“I Shouldn't Have Waited 20 Years”

Murphy's Original Steak House
Ranked #4 of 109 Restaurants in Bartlesville
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Reviewed August 4, 2014

My wife and I, along with two of our grandchildren, stopped in for dinner at Murphy’s. We arrived right around 5 PM on a Saturday and were fortunate to beat the crowd that ended up waiting for dinner. Since I grew up in Bartlesville, I knew about Murphy’s. My mom used to work there when I was a kid. As a young adult, I used to stop there to eat the “hot hamburger” whenever I could. Even though I haven’t eaten here is 20 years, I knew what I wanted without looking at the menu. The one thing that has changed is that I cannot eat an entire “hot hamburger” in one sitting anymore. In fact, I left with more than half of it and it will be another entire meal. As always, the French fries are fresh and delicious.

My wife was hungry as we hiked all of the trails at Woolaroc, and she finished off the 13 oz rib eye and a large baked potato. She had high praise for the steak – that is saying a lot as steak is one of her favorite foods.

Regarding the hot hamburger, it is to Bartlesville what the cheesesteak is to Philadelphia. Also, there is no middle ground – you either really like it, or you do not like it. Fortunately for those of us that cannot eat an entire hot hamburger, a junior hot hamburger is offered. Still, though, the junior hot hamburger will fill up most everyone.

I look forward to eating the leftovers of my hot hamburger this evening for dinner! I look forward to returning to Murphy's sooner than a couple of decades for the next visit.

By the way, my picture does not do justice to the hot hamburger. The food was stacked almost 6" in height.

Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

I had to visit a diner before leaving the US and this was a great location.

A HOT food for me is spicy, not covered in gravy.
I had a Jr hot cheese burger, it was excellent.
Make sure you get there early, or you will be waiting.

Reviewed July 25, 2014

I'd been told about Murphy's before arriving in Bartlesville so knew what to expect and, more importantly, what to eat. The hot cheeseburger should be so wrong but it tastes so right! Essentially, it's an open cheeseburger with fries piled on top, and then smothered in brown gravy (if you're a Brit like me, this is what we know as proper gravy). Fantastic! The waitress was friendly and the service quick. Well worth a try purely for the experience.

Reviewed July 24, 2014

Don't ever leave Bartlesville without having a hot hamburger from Murphy's. On our way out of town each time, we order several, packed them in a cooler, then enjoy them somewhere on the road headed home to Colorado. They may not be quite as tasty as eating them in the restaurant, but it's better than not having one at all.

Reviewed July 22, 2014

We decided to go here knowing fully well what to expect...a simple diner atmosphere attended mostly by locals. That assessment was spot on. I was actually surprised by how many options they had on the menu though. We had to wait about 15-20 minutes to get a table here because the place was hoping at lunch time. We figured with as many people eating here and the sheer number of hot hamburgers being delivered to tables that that must be the thing to order.

Maybe they are an acquired taste or perhaps you must be a fan of grease but my thoughts of the "Hot Hamburger" is that they are one dimensional. No flavor what-so-ever except grease. The hamburger tasted the same as the fries piled on top of it and the brown gravy wasn't anything special, just brown greasy gravy that was applied in excess all over the top making the entire dish taste EXACTLY the same, bite after bite. I got through half of mine before I just called it quits and admitted my menu mistake.

I knew going in that the HHB choice didn't look the best, but I figured it was the local dish so you have to try it.

My suggestion is order a junior hot hamburger (much smaller in size) for your table so you can try it but if I were you I would order something else off the menu.

1  Thank Shycke