“Sadly Declining”

Arbuckle Wilderness
Ranked #6 of 7 things to do in Davis
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Drive-through safari adventure featuring lots of exotic animals.
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Although not what it used to be, Arbuckle Wilderness is still my favorite park of its kind, mainly because it is the only one I know of that will allow me to bring my dogs. I have two yappy little dogs (a schnauzer and a maltese) and they love to go critter hunting. It's an easy day trip from the Dallas/Fort Worth area to Davis, Oklahoma so we try to go a couple of times a year. Sadly, the giraffes are gone, the wolves are gone, the lions are gone. I did see a tiger or two. There were lots and lots of llamas and goats, but I saw very few deer. The ostriches and emus didn't seem to be quite in abundance either and I saw very few zebra. One highlight was the small herd of buffalo that were running free among the cars. They were all lying down, but when we approached and they heard our dogs, they politely stood and then impolitely stared. On one hand I was disappointed because the variety of animals just weren't there, but my dogs didn't care. They barked themselves dry and we all had a wonderful time. I always look forward to my next trip to Arbuckle Wilderness.

1  Thank Goldie B
There are newer reviews for Arbuckle Wilderness

Reviewed August 18, 2013

I used to take my kids every couple of years and we always had fun, but when I decided to take my 2 yr old grandson on Aug.16,2013 it was horrible! There weren't very many animals, no exotics except 1 hyena, there were mostly llamas, and burros. I paid almost $100 to go through the drive thru , but when we got back to the gift shop we were told the rest of the park was closed and we couldn't go in! $100 just to see a few llamas, burros, a few ostriches, 2 zebras, 2 rhinos, 2 Belgian horses, and a few deer just seems a little extreme! When I asked about a discount/ refund I was told NO REFUNDS! I won't be going back ever and I'll be telling everyone I know to not waste their money!

2  Thank Linda C
Reviewed August 14, 2013

If you went years ago, the prices were fairly reasonable and the location was kept up reasonably well. They still have exotic animals that will come right up to eat from you (the camels will put their enormous heads in your car to search for food even around your feet). They also act as a "storage" facility for circuses/acts who need to put their animals somewhere when not in season.

To the right of the entrance is a section with a few activities sometimes available such as go-carts and there is a path around a small lake with animals like snakes in cages/buildings. This entire section is broken down and a waste of time.

If you decide to go, make sure you do when it's not very hot (off season or morning/evening), get food pellets, and take a lazy drive around. Going slowly, I'd say this is an hour experience.

1  Thank Chaim W
Reviewed July 13, 2013

All of the cages meant for the exotic animals are empty, grass grown up, and nasty. All the signs are peeling paint, and have no information. They have advertisements for all of These exotic animals, and I didn't see anything "exotic." It costs a lot of money for such a disappointment. Also, drove for 2 hours to see the "200 acres of thousands of exotic animals." You can tell that the place used to be a fun, and educational park. Management obviously changed, and whoever owns the place just wants money, and puts nothing into maintaining the park. It is a huge dump.

13  Thank Martineddy
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Being an animal lover, I was SO excited to visit Arbuckle wilderness. My boyfriend and I decided to make a day of it and drive up to Davis, OK. He had been there when he was little and was excited for me to see it. However, when we got there we quickly realized this place isn't what it used to be. You have to go into the gift shop to pay for your admission, but there was not a single worker in sight, so I bet many people just drive through without paying. It is extremely overpriced. The admission price does not include feed for the animals. So we paid extra for the feed. When you actually enter the park, it is EXTREMELY run down. For as much as they charge for admission, I would expect them to be able to afford some paint and a few boards to fix the place up. And the animals consisted mostly of donkey's and llamas. There was a tiger, rhino and a few other exotic animals, but their living conditions were not the greatest. You could tell the animals were bored. I would love to see them fix this place up. Until then, save your money.

12  Thank Lindsay S