“Hammett House not to be missed” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hammett House Restaurant

Hammett House Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 82 Restaurants in Claremore
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Dining on a budget, Kids, Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Farfield, OH
“Hammett House not to be missed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

Unbelievable food! While traveling through OK, found this place and ate here two nights in a row. They make their own breads, rolls, pies to die for, and salad dressings. I had the Pamper Breaded Pork Chops and my husband had the rib eye the first night. He wanted to go back for the chops so I tried the Pamper Chicken Breast. Both nights were amazing and we will definitely come back next time we're this way. Just wish Hammett was located nearby our house in OH.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank karnold249

Santa Cruz, California
“(not) Enticed by the Pie”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

"A dozen pies" and "Southern homestyle meals" caught our attention while driving through Oklahoma. I found the chicken fried steaks dry and the salad was overdressed with a vinaigrette glue of sorts. The Lemon Pecan Pie (their specialty) was so-so and the Double Crust Cherry Pie was doughy. Sorry, we can't validate the stellar reviews and would not recommend you go out of your way for this meal.

• Visited September 2013
Lumut, Brunei
“Slightly overrated”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

Huge portions and pretty plates do not equal great home style cooking for me. For one thing, most of the food appeared to be deep fried frozen food which also not what I want from a restaurant that advertises home style cooking. Although I suppose in all fairness that it is in the "style" of home cooked if not actually prepared from scratch. . Our table had chicken livers and a blooming onion for appetizers, both of which could have been fresh prepared and were good. Then we had fried shrimp, frozen, fried chicken, most likely frozen, and a vegetable burger. All of these foods were quite greasy and just okay. The fried green tomato on the burger was good so that appetizer is probably quite good. The sweet potato fries were not good and the side salads were just lettuce, cucumber and tomato with dressing. we watched the servers prepare the salads from gigantic bags of prepared lettuce which hardly whetted the appetite. The pie crusts were okay although I did not see anything special about them. Again, piling up whip cream on top of a pie to make it big and pretty does not make it delicious. Overall, the food was generally okay to good, slightly overpriced, and hugely wasteful due to portions. Having said that, the atmosphere is nice and the service was very quick for a Sunday afternoon. Actually our service was top notch, kudos to the wait staff and especially the hostess which is why I went with four over three stars.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Wichita, Kansas
“High price for greasy food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

I was really looking forward to eating at Hammett House. I had read some favorable reviews online, and the lady working at the Will Rogers museum recommended it. After seeing several deep-fried plates come out of the kitchen, and being a little surprised at the menu prices (we were there for lunch), Our party of three all decided on the "Hot Hamburger" a house specialty, priced $8.99. Basically, a grease soaked slice of Texas Toast topped with a WAY under-cooked half-pound hamburger patty that had not the slightest hint of seasoning, greasy fried onions, a huge mound of the worst home cut french fries I have ever had in my life, and the entire plate is covered with gravy.

I was a little taken aback when the waitress asked how we wanted our hamburger cooked. I guess they have not heard about e coli at this establishment. We all asked for "No pink, but not dry", or Medium well to Well done. The burgers looked medium rare. Two of our party sent theirs back, and the other suffered through the undercooked meat. The greasy fries were terrible. We had seen some decent looking steak fries served at a neighboring table, and that was what we were expecting. No, these were "special, home-cut from fresh potatoes" and called "hot fries". The funny thing was, they were not even hot. They were long limp greasy strips of potato covered in gravy. Yuck.

Since none of us finished our "Hot Hamburger" plates, we asked about pie, hoping to have some positive experience. My mother-in-law wanted to try the sour cream cherry that was on the menu, but it was not available. I asked the price of a slice of pie, and was told $5! Yes, that is right FIVE DOLLARS. The pies looked like a huge pile of whipped topping, and not worth five bucks, so we left without getting dessert. I left a good tip for our server, since she did a decent job, and I actually pitied her for having to work at this place. If you plan to visit Claremore, OK I recommend that you skip Hammett House and get a hot dog and soda at the very nice Quick Trip convenience store.

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JustDebnJim
Fredericksburg, Texas
“One of America's Best Dining Experiences on the Mother Road (or anywhere else)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

I was tipped off about this place when I visited the Will Rogers Memorial, just around the corner. I'm glad I followed their advice. This is one of the best meals I've ever enjoyed on Route 66. I may have had a chicken fried steak sometime in my life that was just as good, but I can't remember where or when, and I know for a fact I've never had a better one. Green beans, mashed potatoes, some turkey and lamb fries, a couple of glasses of "citrus sweet tea" (it's what they use in heaven to accompany manna), fresh bread, and Lemon Pecan Pie (they invented it) all made for a really great meal. As others have noted: be prepared to take food home. The portions are very generous. BONUS: The placemats have the recipe for several of the pies, so you can take it home, and cook at home. That's unusual, and an example of the down home, generous atmosphere, and ambiance of this delightful place. If you go, tell Bill Biard that Catfish sentcha, and enjoy one of the most enjoyable dining experiences in America.

• Visited June 2013