“Still the best!!!”

Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Durant
New Braunfels, TX
“Still the best!!!”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

The family and I stay here on a regular basis (at least 3-4 times per year) to visit family. I have NEVER had a bad stay. Maybe some of the people reviewing this hotel expect it to be the Waldorf Astoria. Its not. Its a Holiday Inn Express. And for $163 per night we got the 2 room suite. Its ALWAYS been reasonably clean and reasonably stocked. The beds are comfy (that's saying alot since we sleep on a Tempur pedic at home) the heat and a/c has always worked and plenty of channels on the TV for my wife and I to argue about. LOL. The breakfat has alot of items to choose from. Its not the Zodiac inside Neiman's Dallas (yes they have a very fine restaurant there) but its hot and its filling and not just sweetrolls like alot of other hotels. I have said this before and the trip there Feb 22nd confirms the fact for me that this is one of my favorite hotels anywhere. Some faces have changed since I was last there, but the service and friendliness hasn't changed any.

Room Tip: The slots at the casino in Durant are among the tightest I've ever played and the smoke inside t...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed February 25, 2013

States here for only one night but I was very impressed. The Staff was knowledgeable, hotel was very clean, Ans the breakfast was very good. Room was a little larger than I have come to expect from hotels in this category. I travel to Durant at least monthly and I have to say this is the best hotel on town.

• Stayed February 2013
Lufkin, Texas
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Let me preface this review by stating I am NOT a neat freak. However, I do expect the hotels I stay in to be cleaner than my brother who has 5 kids' house. Sadly that was not the case this week when I stayed in this hotel during an annual business trip. The lobby area downstairs was tidy, but that's where the neatness stopped. The table directly outside the elevator on the second floor was covered in dust thick enough for one to write in it, and someone (or someoneS) had done just that. When I laid down in bed that night I noticed a big cobweb above the window. As I stepped into the shower the next morning I noticed a big green booger smeared on the curtain. Only one of the towels in the bathroom was a bright white. The other two were dingy gray and had tattered ends. The 2nd floor hallway was not vacuumed the three days of my stay. There was a lot of confetti sized paper bits scattered along the hallway, and several large dirty footprints were outside of my room.

As an added bonus wi-fi was unreliable and slow.

I was very disappointed with my stay as I stayed here last year, and it was acceptable. Next year I'm going to strongly encourage my boss to book a different hotel. La Quinta will be open shortly, and the Choctaw was very nice and luxurious feeling when I stayed there 2 years ago.

Breakfast was decent, and the staff was pleasant. Those are the only two things that saved this hotel from getting a 1.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Durant, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Rachel K,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us. I am happy you liked some aspects of the hotel. However, I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us and regret you received housekeeping service, cleanliness issues and internet service which was less than satisfactory. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly.

Thank you again for your comments. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel and replace your bad experience with one that reflects our true standards.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
Lee's Summit, Missouri
Reviewed January 23, 2013

The hotel rooms were nice, cleane and very comfortable. The staff was courteous and responsive as well. However, due to overbooking, if we had not checked in earlier than we originally planned our room would not have been available and we would have been relocated to Denison, TX. We stayed here due to a very ill family member in the hospital in Durant. If we had been relocated, well...things would not have been pretty.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Lincoln
Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

The front desk folks were very pleasant and welcoming. Some of the housekeeping staff appeared to resent being there. We had to request towels and shampoo as the room has been shorted and the drawers were not working properly. The breakfast was not well stocked and there were no cinnamon rolls for the entire three days of our stay. (Cinnamon rolls are the reason that I choose HIE over Hampton. We'll probably stay elsewhere if we are once again in Durant.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Shep8
Arkansas
Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

We stayed one night as a stopover. The outside was nice, the front desk was courteous. The room was clean but my huge disappointment was the linens, the towels were gray and anything but soft and fluffy. The were rough and not folded neatly in the shelves. I almost wondered if they had been used. The bed linens were no better. They were dingy and worn . My experience with other HIE was to find big fluffy towels and soft white sheets. We were exhausted so we just went to bed. My husband went down for breakfast the next morning but due to several bus loads of students they kept running out of food. They should have planned ahead for such a large crowd. Finally he gave up and went looking for a luggage cart so we could leave. After 30 minutes a cart was never returned so we hauled our bags down ourselves. Which wouldn't normally be a problrm but my husband just had surgery and we really needed a cart. No, we will stay somewhere else next time.

• Stayed December 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Durant, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear sandcastles08,

Thank you for leaving us such a detailed review of your stay. I am glad to see that you left some feed back on what you liked as well as what feel below your expectations. We deeply apologize for the inconvenience you encountered with the room amenities, hotel service and breakfast situation during your stay. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. We are hospitality professionals and strive to be the best. Your comments will be looked into. If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, Please do not hesitate to let us know.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
Ofallon, MO
Reviewed November 14, 2012

The hotel was very nice and clean. They also give discount to government. We only spent a night, but had no problems. Hotel also has shuttle to local casino. Only problem is that the breakfast buffet was not kept stocked with food.

Room Tip: Discount for government and very clean.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Durant
La Quinta Inn & Suites Durant
Best Western Markita Inn
Hampton Inn and Suites - Durant
Quality Inn & Suites Durant
Best Express Inn & Suites
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Denison

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Durant? Share your experiences!