“So much better than we ever expected”

Chisholm Trail Heritage Center
Ranked #1 of 6 things to do in Duncan
More attraction details
Owner description: Museum traces the history of the famous Chisholm cattle trail of the 1870s and 80s.
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We never expected this tour to be as good as it was. The movie of the trail was so awesome, I have never seen one like this. When they cooked on the film you smelled it, you also smelled the dust storm, felt the cold wind and rain. Felt the rattle of the snake and the stampede. We had a great time, the wonderful lady that did our tour knew her history about Oklahoma and Jesse Chisholm. Highly recommend this to everyone, the kids will love it.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"oklahoma"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed May 6, 2013

I just loved my visit to the Chisholm Trail Heritage Center. I liked the theater with the robotic cowboys and the movie was excellent, as was the art gallery. The next time I am in the area I would like to visit it again.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

There is nothing spectacular about the "attraction." The museum is primitive and doesn't have much to it. There's a theater with robotic cowboys, which is alright but will keep that chant stuck in your head for a while. The statues outside are the best part, which is not really part of the museum. It's a tourist trap.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

I was unprepared to find such excellence in a small museum off the beaten path. It did an terrific job in presenting the experience of the cattle drives from Texas, through Indian Territory (Oklahoma), to the rail lines in Kansas. These drives, of course, are of mythic significance in American history. I thoroughly enjoyed the big screen movie which engaged the five senses while telling a full story in 15 short minutes. In the room next door, visitors were invited to eavesdrop on a campfire dialogue between two robotic figures, a cowhand and Jesse Chisholm. it was the most realistic I have seen ANYWHERE; period. I was thoroughly impressed. The interactive room down the hall had video clips from movies, audios of cowboy songs, and a decision-making exhibit to test one's judgement as a trail boss. These were great fun. Finally, the art gallery was truly impressive. My personal favorite was a very, very fine painting by Gerome Tiger, "Indian Justice." It was awesome to stand before such a fine work of art. I urge any visitor within a hundred miles to make the trip to Duncan so they can visit his hidden gem of of museum.