“Won't be back”

Phil's Seafood
Ranked #45 of 112 Restaurants in Zanesville
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Reviewed April 4, 2013

My mother and I are HUGE seafood fans, traveling around to try seafood in many places, even different states, so wanted to try Phil's, as its not to far from home. Mistake! We started with a crawfish appetizer. I believe it was like $8.00 and I got 8 very small tails. REALLY? And they had no flavor at all. My fiance is from Louisiana, so I know crawfish done right. We both ordered oyster dinners, as the waitress told us they were pretty large size. When they arrived, we just looked at each other but thought, oh well...maybe they taste better than they look. I wish I had thought to take a pic for a review, but never crossed my mind at the time. The oysters were about the size of a quarter. They were so weak in flavor and when you bit into one, water just gushed out because they were frozen, not fresh. We didn't even finish them. So disappointed. My favorite part of the meal was my iced tea and small salad. So we both had oyster dinners, i had the crawfish, she had a bowl of soup, and we had 2 iced teas and spent over $60! Lesson learned. I'm guessing many of the people giving reviews, do not get out of the area much to experience true seafood done at its best, like in Louisiana, Maryland, Maine, etc. To be 100% honest, we'll stick to the oysters at Captain D's. Our waitress was friendly though and we went on a Wednesday evening around 5:30 and the place had 3 people in it, so no crowd to wait.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

On Friday January 18, 2013, I enjoyed a lovely dinner with a friend and had great service. We shared the crayfish appetizer, which I regard as great, its a must. She got the teriyaki scallops which she would order again. I got the chilean sea bass marsala special, the sauce was light and cramy and had the right amount of mushrooms, the bass was perfectly cooked. We shared the salted caramel cheesecake and all I have to say is wow! For being in the small town of Zanesville where seafood is not the focus Phils has it down pat. A side note, this is not much signage out front and when there busy parking is limited, however the service is very efficient, therefor waiting is minimal.

1  Thank RyanJPankiewicz
Reviewed December 22, 2012

I was really impressed by Phil's Seafood. The whole family - my 7-month-old son included - went to Phil's for my father-in-law's birthday. From it's reputation, I was expecting an ultra-classy atmosphere, however, it seemed more like a New England local pub, that just happened to have a 4-star chef! The food was delicious and our various-ages family was not bothering anyone. It seemed like they had regular customers and special-occasion folk. Everything we ordered (and we ordered a lot from appetizers, entrees, drinks, and desserts) was fantastic and there was lots of sharing 'round the table. They have a well-stocked bar and their waitresses are very capable. Prices are on the upper end of the spectrum, but we will return!

1  Thank jmsgirl
Reviewed October 22, 2012

This was truly one of the best meals I've ever had. Ordered the Walleye and Broiled Delight. And, what a delight it all was. Excellent! And, the homemade bleu cheese dressing is out of sight. Can't wait to go back again.

1  Thank Rachot7
Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

Great food. The ragin Cajun sauce is amazing. Had seafood delight and it was perfect. No reason to even eat anywhere else in Zanesville. The owner/manager entertained and told some great tales too!

3  Thank mattitude78