“I wish I could live there”
Review of Inn at Price Tower

Inn at Price Tower
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Bartlesville
Seattle, Washington
“I wish I could live there”
Reviewed February 3, 2007

Yes, the hotel is fascinating from a historical and architectural point of view---and shame on you if you don't take the tour that comes free with an overnight stay.

But what was pleasantly surprising were the rooms themselves. A wonderfult platform bed, amenities, heated bathroom floor---everything you'd expect in a hotel in a bigger city that costs double what I paid ($125 a night).

The restaurant is also big-city food---a bit overpriced but not outrageously so for the quality.

I'm not sure that I'd want to stay in Bartlesville for more than a night. Beyond the Price Tower and its museum, the city historical museum---located on the top floor of a city building---is terrific. and really gives you a sense of why Bartlesville. The public library is well done, the city park with the reproduction of the first oil rig pleasant----but beyond the Price Tower itself, there's virtually no retail downtown. Most of the businesses are on a strip a couple of miles away.

I drove to Bartlesville from Little Rock specifically to stay at Price Tower. It was worth the 6-hour trek.

A few minor quibbles: Arriving at Price Tower at night, it was hard to find where the main entrance was. I ended up in two different parking lots that weren't the main lot. Also---and this didn't bother me, but it might bother someone else---Mr. Wright's copper louvers make a thunder-like noise in the wind, and it does get windy, so if you're really noise sensitive, well, live with it, because the hotel is so special.

Stayed January 2007
3 Thank don666

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed December 18, 2006

My husband and I stayed here 12/16 for our 1st wedding anniversary. We had the romance package which included the champagne and chocolates in our room, as well as two entrees in the restaurant.

Our room was beautiful, with a view of downtown Bartlesville and the plains beyond. We had the standard room, as a friend who had worked at the hotel advised that the suites can be uncomfortable in cold (or hot) weather because they are almost all windows on 2 sides. The room was huge. The bed was very comfortable with great linens. The bathrooms are small, but keep in mind that this is a former office buiding that's been turned in to a hotel. We looked at the original plans for the hotel in the book in our room. It used to be an office, and the closet had been converted to the shower!

Our only complaints about the room was that there is no full length mirror and that the hot water in the shower didn't get hot enough.

The treats that came with our champage were yummy! We had strawberries, brownies, lemon bars and raspberry cheescake (two bite-sized pieces of each). I tried to convince my husband to save them for after dinner, but he insisted on eating them as soon as they were delivered - at least I got him to save the champagne!

We had dinner in the restaurant. We had the lobster tart appetizer - outstanding. My husband thought his filet was fabulous. I had the mixed seafood grill - it was good, but not fabulous, but the 3-cheese mashed potatoes were excellent! For dessert we had an apple tart. I thought it was just okay, but my husband loved it. The service was really good - although the waitress had my least favorite habit - asking "our we done with our plates," "would we like to order dessert?"

There was continental breakfast the next morning in the loft overlooking the bar. They had a wonderful selection of pastries, cereal, bagels, yogurt, etc.

This hotel is well worth the stay!

• Liked — Interesting architecture
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cft8
Tahlequah
Reviewed November 4, 2006

To actually be able to sleep in a building designed by the most famous architect in America is amazing. The rooms were comfortable and tastefully arranged. I agree that the bathrooms follow function over comfort-but that was one of Wright's tenents of architecture. We had a cozy night and a special lunch in the loft the next day. We are planning to have our wedding reception here in the next few months if that tells you how nice the hotel and restaurant are.

• Liked — Unique
  • Disliked — Dirty halls and stairs
  • Tips/Secrets — Do the tour
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JasonandJen
Mountain View, California
Reviewed October 30, 2006

Stayed here for 1 night.

I wouldn't recommend this place at all unless you like Frank Lloyd Wright and related styles. It's a wonder of 1940's architecture, but it's rough around the edges in terms of a luxury hotel. Then again, there are not many choices in Bartlesville.

My room was a suite - with 2 floors and a mini kitchen. Largely concrete construction, this place is highly unusual.

There is a museum in the lobby - I was very disappointed that I was not there at any time it was open.

It's a great place to stay if you're visiting Conoco Phillips, which is across the street.

• Stayed June 2006
1 Thank RichRichRich
Lafayette, Louisiana
Reviewed October 19, 2006

Okay, I'll admit it, I am a FLLW junkie, lol, but staying at this hotel is an INCREDIBLE experience....even for those who know nothing about him!
To try to describe how truly unique this building is would take far more than can be included in this review: rest assured that the design is very unique & beautiful, and the level of craftsmanship that went into it is something that is just not seen today.
I stayed in a suite for 2 nights, and enjoyed every minute. Heck, the ride in the elevators alone was worth it! (As with so many other aspects of the Tower, the elevators were custom made, and definitely one of a kind.)
Granted, the bathrooms are smaller than we are now used to, and the design & steepness of the stairs leading to the loft area have to be seen to be believed, but it is all to be expected (and exalted) as part of FLLW's genius. In fact, my only concern would have to be with the a/c situation: I can definitely see that the rooms would be on the 'toasty' side during warm months.
It should also be noted that the hotel staff was very friendly and helpful, and the rooms very clean and well attended. The Foundation that now owns the Tower has done an excellent job in restoring and maintaining it. I also recommend the bar/restaurant in the hotel, and if at all possible, take the tour of the building to get a true understanding of its importance.
While it might be understandable that not every one will be jetting off to Bartlesville soon, anyone who is in the vicinity (including the Tulsa area) would be remiss in not making this hotel part of your plans.
(I have some pics and will post them shorly)

• Liked — Being able to experiencing living in a Frank L. Wright building
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank fllw_fan
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 19, 2006

Simply the most stunning room I have ever stayed in. We signed up for a package that included a tour of the tower, dinner for two and champagne and chocolates in the room. Well worth the price. (You can’t get a room for two in a fleabag hotel in New York City for that.) This hotel is an absolute must stay for architecture buffs and fans of Frank Lloyd Wright. Those who dislike Wright or have little interest in architectural design will probably be put off by the low slanted ceilings and the tiny elevators and even smaller bathrooms. Indeed it’s Wright’s architecture and the Wright-inspired recently designed rooms that give this a hotel a 5. I would rate the service a 2 or 3. Hotel and restaurant staff failed to provide the kind of professional service one would expect at a boutique hotel in a major city. Both the restaurant and the breakfast room floors were dirty and the food was over-priced for service and quality. But where else would you go out to eat in Bartlesville? Despite the mediocre service we had a fantastic time and highly recommend making the trip to Bartlesville to experience Wright’s only skyscraper!

• Stayed June 2006
2 Thank raku
Tulsa, OK
Reviewed March 8, 2005

The hotel was interesting to look at but I would never stay there again. The price was ridiculus for what the hotel had to offer. The bathrooms felt like an old high school gym.
I wouldn't recomend staying there to anyone.

10 Thank Ok_bek