“Old fashioned ice cream parlor”

Tom's Ice Cream Bowl
Ranked #1 of 6 Dessert in Zanesville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Nashport, Ohio
“Old fashioned ice cream parlor”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Totally delicious homemade ice cream built in the old style ice cream parlor. They also sell delicious chocolates and homemade nuts.

Visited September 2012

Cumberland, Ohio
“NEVER AGAIN!!!!!”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I visited Tom's Ice Cream Bowl expecting all these great things people rave about here on Tripadvisor but the experience was absolutely terrible. The service was COMPLETELY horrid, it was near impossible to get a waitress to come to our table and when we weren't being ignored, we were given dirty looks by the staff. After waiting near an hour for our food, it was brought to our table not only at a luke-warm temperature but the dishes were also filthy. I was still willing to try the ice cream I have heard so much about but when my milkshake was brought out, lipstick stains covered my glass, when I tried to stop the waitress from pouring the milkshake into the glass she ignored me and then continued to walked away. After looking around, I noticed disgusting bugs by the bar counter. I would MUCH rather prefer The Banana Peel located in New Concord, Ohio, over Tom's Ice Cream Bowl ANY DAY. The atmosphere is much the same when it comes to old-fashion dining experiences that capture a town's history. If you're looking for an old-time feel GO TO THE BANANA PEEL! I will NEVER return to Tom's Ice Cream Bowl ever again, not even if somebody paid me!

• Visited June 2012
5 Thank Sydney H
Naples, Florida
“good ice cream, candy and nuts”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I've been there many times. We always stop when we're in the area to have a sundae and pickup peanuts and cashews.

Ambience is 1950s. It's almost exactly like it was when it was Jack Hemmer's I was a kid too many decades ago to mention. If you like a real 1950's soda fountain environment, this is it for you.

The ice cream is still served in the same style of bowls that they were when I was a kid. The servings are generous.

The candies are locally made and tasty. They have a decent selection - not as big as Wittich's Candy Shop in Circleville Ohio, but still good.

The redskin and blanched Virginia peanuts are cooked until they're crunchy. Planters and other packaged nuts are mushy by comparison, so I've been spoiled by the peanuts at Tom's.

Sometimes the cashews are cooked a bit too long and slightly burnt, but usually they're good. I advise checking the cashews for overcooking before buying them.

The soups are good, apparently made from scratch at the restaurant and not form Sysco, GFS or other restaurant service supplier.

The burgers are not great. I recommend a cold cut sandwich instead.

In summary, it's definitely worth a stop when you're in the area. It's a three minute trip from I-70 exit 153. Go north on Blue Ave, right on McIntire about 1/2 mile to the shop.

• Visited April 2012
CA
“Tom's Ice Cream Bowl a Zanesville Landmark”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

No nonsense good food with wonderful home made chocolates and ice cream. Service is very down home and extremely friendly. Waitresses will call you "Honey" etc without FEAR of being sued for sexual harassment!

The place is in the style of an "old diner" with an "old fashioned" Juke box - even though it now has cd's! Good clean atmosphere and food. I grew up in this area and visit this establishment every time I get back in the area. PS. Also, visit the candy counter to get items to go . You can pre order the cashews and other nuts to be "roasted without salt" if you call one day ahead.

• Visited August 2012
Nashport
“Tom's Ice Cream Bowl serves the generations!”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We go there several times a year and have for about 46 years! Homemade icecream and hand-dipped. The banana splits are our favorite and we get the "D" which is 3 dips of strawberry icecream with cherry syrup and covered with marshmellow cream.

Visited August 2012