“A night to remember”
Review of Trade Winds Inn

Trade Winds Inn
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Clinton
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I have a soft spot for dive motels. The Route 66 mystique is defined in part by kitchsy little way stations that give bad taste a good name. The Route 66 Museum is literally across the street so you would expect that the Trade Winds would stand out as a shining example of the little motel that attracts weary travelers and makes them happy it did. Their business card boasts "Sleep Where Elvis Slept" and I've seen it advertised on their parking lot sign, though it was not up there when I passed through in December. I have to believe that Elvis's room was nothing like the one I was in or their motto would be "Sleep Where Elvis Left." I am grungier than the King was so I took up the challenge of staying the night.

Looking at other reviews for the Trade Winds, I feel bad about piling on but I give my one star rating with love. I really do have a weakness for dumpy motels. They're so much fun to talk about.

The front door to my room was nicely dented as one might expect. I figured it was done on departure as a review of someone's lodging experience. I requested a non-smoking room and I believe it technically was but the musty odor was so powerful that tobacco could have been drowned in it.

The interior highlights!
A piece of particle board was affixed to a gap above the door frame. The door frame had a security chain hanging from it but there was no track on the door to attach it to. So it was a decorative chain basically. The tangerine accent wall had multiple white scratches on it and a large hole stuffed with socks, apparently for insulation. I'm not sure if credit should go to motel management or to a previous lodger but someone was trying to be proactive. The still life artwork from the 1950s matched the bedspreads which also probably hail from the 50s. More holes and craters in the yellow wall facing the beds and violent gouge marks on the side of the dresser/TV stand. The carpet had never been vacuumed as far as I could tell and featured a large piece of electrical tape that covered a tear in the fabric I assume. Unless it was decorative -- hard to be sure. The walls in the bath and under sink area were dinged up, peeling, bubbled, scribbled over with pen marks, and had holes where bolts used to be before they were pulled out from their anchors. The complimentary Kleenex dispenser had also been yanked out of its wall slot. There was one hanger on the hanger bar. I guess the others became souvenirs. There was a fist-sized hole in the bathroom door and grimy bath tub with hair in it. The ceiling light fixtures in the bedroom and the bathroom were both uncovered, just exposed bulbs. I had concerns about sleeping in these beds but fatigue caught up with me and I bit the bullet. The sheets were probably a 50 thread count, smooth as fine sandpaper. The heat was quite good though and so was the wifi access. So hey, there's that. Make sure to ask about their great weekly rates!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
23  Thank bluesdog

Reviewed August 31, 2011

The hotel was horrible! Towels was dirty and I was wondering if they washed the bedclothes or just left them after the previous guest (guests?). The air conditioning was working so loudly that it was impossible to sleep and we had to switch it on and off a few times during the night. Don't stay there.

Room Tip: Run! Run away!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Hipopotam
Reviewed August 20, 2011

Whilst on the Route 66 journey across the States, took guide book advice about this motel stayed in 4 times by Elvis with a preserved shrine-like room in his honour. Turned up and confronted by a very ordinary exceptionally smelly reception...a curry odour, which I usually like, but this was old and stale. Not particularly inviting and a tad dearer than other options, Elvis appeared to have been long forgotten....if he stayed 4 times it must have had something then...it ain't now

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank TrueBlueRay
Reviewed October 22, 2010

The rooms smelled like moth balls so strong we could not stay. the sheets had burn holes and so did the pillow cases. staines on the comforter. Management did not speak good english.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kaboyphil
Reviewed October 8, 2010

We stayed at this hotel as we were travelling through on Route 66 Litte do we know what awaited us when we checked into the room unfortunatly for 2 nights.
Cockroaches on the floor in bathroom & toilet, sink in bathroom flooded to the top when water was flushed from the above unit, with smelly drainage water. Terrible Smell in room every time you returned, pillows terrible, had no stuffing in them, Breakfast is a disgrace, microwave filthy and the cupboards where you got your plates etc had no doors on and were filthy inside. Outside there was huge generator running 24hrs a day at a fairground right next door to our room, there was no let up, needless to say we got no sleep and checked out very early on our second night never to return. Please don;t anyone ever waste the time staying there again.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ozzietraveller2010
Reviewed August 11, 2010

I was really wanting to save some money, so I avoided all the chain motels out on I-40. The grounds, to be sure, are pretty off-putting with the empty shell of a pool. But, hey, for $40 the room was really pretty nice. You could see the architectural elements of a '60s modern room like something off the New Jersey Turnpike circa 1965, which I thought was kind of cool,, and even a couple of upholstered white chairs that looked to be about that old. This must have really been a pretty nice place 50 years ago. But the carpet and paint and furniture were all new. Other than a dead cricket on the bathroom floor, the room was clean. There was a fridge, microwave and coffeemaker. There was even a Jacuzzi tub, although it was up around 100 degrees that day, so I sure wasn't interested, And you gotta love that Elvis once stayed here. In fact, his room was the one right over mine. No, it's not the nicest place I've ever stayed, but I seriously found nothing wrong with it. If you're a Route 66/roadside Americana/nostalgia traveler, this is the place for you.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed May 31, 2010

very old; in poor repair; dirty; scared to sit on bed or stand in shower. laid towels down in bottom of tub to stand on. couldn't sleep b/c room had 2 doors and on both the dead bolt lok was broken off!! creepy...it advertises that this is where Elvis liked to stay...well maybe they haven't done any work or cleaning on it since then!!!!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple