very friendly. We ended up on the 12th floor, which even she said would be "less smoky".

The room was very nice, and was clean. The room had a small refrigerator (check setting - ours froze our bottled drinks), and a coffee maker (single cup system which I like). The furniture was nice, but very worn. They provided a large flat screen TV, but only had non-HD channels, so everything looked pretty sad. The beds were very comfortable, and had the double sheet system.

Unfortunately, our room shared a wall with the elevators (room 1233). We didn't know this until we were going to bed. Heard the constant humming and clicking of the elevators constantly, even with ear plugs.

I had issues with the bathroom. First, there are no towel racks. Second, the shower is a fancy walk in type with a glass panel as a wall. There is no door, so the water from the shower can splash out, and is cold since nothing holds out the cold from the bathroom. The floor of the shower is tile, which can get slick from soap/shampoo (fear of slipping and falling). The shower head is a down/rain gravity type, not allowing for any opportunity to get wet without getting your hair wet. Only 2 hand towels and 2 wash cloths provided along with 3 bath towels. Would have liked another 1 or 2 hand towels.

The staff at the hotel and casino were very friendly.

Room Tip: If a non-smoker, get the 12th floor. Move away from the elevator.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Kathryn D, Manager at Choctaw Casino Resort, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Cindy,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for your amazing compliments regarding our Choctaw Team. We appreciate your feedback and hope to have another opportunity to have you as our guest in the future.
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2014

I live in Dallas so every few months I alternate visits between this place and WinStar World Casino in Durant, Oklahoma. While I have visited WinStar, I have never stayed there. But I have to say that both Choctaw and Winstar are good Las Vegas caliber hotel resorts but with some flaws regarding fees and so forth.

The last time I stayed at Choctaw was a couple of years ago. But I am sure that these facts still hold true: Choctaw has a "Tribal Fee" which I am sure is akin to a "Resort Fee" on each room. As of 2 years ago, the price was $25 per room, per night. I don't know if that's changed but you should be aware of this in advance. When I had booked the room over the phone, I was not told about these additional fees. (Something the Vegas Casinos explicitly do when booking...) I did not find this out until I checked into the Choctaw Lodge (the "Holiday Inn" style hotel at the feet of the newer tower). I had to sign an agreement to pay this fee before I could formally check in. Since we had traveled up with relatives, I had no choice but to sign off. It was upsetting. But otherwise, the hotel was great.

As mentioned, we stayed in the Choctaw Lodge. It was nice and clean and well kept. The staff was friendly (even with the sour note of fees) and the rooms were cozy and clean. I did not stay in the tower (though I will in the future) so I can not comment on that. The only flaw (aside from the fee) was that it was a bit of a walk from the lodge corridors to the casino itself. But then again, it's like that in a Las Vegas resort, too.

Speaking of the casino, there are actually two sections. The main entrance puts you into the older casino. It's dimmer lighting and certainly smokey. I try to gamble as little as possible in this section since I have bad sinus allergies. (Even though I have won more in the older part than the new). A long hallway leads to the newer casino, restaurants, shops, and the event center/concert hall.

Before I comment on the newer section, I'd like to point out a new remodel they did to the connecting hallway that, at least to me, takes away from the overall beauty of the Choctaw Resort. To the left, there was a beautiful, floor to ceiling window that stretched the length of the hallway and looked out into Choctaw's interior courtyard and playground area. This gave the visitor (at least it did me...) a breath of fresh air as you saw the beautiful day or night beyond the casino. And it did well to enhance the mood of the visitor. By seeing a glorious sunny day as you walk from one section to the next, it gave you a sense of refreshment which comes in handy if you're losing... Now, it's a brown, flat wall that just makes it depressing to walk from one area to the next. I wish they would reconsider this "improvement".

As for the new casino, it is nicer, cleaner, and has a high ceiling which makes for a more breathable atmosphere to play in. Yes, the casino smoke is still there, just not as overwhelming as the older part.

My second complaint about fees comes with more "Tribal Fees" when you gamble. If you play the table games, you will have to pay a $1 "tax" on EACH and EVERY hand you play. EXAMPLE: Say you lay down a $5 bet at blackjack. Well... You have to lay down a $1 chip for tax. And you do this on EVERY SINGLE HAND. You might end up losing money just paying the tax. Worse, if you're winning, you might find that you're not winning as much as you think...

As for the restaurants, I myself have only ever eaten at the Blue Moon Cafe. It's a really nice 1950's Era "nostalgia" diner with home cooking type food and burgers. Have eaten breakfast and dinner there and each time it has been excellent. The waitresses were okay, polite but not very attentive. My uncle has eaten at the buffet. He says it's good. I'll have to take his word for it since i am not a buffet person. I'm sure it's no different than any other casino buffet. My parents have eaten at Gilley's Bar and Grill. They said it was fine. Not great, just fine. As for drinking, if you've never been to Oklahoma, they have tight liquor laws which means low content alcohol beer and liquor. Might take you a while to feel a buzz...

Overall, it is a really nice place to visit and stay at. I will be visiting here again. And I will recommend Choctaw to friends and family. Just have to be careful of the fees...

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Craig N
Kathryn D, Manager at Choctaw Casino Resort, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Craig,
Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We continually strive to meet and exceed our guest’s expectations. It is our goal to provide you with World Class Hospitality. As our valued guest, your feedback is greatly appreciated and will ensure our ability to maintain our commitment to provide Amazing Guest Service.
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

Very impressed ! My husband and I just spent Easter weekend and celebrated our 10-year-anniversary at this resort and it was far better than expected. While it is smaller than the Winstar, it is certainly not small by any means. We actually preferred the size. We were also quite impressed with the pool area. The food quality at the restaurants we tried were very good and the service outstanding. I recommend the Blue Moon Café with the Sweet Shop. Every employee we came in contact with throughout the resort was professional and polite and that level of customer service stands out! We stayed in a king room on the top floor…no complaints. Everything was very clean and nicely done. We especially enjoyed the shower.

What can I say ? We live in Fort Worth and have decided the longer drive to Choctaw is worth it.

Stand-outs:

1. Pool Area
2. Clean self-service drink stations – no sticky floors !
3. Ventilation – not as smoky as other casinos
4. Buffet – Very good selection (and I don’t normally “do” buffets)
5. Nice, well-appointed rooms. Not missing anything that I can think of.
6. Parking Garage is in close proximity to hotel room access, so easy to get from point A to point B if you decide not to do valet.

Would like:

1. More Shopping ! I would love to see more shops for clothing, luggage, shoes, etc.

Only Complaint – Oka Spa

1. It would be great to see a spa that offers manicures/pedicures to more than just one person at a time. I was disappointed that my husband and I could not have pedicures together. Also, I noticed a gentleman had walked in and notified the lady at the front desk that there were “no more towels in the pool area.” She told him that they were not affiliated with the resort and she suggested he tell the front desk. He took it well, but did seem surprised. Not good customer service in my book. It’s not that difficult to pick up the phone and notify the front desk for the customer, affiliated or not. The young lady at the front desk may not realize that the same man who walked-in and made that request is a potential future customer.

So, that is my only complaint, Oka Spa, and just as the young lady said, they are not affiliated with Choctaw.

Room Tip: This is something I always ask for when visiting almost every hotel...I request the "top floor...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SharonHL
Kathryn D, Manager at Choctaw Casino Resort, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Sharon,
Thank you for that outstanding review. I'm so pleased you let us be a part of your special day. Happy Anniversary! I have discussed the Oka Spa portion with our Manager and it will be addressed immediately. Please come see us again soon. Have a wonderful day.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014

A beautiful hotel with friendly and helpful staff. Our king non-smoking room was well appointed with 40 inch flat screen, large glass walk-in shower, refrigerator, coffee pot, safe, hair dryer, alarm clock, and iron and board. (No microwave) The desk had plenty of plug-ins for laptops, phones, etc. The safe was large enough to fit a 15' laptop.

The casino is divided into north (newer) and south sections and connected by a large ramp walkway. There is an abundance of slots and table games, but we found the slots during this trip to be very tight. Free beverages stations are located throughout the casino, as well as ticket cashing and ATM machines.

Last year we ate at the pricey Steak Restaurant and were very disappointed... skipped it this year and ate in the food court area as well as the Blue Moon Café. The Blue Moon is a good casual place to eat breakfast, lunch, or dinner. A breakfast buffet is available from 7-11 am.

Major construction is underway on the property to add a new hotel tower, movie theater, bowling alley, and more restaurants. The construction, however, did not interfere with our stay.

Room Tip: Our room was on the 6th floor, and there was no smell of smoke in the hallways or the room.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kbt1998
Kathryn D, Manager at Choctaw Casino Resort, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
You described our hotel perfectly! Thank you for your kind words and we look forward to your next visit.
durant ok
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014

I have stayed at the Coctaw resort several times and the property is beautiful, the rooms in the grand tower ellegant and the casino is the cleanest I have ever been in. You see staff constantly cleaning everything in the casino. The water park is wonderful for grownups and children alike. What a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Pick a room close to the elevator, the hallways are long.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank jamesballard
Thank you for your wonderful review. Our EVS Team does an amazing job and makes us very proud. We greatly appreciate your kind words. Plesae come see us again soon.
Kat DeCaire
Also consider these accommodations in or near Durant
BEST WESTERN Markita Inn
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Durant
Hampton Inn and Suites - Durant
La Quinta Inn & Suites Durant
Best Express Inn & Suites
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Denison

Been to Choctaw Casino Resort? Share your experiences!