“This place went down hill big time!”
Review of Turner Falls Park

Turner Falls Park
Ranked #2 of 7 things to do in Davis
More attraction details
Owner description: Turner Falls Park in Davis, OK is an adventurous and family-friendly annual destination nestled in the Arbuckle Mountains and home to a 77ft waterfall. Our park is open 7 days a week from 7am to 10pm. There are no pets allowed and no glass bottles. A Proud Adventure Road Travel Partner.
Dallas, TX
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“This place went down hill big time!”
Reviewed September 3, 2008

Whoever took over is not doing a good job at all. Horribly over priced.
Over Crowded. Over patrolled and the officers are rude to people and overbearing. I've enjoyed past visits and I am pretty sure my last visit was my last. I read that the City of Davis took over and I thought they would have made some changes for the good. I do not have anything positive to say about Turner Falls anymore which is unfortunate because this use to be a great place.

5 Thank bmenichole

Oklahoma City
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Too strict and should be cleaner!”
Reviewed August 30, 2008

It's been about eight years since i last stayed at turner falls. I usually like to camp just beyond(west) of the tee pee area, along the creek. I noticed a sign that said no camping at tee pees, so i asked a Davis police officer if i could pitch a tent beyond the tee pees and he said "i don't see why not". I didn't see why not either, so cool. We set up an awesome camp site next to the creek beyond Tee Pees. Gather wood for fire and everything. So far so good. We go for a hike up the right side of the falls and back above the falls, beautiful. We come back to the camp site and start cooking, its about 5:30pm then we notice there's a note taped to our tent stating that we most move our camp site, camping is not allowed here. So i wave down a passing by Davis Police Officer and told him that i had asked a Davis Police Officer, described the police officer, saying He said i could camp there. He starts bad mouthing that certain officer, whom is off duty now. i still have to move my camp site. I ask if there was anyway i could just stay over night, being that it was getting late, had dinner cooking and was told i could camp there in the first place. So he calls the Assistant Police Chief for the Davis police department and just ask, not very sympathetically, if they where letting any body camp by the creek beyond the tee pees. Of coarse the answer was no. I ask where we could camp. It turns out that you cannot camp anywhere along the 3/4 quarter mile of creek between the Large 77' waterfall and the Blue Hole(Blue hole is swimming area complete with slide). No camping along that creek is a BIG BUMMER!!! That's a new rule since I'd camped there last. Maybe there trying to keep the creek cleaner or something. They make everyone camp together above the falls or in the cow pen area camp site. The bush area is EXTREMELY littered with debris in the bush area behind camp sites. Everyone is camping right next to each other, crowded together. Blaring car stereos playing Mexican or rock music about 100' from your camp site makes it hard to relax and enjoy nature..

Another thing i thought was crazy. Rule number 2 on camping rules broacher, No Rock Climbing! Really?!?
We got there Friday at about noon and packed up camp a second time, and left at 7:30am Saturday morning. didn't even make 24 hrs. Not relaxing at all.

The good:
The stars at night are amazing. No problem seeing the Milky Way.
The little falls along the creek above the 77' foot waterfall are really beautiful and must be walked through. ( wear old snickers).
The trail to the left side of the 77' falls takes you to a cave about 100 yards down that you can see on the mountain, on left side.

This place should be making a lot of money, with the high park camping and day trip fees , times the amount of people staying their. The money they make should cover the cost of keeping the park a lot cleaner.

4 Thank InsomniacJames
Louisiana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“I will be back!!!!”
Reviewed August 23, 2008

I have vacationed at Turner Falls twice since coming acroos it online last year. Once was in the spring and the other in the fall. The scenery was absolutely gorgeous both times. The Falls, the caves...everything was wonderful. We were able to watch the wildlife (deer, turkey racoons etc) which was very enjoyable. We stayed in the one of the teepees which was just wonderful. They are located right next to the big creek and you can hear the water all night long. There were not a lot of people either time. The bathrooms were very clean and the whole park for the majority was clean. If you are looking to get away and just relax...this is a great place. And if you like to rough it...try the teepees!!!

3 Thank luving2travel
Kansas City, KS
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“City of Davis Dump Site”
Reviewed August 23, 2008

I have never been so disgusted as I am regarding our recent stay at Turner Falls. As we had to be in Oklahoma City for some medical tests, we decided to make a mini-vacation out of it. We had heard good things from my mom about visiting Turner Falls back we she was a child. We were further heartened to find out that the City of Davis had taken over the park - given our experience in other municipal maintained parks, we though this would be a good thing. We could not have been more wrong!

We when arrived, we were surprised that you have to pay for everything in advance at the front gate - before you are able to see the park or your accommodations. Since we were staying two nights and had 2 adults and 4 children, it was $353. That was $120 per night for the cabin and then separate charges for swimming and park access (you would think that would be included in the overnight rate - but no. And in fairness to the park - that is probably disclosed somewhere but we failed to catch it). After we saw the park (the cabins were actually not too bad just expensive for what you get), we saw why they want the money in advance. That is to say - the place was a TOTAL MESS. Trash everywhere - empty bottles, dirty diapers, food wrappers, and etc. both around the cabins and camping sites as well as floating in the stream where you are swimming. It was the most disgusting thing I have ever seen. On top of the filth, there were city workers everywhere sitting around (there is a police station and city maintenance facility on site) and just shooting the breeze. I was heartened to see two city employees with "reach sticks" and trash bags walking along to pick up trash one morning - at this point I thought "Hey maybe I just being too white and uptight - maybe they just had a big weekend or something and are trying to catch up (mind you this was a Thursday). However, I was disheartened once again as I saw that they walked about 2 blocks and only picked up a handful of items - I have no idea how they chose those 5 or 6 items out of the literally thousands of pieces of trash!

On top of the filth, there were so many other things: It has been noted that there were sometimes several lifeguards on duty and sometimes none. The funny thing is that at the Blue Hole, there is a list of rules that start by saying:

1. No swimming unless life guard is on duty.

then on the same sign it says:

13. No life guard on duty - swim at own risk

Of course for the two hours we were swimming there was no life guard present. We also noticed that one of the ladders leading out of the Blue Hole had rusted through on one side. I can not believe any municipality would take so many chances with health and safety.

To give you some perspective, we had vacationed near Monterrey, Mexico in June of this year. As Americans we tend to think that everything in the US is cleaner and safer than in a 2nd world country. Let me assure you, every place we went in Mexico while not always up to US standards of cleanliness and safety, were MUCH cleaner and in better repair than this place.

Please do yourself a favor and avoid this place until the City of Davis decides to clean it up.

12 Thank TEmer91337
Dallas, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Such a shame...”
Reviewed August 3, 2008

Just got back from Turner Falls today. We stayed two nights in Shelter 5.

I think the money you pay here is not worth what you get..

I thought the shelters were going to be horrible..they were not that bad at all. It was kinda like a huge shed with lattice & mesh windows on a concrete slab. There were 3-4 electric outlets inside and a place outside for a water hose. There were 4 twin size beds (that we didn't sleep on) and two picnic tables. One table was inside the shelter and one was outside. There was also a ceiling fan with a light.

This place COULD be such an AMAZING place..but it isn't. It was so TRASHY and I don't just mean trash on the ground. There were some REALLY sketchy people out at all hours of the night. Along the roads, in the woods, in the water EVERYWHERE were broken beer bottles, cans, diapers, etc. It was nasty.

The tent camping is no electric & no water - So you can pretty much pitch a tent ANYWHERE.

I don't think the park moniters how many people are going in and out of this place. Some of these campsites had LARGE family's of probably 10-15 and when you get that many people in a spot it gets LOUD. Just about every tent site had over 5 people.

We went to the main fall a few times to swim in the damned in area at the bottom of the fall. The first time there were three life guards on duty and the other times there was not a life guard in site. If you go in the morning the water is SO COLD!! It was super nice since it was about 106 while we were there.

There are a few places to buy forgotten items - There is a cafe of some sort up front near the "Blue Hole" (never swam there it was closed the Saturday we were there - a child drowned) - Across from the cafe is a Trading Post (misc items). Down in the camping area's there is a store that sells ice, cigs, floaties, other mis items and they also serve food (bacon, eggs, hamburgers, fries, nachos..etc) - Further down there is a snow cone stand that sells misc items also as well as fire wood. Near the falls there is a stand that sells snow cones & other mis items - There is also a Craft stand near the falls that sells crafts.

The castle was pretty awesome - Again, very trashy. There is an old privy and I'm sure somone may have used it..cause that is what it smells like up there - You can see that kids got after it with a can of spray paint - There are *tons* of stairs!!!

The staff is pretty rude...very rude actually. The women who answer the phones sound quite annoyed with questions.

TONS of cops driving around - in trucks, 4 wheelers and on foot patrol. You can look at that in two different ways....let me just say that the police work really hard at Turner Falls - and they were all really nice

Not much parking....whites/blacks/natives are minority...nice views...waking up to the smell of the cedar trees was amazing

I was told by on the the male members of our group that the men's bathrooms were pretty bad - poop in the showers with all toilets over filling or not operating...the women's bathrooms were ok I've seen way worse and better they were very long lines bc each lady had like 3 kids with her

7 Thank kendra21myers

Been to Turner Falls Park? Share your experiences!