“SNOB HILL”
Review of Inn at Price Tower

Inn at Price Tower
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Bartlesville
Reviewed July 24, 2011

We spend one night here on our tour of the midwest. Right off the bat they wanted us to sign that we would pay if we stole the robe or their Wright book from the room. From here on out the tone was set with almost all encounters with staff. They acted like you were invading their space and they were tolerating you. There were two ladies that were very nice, one I think was the bookkeeper that opened up the gift shop for us and the other one was a nice young lady that fixed breakfast the next morning. The rest of them were rude. We took the tower tour and our guide was corrected by another staff member for giving us incorrect information about the tower. Our guide was visibly upset for the remainder of the one hour tour. She was terse with several of the members of our group including myself. Our room was beautiful but not really functional. Wright might have been great to lots of people. I also thought him great but when you see that he designed things his way, not caring about how they would affect the people that used them, you start to get disillusioned. The room was quiet and I did like that part. The bar is way too small and so are the elevators. If you are a fan of Wright you need to stay here; otherwise, I would avoid.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Inn at Price Tower

Reviewed July 2, 2011

We came upon this building by chance, on a journey from Arkansas to Colorado. My architect husband spotted it and exclaimed - Turn right here! I am happy we did. The Wright high rise is an excellent building. We splurged to stay the night there and did a long drive the next day, instead of breaking the trip in Salina. No regrets whatsoever. If you like interesting buildings with very high quality details, and some quirky features, this is for you! Bathrooms are as he designed them, and very compact. I can see there might be issues for big guys. We got the two-level suite, and borrowed the ethernet cable. Yes, desk clerks advise of charges if you decide to keep it or the book - I thought that was useful. The building tour was excellent. This building is worth a pilgrimage to Oklahoma, in my opinion. The hotel interiors were well done, in 1950 style - I was a kid then and it looked right to me. The two-level suite does have the quirky stairs with triangular steps, which require attention especially as you go down. I am glad they left them as they were built. This, unplanned, stop was a highlight of two weeks on the road. We'd surely make the same choice again.

Room Tip: Splurge on the suite - $100 more.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BinColorado
Reviewed October 29, 2010

I recently stayed at the Inn at Price Tower. I'm an architecture aficionado and was in Oklahoma City on business, so I extended my trip, rented a car, and drove to Bartlesville to spend the night at the Inn at Price Tower.
I arrived after 5:00 p.m. so I wasn't able to take the tour--and I think that was a big loss, since the Wright design is the Inn's big selling point. The desk clerk was pleasant enough but reminded me not to take the Wright book or the bathrobe from my room or my credit card would be charged. That didn't feel very welcoming to me.
My room was ok, except for a large tear in the curtains, but the bathroom is definitely vintage 1950s, and not shiny and scrubbed "oh isn't this cool" 1950s, either. The shower stall was designed for someone of Wright's size, not for someone who is 6 feet tall. If you have what internet dating sites call a "football player build" it will be an especially tight fit. The Wi-Fi didn't work, so I went back to the front desk to borrow an ethernet cable, since the one I had was too short, (the outlet was in the wall and not on the desk). The nice clerk made me sign it out and reminded me that my credit card would be charged if I didn't bring it back. Even with the cable, I could not get online.
I had a drink at the hotel bar, but walked downtown to a livelier place for dinner.
When I checked out the next morning, I mentioned to the clerk that I couldn't get online and she said they'd been having trouble with the internet. The building was interesting and quirky, but I think I would have had a better time had I just taken the tour and stayed elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank KhakiGuy
Reviewed October 8, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Price Tower for our anniversary, and we absolutely loved it. It is a beautiful, historic Frank Lloyd Wright office building ("The tree that escaped the forest") that has been converted to Museum and Inn, with a small bar at the top. They really did a fantastic job of preserving Wright's vision and aesthetics. All of the rooms are in the top few floors and have amazing views of the city and countryside. We really loved the experience.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank LindseyLu1219
Reviewed August 5, 2010

This has to be one of the most unique hotel experiences that we have had! So glad we decided to stay here. The rooms are decorated in a way that is modern but also like taking a step into the past. There is lots of privacy...like having your own apartment rather than a hotel. You are treated like a true guests with the greatest courtesy. The view is wonderful and the location is perfect. We are already planning our next trip. The tour of the building is very interesting too!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank EmmasMom12
Reviewed May 17, 2010

I arrived early Sunday evening and was in my room within minutes. I think there were only a couple of other rooms occupied, so the place was very quiet. There was no foodservice on Sunday evening and I had eaten before arriving, so no problems there. The room was as others have described: large, with nice linens, flat-screen TV and a bathroom with a heated floor and small shower. The front desk clerk suggested using a direct LAN connection and not the Wifi. My connection was fast and steady. In the middle of the night, it began raining, which meant the rain dripped from one copper louver to another creating some noise. In the morning, it was still dripping, which could be annoying to some. Breakfast was very basic and the only disappointment. For the price one pays, an upgraded breakfast would have been nice. Didn't get a chance to take the tour as it's not offered on Monday morning. A unique experience.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank Marblehead750
Reviewed October 21, 2009

I enjoyed our stay. The architecture is unique, and Mr Wright wasn't too concerned about convenience or practicality. So that's what you should expect if you stay here -- a very interesting, unusual room in a fascinating building. But it's not convenient (tiny elevators, unusual angles everywhere), and never was. There's nothing the hotel can do about that, and that's why it's unusual. If you don't think you'll like that, you won't enjoy staying here.

I found the staff to be quite nice and helpful.

The views are good -- for Bartlesville! There's simply not a lot to see. You're not going to find a better place to stay downtown.

There isn't a restaurant anymore, and like other reviewers said, breakfast is very basic and continental. There simply aren't enough rooms to keep a kitchen going. If you need more than a bagel and coffee/juice in the morning, ask the front desk where to go. We went to Weeze's, which is basic, cheap, and OK, and was only about 2 blocks away. For lunch or dinner, try Two Sisters cafe (ask for directions) -- great food and beer selection.

Definitely take the tour. It's only about an hour and gives a great overview of the building. I finally understand all the complaining from my mother about when she worked there -- interesting architecture, but just imagine a rush hour crowd trying to use the tiny elevators! And hauling furniture and equipment to and from the office!

I'd stay again. It's expensive, but that's what you have to expect when there's less than 20 rooms and you have to pay a staff.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple