“Nice overall stay for a small town”

Hampton Inn and Suites - Durant
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Durant
Gainesville, Texas
“Nice overall stay for a small town”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We arrived early and was able to check in, we booked one of their king bed suites. The room was a nice size with a wet bar as you walk in with refrigerator and microwave. It had a nice sofa, coffee table, desk with 2 chairs, chest with a flat screen TV, king bed with 2 night stands and sitting bench at the foot of the bed. The bathroom had a door separating the toilet and shower/tub combo area from the sink and closet. The bed was very comfortable and all areas were very clean. We had the complementary breakfast that had all the basics to make a nice start to the day. We were very satisfied with our stay. The only 2 things I was a little disappointed in was the depth of the bathtub, not a soaking tub at all...just a basic tub, in a suite I have become a custom to larger nicer soaking tubs. That is one of the reasons I try to book suites. The 2nd thing was they had the pool area and hot tub area closed. We didn’t really care about the pool due to being January and the too cold, but the hot tub would have been very nice to sit in even though it was outdoors.

Room Tip: During they busy season for the Lake or the WSOP at Choctaw, book here and don't pay all the out...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed January 29, 2013

This is the first time that I stayed at this Hampton Hotel. Although the hotel is nicely appointed I have several light bulbs that were burned out in my room. I did not participate in the breakfast but from what I understand they offer a nice and free breakfast in the mornings. The bed was very comfortable. It took an unreasonable amount of time at check in. Only one person working the front desk, for the phones and check in. He got tied up on the phone for a good 10 to 15 minutes with about 10 or people trying to check in. They were totally booked and I believe that management should have taken that into consideration.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank girlgodiva
Malakoff, Texas
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Elevator malfunction during my stay caused a 5-10 minute wait to catch one to go downstairs. Locks on external doors don't work forcing you to walk completely around the building if you don't prop a door open. Spencer at the front desk was amazing with his recommendations for local dining and smile. Lots of scuffs, chipped paint & long wait for hot water at night on the upper floors.

Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Not a bad hotel but some more attention detail could be sought by management. I noticed a lot of scuffing around the wood trim near the elevators and the furniture in my room was in need of repair. I know this is a budget hotel but it is also a Hilton property and these little things matter to a person like me who basically lives out of hotels.

Staff also seemed unaware of my freebies I get upon check in because of my honors status. I always know a good staff when my free waters are sitting in my room when I get there.

1 Thank 1person
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I moved here after a 3-night stay at another hotel that starts with B on Main Street and I felt I just stepped into a 5-star hotel.

The very good: 1)hotel is quite new and room is spacious; 2) clean carpet, bathroom, and mostly importantly, the sheets! There's a little note on the headboard that says "duvet covers and sheets are clean for your arrival". It's the first time in a long time that I feel safe if my lips touch the duvet at night; 3) nice breakfast with fresh cut up fruit, and the coffee tastes like coffee; 4) helpful front desk staff and housekeepers do a good job.

The not-so-good: 1) there is no couch in this room and with all the empty space, it looks odd; 2) bathroom door stops midway and I need to stop it with a towel (they tried to fix it but couldn't, so I received 1-night refund for my 7-night stay); 3) internet is PAINFULLY slow; 4) upfront parking insufficient although there is ample in the back; 5) closet is very small and there are only 3 drawers (good for 1 person).

Overall, it's a nice stay, and I got a good price from booking in advance. I have stayed in her sister's hotel Holiday Inn (which I have also reviewed) and I will choose Hampton if I have to come back here again.

Room Tip: I always prefer top floors as I want to avoid hearing footsteps above my head. Ask for firmer pillow...
1 Thank I_Am_Methodical
Danthony917, General Manager at Hampton Inn and Suites - Durant, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Hello, First I would like to thank you for the kind words in reference to the Hampton Inn & Suites, Durant, Oklahoma. We really appreciate you input and will certainly check on the bathroom door issue. We are working on upgrading our bandwith for our internet so this issue should be corrected before your next visit. Again, thank you so much for the suggestions and we hope to see you again in the near future! Thank you for your business!!
Debbie Anthony, General Manager
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We decided to take a quick trip to Oklahoma to celebrate a family birthday this past weekend. I've stayed at Hampton Inns before and always had positive experiences until this trip. The duvet cover was dirty, and the bed was not made properly which lead us to wonder if the sheets were actually changed prior to our arrival. All night we could hear people walking above us which reminded me of apartment living when I was in college. The icing on the cake was the breakfast buffet, which is generally edible. One of the Hampton employees was restocking bagels and bread with her bare hand and there was no meat. Once we saw this we opted to go to Choctaw Casino for breakfast and it was well worth the drive & extra money. Next trip To Oklahoma I will try the Holiday Inn Express if the Choctaw Resort is booked.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank AMB69_11
Danthony917, General Manager at Hampton Inn and Suites - Durant, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Hello,
Thank you for your honest feedback of your stay with us. I apologize that we did not meet your expectations and I have contacted our housekeeping team to correct the problem. I understand the condition of your bed and linens were areas of concern; I am always looking for reviews to provide insight into our guest experience, as cleanliness and comfort are our first priority. However, I would also like to apologize for the incident you witnessed during breakfast. This is not indicative of our procedures here at our hotel and we will address that situation with our staff as well. Thank you again for your feedback and I hope we have the opportunity to serve you again in the future to see that these issues have been corrected. Please let me know if you have any additional concerns in the future. Debbie Anthony, General Manager, Hampton Inn & Suites, Durant, Oklahoma.
Marion, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I spend a lot of nights every year in hotels and motels, and I have been for more than half a century. For most of that time I traveled mostly for business, in the US and beyond; for the past few years most of my travel has been for pleasure, accompanied by wife, or family, or friends. For many years now I have favored the Hilton chain - Hilton, Homewood Suites, Hampton Inn, Embassy Suites, etc. - for consistency and quality. When traveling with children and family we prefer Homewood Suites but when it is just my wife and I we usually opt of a Hampton Inn & Suites if available.
The Hampton chain is in transition: some locations are still "old school" and a little worn and lacking some amenities, but the price usually reflects this. I still book them if I am "in transit" to someplace else and just looking for a bed for the night. A growing number of Hampton's, however, are either newly built or fully remodeled and are gems - elegance and comfort at very reasonable prices, with well-trained staff demonstrating fine morale, and a true "Hilton" sense of hospitality. For us road warriors, these are the kinds of places we want to return to again and again.
The Durant facility is one of those "new" style places: our king-no smoking AAA room is large, the bed is comfortable, the desk is equipped with enough outlets for our electronics, the TV is flat and large and the channel selection large, there is a refrigerator, a large walk-in shower in a large bathroom. The public areas are pretty, with dark wood, high ceilings, wide hallways, all elegantly presented. The staff greeted us warmly and asked after our comfort at every opportunity.
All of this should have earned the location all the points it could get - and "Excellent" in every category. "Should have", except that there were gaps, places where this Hampton came up short, and that can get annoying. Example: the breakfast service, usually a high point for Hampton, did not include any yogurt or granola ("ran out this week") and no potato item in the "hot" choices. One of the bath towels was threadbare and too worn to dry anything, and should have been taken out of service long ago. There was a side chair but no easy chair in the room, even though there was plenty of space. The microwave cabinet in the room held no microwave.
No one of those complaints - or even all taken together - would prevent me from recommending Hampton-Durant, but they do chip away at the "Excellent" rating, and, as oversights, might indicate growing problems that will get worse if unaddressed. I have noticed this as a pattern with the newly remodeled Hamptons (I have stayed in about 20 so far this year) - a problem with consistent execution. Sometimes it shows up in the breakfast, sometimes in filling special requests (if I book a suite for 4 people I expect linens and towels for 4 people on my arrival), desks without any outlets or lamps, identifying signs that are not lighted... that kind of thing. I hope that Hilton gets a grip on consistence and quality control in these, their most economical and numerous line. Even a beautiful plate of carefully prepared and designed gourmet food can be spoiled by just one hair from a kitchen worker.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ZedOConnell
Also consider these accommodations in or near Durant
La Quinta Inn & Suites Durant
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Durant
Best Western Markita Inn
Quality Inn & Suites Durant
Best Express Inn & Suites
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Denison

Been to Hampton Inn and Suites - Durant? Share your experiences!