“About what you'd expect, but no complaints”

Montana Mike's Steakhouse
Ranked #19 of 37 Restaurants in Clinton
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 13, 2012

I read some other reviews which talked about poor service, so I wanted to mention that when we ate here during our cross- country trip, the service was excellent. As always, the service at any place can vary by your server, but our waiter this night was hugely attentive, fast, and responded to every non-standard request. He was great and we left a good tip.
The food is what you would expect from any chain-place - not great, but it satisfied my hunger after 8 hours on the road. Just don't expect it to be something which it is not. I am a "foodie" so would never eat here if I had another choice, but I also won't eat at Red Robin or Appleby's or Olive Garden.

There are newer reviews for Montana Mike's Steakhouse

Reviewed September 18, 2012

I was driving from Tucson to Oklahoma City and needed lunch and stopped in Clinton, OK cause it sounded like a place to check out. It was the 'all you can eat' catfish lunch day for 12.99 and I ordered a glass of pinot grigio (for a reasonable fiver) and the catfish lunch with 2 sides of sweet tater fries and fried okra (hey---I grew up in Oklahoma!).
It was delicious and a nice serving along with a big fat home-baked roll and butter. I didn't need an additional serving as I knew I was having dinner with family but it was really great food and a great waitress too.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

Our second visit here. Good selection on the menu. Staff was friendly. Food very good. We'll come back again.

1  Thank CE D
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I mean here you are in cow country-what else? Great down home place-a little noisy, but the prime rib was wonderful and perfectly done. Usual sides-baked potatoes, salad-but all good.

1  Thank Leonore1005
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Positives: Tender, large steaks; convenient location; clean restroom
Negatives: Inconsistent service and food preparation; more seasoning needed on meat

We were in Clinton to visit the Route 66 Museum and had planned to eat at another local restaurant...but it was closed. Our experiences at Montana Mike's in Kansas had been great, so we decided to go there as "plan B". We were sadly disappointed!

Upon arrival the visit looked promising. Several cars were in the parking lot. About a dozen tables were occupied in the main dining room. Such a large number of people eating during the middle of a Saturday afternoon is usually a good sign, particularly in a town the size of Clinton.

A greeter seated us immediately. We noticed a slightly unpleasant smell that neither of us could identify. It wasn't objectionable enough to leave, and didn't smell dangerous, so we stayed.

Our server was personable and friendly. He met us with a smile and seemed eager to please. Drinks came so quickly we hadn't decided upon entrees. The server left and returned a couple of times before we were finally ready to order.

I ordered an ancho-crusted sirloin...cooked "medium well". For sides I chose a garden salad with dressing on the side, and a dry baked potato with sour cream on the side. My wife ordered buffalo steak, salad with dressing on top, and baked potato with butter.

Salads were delivered quickly and to-order. They were served in metal plates that resembled small pie tins. Ingredients were cold and fresh.

We'd eaten about half of our salads when the steaks arrived. Our server said "they surprised me...the steaks were done in six minutes." Our hot steaks cooled while we finished our salads. They should have come about the time we finished the first course.

Food on my wife's plate was correct: a nicely-sized cut of buffalo and large baked potato with butter on top. However, my "dry" potato was topped with a huge dollop of butter...and larger container of butter sat next to it!

I quickly removed all butter and asked for sour cream. Our server smiled, agreed, and disappeared. Five minutes later I found him at a register in the back of the restaurant and asked again. This time he brought it.

Both cuts of meat were large and flavorful. Because buffalo is so lean, my wife asked for it to be cooked to "medium". It was "medium rare" throughout, but edible. She said it would have benefitted from some additional seasoning.

My sirloin had two "medium well" markers, but was "medium" through most of it..."rare" in the thickest part of the steak. No wonder it was "cooked" in six minutes! Seasoning was also weak. The ancho chile rub provided a nice flavor but I would have liked more.

We'd eaten about half of our entrees when our server came with the bill. "No hurry", he said, "I'll just leave this here for later". Then he disappeared again. We never understood his rush. Two other servers were on duty, and they seemed to spend plenty of time at their tables.

In his haste, he failed to offer dessert...which we probably would have bought. (We ended up at Dairy Queen for a sundae!)

This is the first Montana Mike's location we've visited that disappointed us. We found portions ample, the ingredients seemed fresh and high quality, but food preparation and service were lacking.

Unlike servers in a lot of small towns, our server was friendly, but didn't seem to have a good grasp of his responsibilities. We wondered if he'd received any training.

Although dining options are limited in this part of Oklahoma, some alternatives are available, particularly if you're traveling along I-40. A couple of options are available in Clinton if you're willing to travel into town. The nearby communities of Elk City and Weatherford also offer restaurants. You might want to consider other locations until managers at this location can make improvements.