The cabin was amazing - rented for a group of co-workers who came in town for meeting - excellent location - great set up for a group with plenty of room; cabin was beautifully decorated; location even has a private pond for fishing. Would definitely rent again!
My review will differ a little from others on this site but is an honest and fair review. We stayed from May 19-21, 2017. I am not a complainer and can overlook many things. However, when advertising "luxury", there are expectations for over 1K a night. A few "upscale" toiletries, does not make a "luxury" cabin.
First, the good. The cabin is very spacious and named well as the "Beehive". The kitchen was stocked nicely and overall, our stay was good. Our family reunion went well and all in all, everyone had a good time. However, there are many things that could have made it so much better.
Now the cons:
1. When you get your directions/rules, it will say "we don't take complaints after check-out or during stay"...??? So how are renters supposed to share issues/concerns they may encounter during their stay? I am guessing that means they don't want to hear any complaints because it appears the only time you can complain is before you check in and would have no complaints.
2. Paying almost 2500.00 for 2 nights, be aware you will also have to do "housekeeping" services. This includes: Stripping all the beds, collecting all the linen and towels, starting both washer/dryers with a load of white towels, load and run the dishwasher, set all thermostats up to 85 degrees, take all the trash out, and other various "duties". While I understand the food area, stripping all the beds and doing laundry seems a lot to ask of guests in a "luxury" cabin. This is not supposed to be the "economy" version. This brings us to the next issue
3. Check in is not until 4PM and check out promptly at 11 AM. This is not even a full 24 hours. It becomes a problem because your last day is spent doing all the housekeeping duties and no time to visit or cook breakfast, unless you are a real early bird. Vacation is meant to be relaxing and expected, those renting the cabin has sufficient housekeeping services! With 26 people in this cabin, most will be hosting family events. If check in is 4PM, then check-out should be at least noon and guests shouldn't have to spend the entire morning doing chores. That still gives their housekeeping services 4 hours before next guests arrive.
4. Be aware of the stairs going to the upper floor! The bottom and top step are not standard height. When coming down the stairs and stepping down on the last step, it is very high so can take you off balance (expecting a shorter step). We had 3 people fall (young and old). It would be wise for the owners to have fixed but at minimum, to put up a sign "watch your step" for tenants.
5. The beds (which are not luxury) still have plastic on the mattresses and are not "luxury". For shorter people, you may have to kind of jump up to get on the bottom bunk bed. The problem is, with the plastic still on the mattresses, when you jump up, the whole mattress slides so you miss it. Sounds crazy but we had a lot of adult women who were 5 ft tall and had issues with this. The upper bunks, safety rail is too low, needs to be lifted!
6. More seating is needed to accommodate 26 people. There is not enough seating for 16 adults, let alone the kids. We found many had to stand around and when hosting a family reunion, it would be nice if everyone could sit together for games, eating, and visiting.
7. There is a ceiling fan in the downstairs bedroom that is missing 2 screws on the blades. 1 screw on 2 different blades. This prevents you from using it as it wobbles like crazy.
8. Being a new cabin, the smell of varnish was extremely STRONG. Enough to be uncomfortable for many guests with allergies.
9. Rock outside is very loose so just be aware, over by the firepit, it is very easy to slip and fall. Had a 15 year old slip and fall and hurt his knee. Also, on the driveway, if it rains, you may get stuck if parking uphill. Face your vehicles downhill so you can get out, when needed.
10. Fishing pond-Seems this has been over fished so not really a great place for fishing. Be aware, catch and release only.
Again, can't complaint after check-in or at check-out so am sharing all this with future guests and in hopes the owners will read this review and take these opportunities to improve the guest experience.
A few opportunities for owners to make future guests experience better:
Add ceiling fans to outside decks (at least in gazebo area) and more outdoor seating. This cabin has amazing decks but very little places to sit.
Leave a broom, dustpan, and mop available for guests. With kids, a necessity!
Provide a scraper for the outdoor grills...we couldn't find any
Provide some extra blankets and pillows. Not all guests like the same temperature so some will be warm, some will be cold. For those cold, an extra blanket for their bed would have been nice for those guests.
A kitchen clock would be nice as many are coordinating meals, activities, etc so having a "base" clock, would be a nice addition.
Offer a way to guests to share concerns DURING their stay! Things go wrong in the best of places and there should be a way to reach someone, under those circumstances. Vacation rentals should provide these services!
Reduce the "duties" for guests, especially in a luxury cabin when rental fees are high. Cleaning the kitchen is understood, as food attracts bugs, but asking guests to do beds and laundry is a bit much. Again, checkout is early at 11 AM, and trying to pack, cook breakfast for 26 people and do all these chores, leaves no time for families to enjoy any time together.
A group of 16 stayed for a long weekend and had absolutely the best time. The cabin is huge! There are lots of bathrooms - including a hidden one off the dining area we did not find until 2nd day. The decks are so large that we were able to set up games there. The cabin, hot tub and grill were very clean. For some reason we could not figure out the dishwasher but we brought paper plates, plastic silverware and cups for our own convenience. I think this was operator error. The kitchen is stocked and even included a crockpot which you do not typically encounter. Lots of baking pans and fry pans. The fire pit area was a great place for all of us to hang out in the evenings and the fire kept away bugs. The driveway was a little steep and gravel slippery for one of the trucks but we learned a good parking system for an SUV, Truck w/ trailer and large passenger van - lots of space. Highly recommend for multi family, corporate retreats and large groups.