“Good food but Pricey!”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 105th & Memorial
Reviewed January 5, 2012

We went a few weeks ago for dinner with my 3 kids. We sat down quickly but didn't get a waiter for about 10 minutes. The guy that helped us even said he wasn't our waiter but would serve us. 3 of us ordered their fried chicken and mashed potatoes, very crispy and good. My youngest got a grilled ham and cheese and fries. Excellent! My husband got a Cajun fish dinner and he liked it as well. We ordered the fried green tomatoes for an appetizer. They had a lot of stuff on them. They were cooked perfectly, but would have preferred them plain. I'll order them that way next time. Overall the food was good, service dicey, and final bill was expensive. Won't go often but it was good.

1  Thank YumEFood

Reviewed October 31, 2011

Excellent shrimp & grits, cobb salad, catfish and chicken fried steak in an upscale dining environment. Wine prices are very good, with several great glasses priced at $6 or less. Good draft beer selection as well, plus a full bar. Check out the half-price appetizers at the bar Monday thru Friday from 3-7pm...an awesome value! Service is always fine, with our best experiences coming from the helpful bartenders when seated at or in the bar area.

Reviewed October 8, 2011

I tried Dukes because it was recommended by the front desk at the nearby Hampton Inn. I like to walk to dinner when I can, and this was maybe 100 yards. I went four times during the week, partly because it was pretty good and they had a lot of dishes that appealed (didn't get to try them all...wish I had time to try the chicken fried steak and the BBQ ribs. If I get back here I will defintely try them), and partly because after my first visit I checked out some reviews, and a number were fairly negative, particularly about the skillet fried chicken. I won't detail them but you can easily find them.

I went on a Sunday (2x), Tuesday and Thursday, so didn't see how weekend service and food quality were. It's the nature of my travel (for business). I found service on Sunday to be VG, as the owner was on site. The other times, I didn't notice any serious issues, though one of the managers seemed to spend a lot of time jawing. Note: I typically sit at the bar when I travel because I do get better service, there is usually a TV, and there is always the opportunity to meet people. I've met some interesting people.

But it is mostly about the food. Overall I give them a thumbs up, but I think they can be better.

1) The crab cake is good. There is a variety of flavors and textures. Like many crab cakes the breading to crab ratio is a little high.

2) The Etouffee was good, not great. It had a slight burnt taste to the roux, but was still tasty. What I was disappointed about the etouffee is that a) it didn't have crawfish, but can't fault the restaurant for that choice, and b) the menu said it was rock shrimp and andouille sausage. There was a good amount of VG spicy sausage, but the shrimp weren't rock shrimp. It would have been better if they were. Instead they used standard 30+ count shrimp. I am not happy when a menu says a certain ingredient and then another ingredient is used. At least they should inform me of the change, so I can make a decision. I also thought this dish would have been better if they let the rice stand alone as an ingredient. It was buried under the etoufee. I wish they had put a big scoop in the center and let me mix it as I choose.

3) Fried catfish is very nicely done. Serving size is good. The star of this dish for me is the "green tomato relish". I think this is a misnomer. These are good size peices of pickled green tomato. My only issue is I want more. I call it the star as I like hot sauce with my catfish, and this is such a wonderful balance to the heat. The corn pudding had great flavor, but I thought it would a bit drier.

4) After reading some rather negative online reviews of the skillet fried chicken, I think they are all wet. This is not KFC..it isn't skinny pieces slathered with breading, and the price is reasonable considering you get a real dinner, not plastic/paper plates in a fast food environment. Now, this is not the skillet chicken I am used to, as my experience is chicken with a flour dusting then fried. But I am not going to complain about battered fried chicken. This is a VG dish. I don't like chicken breast meat (I'm a wing and thigh lover), but this was very moist , and yes, I ate it all. I just wish they included a full wing. The green beans with the chicken were excellent. I am a carnivore but wish I had more green beans, they were that good. My negatives are that the chicken should have been drained more, as it was a bit oily and that there wasn't enough of the bourbon cream gravy on the potatoes. The mashed were good, nothing special and more gravy would have helped. I probably could have asked for more, but in the end I was satisfied. Consider asking for extra gravy upfront.

I had good experience in all 4 visits, though they did vary. Food was VG, just wish they could move it up a notch and be great.

PS: The bar staff are great on service, so if you are solo or even a duo, dine at the bar.

Reviewed September 5, 2011

It's a shame the service here is so awful. They have some good things to offer. The atmosphere is nice, the food is pretty good and the concept is unique for the area. But our server and the kitchen struggled with our table of 7 from start to finish. Whatever could go wrong, did go wrong. If you decide to eat here, do it when you have only a party of two. I recommend the fried chicken and the gumbo. Also the beer selection is good. Oh but skip the free bread. It's hard, dry and tasteless. Whatever you do, don't suggest this place if you have a large group. They'll never forgive you!

Reviewed August 4, 2011

The atmosphere was nice, however the value was disappointing. We had the Shrimp and Grits, which was way overpriced (4 small Shrimp and a cup of grits) all for $17.00.
We ordered the Fried Green Tomatoes as an appertiser, be careful you only get 3 very thin sliced tomatos for $7.00. That equals out to be around $14.00 for a single tomato..
We had to send the rolls back, they were very hard. The only item we recieved that was priced fairly was the kids meal...

1  Thank warrenfs