“This place is very dangerous for kids”
Review of Turner Falls Park

Turner Falls Park
Ranked #1 of 7 things to do in Davis
More attraction details
Owner description: Turner Falls Park in Davis, OK is an adventurous and family-friendly annual destination nestled in the Arbuckle Mountains and home to a 77ft waterfall. Our park is open 7 days a week from 7am to 10pm. There are no pets allowed and no glass bottles. A Proud Adventure Road Travel Partner.
Reviewed July 31, 2009

My daughter and i were walking in 3 ft of water, when suddenly we stepped into 12 ft water. My duaghter started to drown me and her both, but luckily a man saved us (the lifeguards never even noticed- immedicately upon climbing out i looked over at the lifeguards, and NONE OF THEM where even looking at the people swimming.

Meanwhile at the same time, My 12 year old daughter was sliding down the slide. As soon as she got to the bottom the person behind her in line slid down on top of her. She started drowning too, and my husband had to save her....the lifegurads neevr even achknowledged it
Another thing that pissed me off was, the cave above probably 400 ft in the air...people were having a hard time crossing from one rock to the next, and all the while below i could see half of the sole of thier shoe hanging off, because there is not but enough room for thier whole foot,.,,,,it made me sick to watch all of these teenagers climbing up there and nearly every one of them loooked like they were going to fall at any moment.
GRAB a clue Oklahoma, BUY SOME SIGNS, to tell people that the water is about to drop from 3ft to 12....or put up a rope. POST NO DIVING SIGNS, because people were diving in shallow water EVERYWHERE.

ALso, put some ropes up around the part where people are crossing over in the cave...

Lets just say, my quote for the day was, "WE ARENT IN TEXAS ANYMORE>" Because TEXAS would have signs, grab a clue!!!

9  Thank mesolovy

Reviewed July 27, 2009

We visited the park on the weekend of 7/25. There was a line of car almost 2 miles long to even get to the entrance to park...took over an hour to reach the entrance gate. The entrance cost was a little steep I thought at $9 for adults. Once inside it was extremely overcrowded. Park staff were not friendly. Parking was limited, so to see any of the attractions (Waterfalls, 3 caves, swimming areas) you had to walk a lengthy distance. Swimming areas have no lifeguard. We had packed a lunch so decided to venture up the top of the mountain where the campsites were located..road access to the sites was bad, several of the sites had litter on the ground and some water bottles thrown in the streams, we did see a crew come around emptying the trash cans. The park would be a great family attraction, but until they clean it up and make it more accessible, I doubt I would return. Just seems owners dont care to maintain the park as long as its still bringing in the bucks. The streams and pools at nearby Chickasaw Natl Recreation Area in Sulphur were much more enjoyable

4  Thank WANDERLUSTJAM
Reviewed July 8, 2009

My 7 yr old daughter and I had a blast at Turner Falls over a 3 day weekend! (Sun-Tues) The water/river/swimming holes were crystal clear and refeshing and clean, and the cabin we rented was clean too. BUT overall, the park was a trashed up mess, and its really too bad because Turner Falls could be top notch with a little TLC from both management and guests.

The natural beauty of the hiking trails and caves were absolutely destroyed by empty water bottles, snak bags, errant sandles and yes, even a dirty diaper. So sad!! Some of the trails are overgrown and a few of the attractions--like the castle--that the kids would just love, are a mess and borderline dangerous with their current state of disrepair. Part of it appears that management can't keep it cleaned up and some of the responsibility falls on the shoulders of the guests who apparently don't care enough to dump their own trash in the plentiful cans around the park.

Be advised-if you are renting a cabin--ask for any of them 9 and up--away from the others. Cabins are duplexes and the walls between units are thin!!!! You are at the mercy of your neighbors--or better yet, go with family or friends and rent both units. Cabin was clean. Trails are unmarked and can be trecherous for littler kids-tweens and up should have no problems. The other attractions like the castles & playground areas aren't in very good shape to be much fun. If you concentrate on the water and hiking and if you are willing to seriosuly overlook the trash--you will enjoy Turner Falls.

All of the park employees also were very nice, they even made a quick repair to our cabin upon check in. Snack Bars/grills and park stores are open daily and provide a quick fix if you run out something. Lines for snak bars were LOOONG during peak periods.

Didn't do any RV or tent camping, but many of the sites I did see weren't clearly marked, many did not have adequate cover from trees (in my opinion) and many many sites were overgrown with brush. If you want to make your own way, its do-able if you are a seasoned camper.

Bottom line: If you can overlook the trash and avoid being there when crowds are maxed out you can have fun at Turner Falls.

My hope is that management would read these reviews and close the park down for 8 weeks in winter and completely clean it up and spruce it up for the next season.

4  Thank CaptainCamper
Reviewed July 1, 2009

This is what happens when parks are not supervised and rules are not inforced. unfortunately my Wife,son and I went on a late afternoon Sunday and found out what an overcrowded poorly supervised mess of a park this is. It,s not just the park attendents fault ,It was the lack of respect and misconduct of visitors who left trash in the river and around the park.People let there children roam everywhere with little supervision. Tents and cars were set up next to water falls at far end of park with no supervision or care for property. water bottles,pop and beer cans,plasic bags,animal waste and even a wrapped up diaper was left on top of the falls. Went down a posted trail to bridelview overlook and some small caves,the paths were not marked and walkways had overgrown with trees.people were going in all directions through the trees and bluffs trying to find there way to the water.We followed some others and found areselves scaling the bluffs to the bottom of the falls. No posted signs what so ever.Very dangerous situations with children going up and down the rocks. This Park at one time was a very nice place and mabey it still is in the offseason,but is not recommended by my family for a summer weekend visit.With all the money they make on a busy weekend ,it seems they could put more(qualified) people on staff to supervise the park .

20  Thank weekendtravler65
Reviewed June 7, 2009

I've been to Turner Falls 3 times...once in the winter, once on a holiday, and once in the summer and each time has been a different experience. In the winter (Early November 2007) I think there were only like 10 people total in the park. It was very quiet, very peaceful, and really nice to have the place to ourselves. We did some hiking and had an overall relaxing day. On the holiday (Labor day 2008) IT WAS PACKED!! I guess everyone had the same idea because I have never seen so many people in my life! Yes, with this many people, it did feel kind of dirty but eventually (after a lot of wandering) we found a quite area to put down our stuff and actually get away from most of the crowds. In the summer (June 2009) there was a fair amount of people in the park but it was not busting at the seams (like Labor Day). The pools at the entrance and where the actual falls are were relatively empty with most of the throngs of people BBQing and laying out up and down the river. All in all I enjoy Turner Falls... would I drive hours and hours to get to this park? No, but for a quick daytrip from N. Dallas where I reside it is a fun place to go to get away from the city.

3  Thank pamela_berman

Been to Turner Falls Park? Share your experiences!