“Buffalo King Room - 1832 Steakhouse - Slots of Fun!”

Choctaw Casino Resort
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Durant
Reviewed September 4, 2011

My wife and I stayed for my birthday last night (Sept 3rd). I just turned 30 and she's 27 to give you an idea of our age and all that. I'm a BIG Vegas guy, but this is the closest thing if you live in DFW. I stayed in a buffalo king room. Lots more space than a regular room and worth the extra $50 in my opinion. The bathroom is nice and the rooms are relatively spacious. Good stuff and very comfy. The service at this place is fantastic. Everyone is soooo nice. The crowd at this casino is ages 95 and up. Ha, kidding, but there are a TON of old retired people that play the slots all night long and chain smoke. You won't see your Vegas crowd (young, attractive, stylish) at this place. I brought some nice slacks and a nice dress shirt. Never wore it. My wife brought a nice dress. Never wore it. I wouldn't call this casino classy, so dress casual. The new casino is actually pretty nice. They've done a good job with the layout and the decor, it's just nothing compared to Vegas obviously, so don't come here expecting that. We ate at the 1832 Steakhouse. Awesome. I had the 10 oz filet and my wife had the rib eye. Very flavorful. The BEST is the mac and cheese. Fantastic. The lobster bisque soup was a bit under par in my opinion, but everything else was quite good. I'd say this is a great little get away if you live nearby, but if Vegas is an option, stay at the Aria!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank kevin73737
There are newer reviews for Choctaw Casino Resort

Reviewed August 21, 2011

The buffet was horrible all the food was cold cold cold....For the price of $20 kinda crazy..

I found the casino very easy to get my dad around in without much problem. I did find the seating areas throughout to be a nice addition for him to take a break! The valet parking is $3 what a bargain..We even were shuttled to the concert and they made sure the seats were accessible for my dad before I took him to sit down. I wouldnt say we won anything ,but we made enough to keep going a while isn't that what it is all about?

Cant wait to go back!

1  Thank VEGASMOOLAH
Reviewed August 19, 2011

On our recent stay at The Choctaw Casino Resort it was actually more than I expected. The accommodations were fine though even the non smoking rooms wreaked of deodorizer. As nice as any of the resorts in the Orlando area except Disney. The casino was fun and the rumor of the slots not paying till 5Pm is unknown. We managed to to make most of our money back. be sure to check in to cashier and get and utilize your players club card for the perks. It was disappointing the drink service was awful. Too few waitress and a shortage of bartenders.. Get some cool beverages and stick them in your fridge, only for the convenience. The casinos are very smokey from tobacco. The entertainment is fine, Elvis is regular and there are Name acts playing the main stage every Weekend. Coming up John Kay and Steppenwolf and The Guess Who in mid Sept..
The Oasis pool is great as nice as any I've seen around Orlando. A disapointment on the nightly movies there were terrible sound problems both nights, a overbearing ground hum that was over the movie soundtracK. The restaurants; the food was terrible, even the Blue Moon, reputed to be the better, was disappointing. Finally the casino workers, the residents of Durant were very friendly and cordial. Will go back.

Randy in Orlando

1  Thank randoozle
Reviewed August 10, 2011

We receive coupons for the rooms because we have players club cards and because we only live 30 miles away we have never stayed. We decided though that it would be a good getaway so we decided to try it out. When I made reservations I specified that there would be two adults the first night and that our two children would accompany us the second night. I specifically asked how much it would cost and the lady I spoke to told me it would be the cost of the coupons ($68). I get to the hotel and check in the lady asked for my credit card and ran it without telling me how much she was charging. When she put the paper on the desk it was for $163.40. When I questioned her about the amount she stated that there was a $10 extra per person charge per night (over two people) which I was never informed of when making reservations besides I shouldn't have been charged the first night since my children weren't with me. She stated she was unable to fix it and would have to get the manager. The manager was unavailable right then and as soon as she was available they were going to call the room and let me know what they did. 2 hours later I called to the front desk because I still hadn't heard anything. They "fixed" it and took the $20 off both nights. When we checked out I asked when the $ would be credited back to my account since the hold charge was the $163.40, they said as soon as I checked out. Here it is two days later and the hold charge is still there and my bank account is almost $100 dollars short. Oh and by the way the $50 incidental fee takes 7-14 days to credit back but it shouldn't take 7-14 days to get my $40 that shouldn't have been charged in the first place. On the plus side the pool is wonderful, they play a family oriented movie every night after dark, the beds are comfy and the "runner" on our floor, I believe his name was Donald, was extremely friendly and helpful.

3  Thank Kendra P
Reviewed August 3, 2011

Arrived late and decided to try the steak house. Nice atmosphere. But, the food was beyond horrible, The salads were average. The primes ribs which they say are "famous" came out flavorless, dry and less than room temperature. My wife's filet was cooked beyond recognition.Baked potatoes were good but cold (butter did not even melt). Staff unsure. They took the prime ribs off the check but the staff appeared powerless to make things better (they offered to "put them in the oven" to warm them up and dry them out more). There was some joker wearing Chef's garb but certainly there was no legitimate chef within miles. Stay away from the 1832 Steak House (for your own safety)! Prices very high for Golden Corral fare.

11  Thank TexasDoc1
Reviewed August 1, 2011

A couple of friends and I came here solely to gamble and hit the pool and you can accomplish both at Choctaw Durant.

First, the bad...

The old casino is extremely smoky and is hard to spend time in but that is where the lowest limit table games are.

You are required to Ante 50 cents each hand of blackjack and other table games and $1 for craps. You are constantly making change for antes which gets annoying and you have to remember to pay them because the Choctaw won't let you prepay or leave the antes out like other OK casinos. Also, in the poker room they take a rake of each pot.

There is very little to do off property in the nearby vicinity. There is also a limit to where you can eat that isn't in the casino. That being said the food is relatively inexpensive.

Alcoholic drinks are not free on the floor of the casino...

Okay, now the good...

The new casino is a considerable upgrade and is a nice place to gamble. The number of tables is appropriate for how many players there are. The new casino is significantly less smoky and the dealers are pretty nice and helpful.

The Choctaw Inn is pretty cheap and has rooms like a La Quinta or Holiday Inn. If you are coming to gamble and want to stay on the cheap that is where you should stay. The new tower is an upgrade but is a little more expensive, but overall neither of the two hotel options are too costly.

The food court has a grill, Italian, Deli and a BBQ option to eat and the food is good. It is also reasonably priced for really being the only option if you want to grab quick food.

The poker room. The poker room at the Choctaw is truly excellent. I have frequented poker rooms across the country in Indian Casinos and this is definitely one of the nicest. The level play is not as good as other rooms but there are a lot of $1-$2 NL Hold'em tables for those on a budget. The $1-$2 tables have a minimum buy-in of $100 and a maximum of $300 which eliminates the chip bullying found in other poker rooms. There are a limited number of tournaments but the ones that are available are pretty good.

Overall, if you are in within a few hours of Durant and want to gamble this is a pretty good place to do it.

Room Tip: Non-smoking suites in the Choctaw Inn are spacious and inexpensive.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank ATXguy101
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We live only 50 miles from Choctaw so we have seen it all

The hotel is lovely, clean and usually quiet. Some of the rooms
Have refrigerators and some do not, so be sure and ask for one that has one.

We have eaten in their steak house and it was simply terrible. The prices they charge against quality of food is unheard of.

The blue moon in the old casino has the best BLT sandwich and curly fries taste better than anything in the whole casino

The older part of the casino is really smoky so stay in new part if you’re allergic to smoke

We go often enough to know that the slots start hitting about 5 pm until 11 pm. It is like magic when you play all day and at 5pm magic begins the slots start paying off

The slots here are tighter than anyplace I have been. I used to go and play all day win a little and then lose a little but play most of day. Those days are gone forever. Everyone I know in Dallas area is just waiting for our state of start casinos in TX.

Windstar Casino over on 35 hits better but it is so large you get lost in it

Choctaw is out in the middle of nowhere so if you stay bring books to read just in case you have had your massage, lost your money and have swum out.

The personal are always nice and helpful

Because I have business management in my past, in my opinion it needs a little shakeup to produce better quality of food and public relations

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank trackrock
Also consider these accommodations in or near Durant
La Quinta Inn & Suites Durant
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Durant
Best Western Markita Inn
Hampton Inn and Suites - Durant
Best Express Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites Durant

Been to Choctaw Casino Resort? Share your experiences!