For the price, I was not expecting luxury. But given that I had just stayed in a much nicer place for only $10 a night more in Pittsburgh, I was expecting better than what I found at the Best Western Meander Inn.
1) We just didn't feel terribly safe in this hotel. The front desk clerk encouraged us to park on the side of the building instead of the front. However, the side parking lot was very isolated the night we were there and bordered against woods. There was a person sitting in a parked car watching everyone come and go. Kind of creepy. The door to our room did not fit securely in the door frame. Even when the door was locked there was a lot of "wiggle room." Maybe we would have felt better about that if there hadn't been so many people walking by our room late at night.
2) The decor of the hallways and lobby was pretty nice. However, our room hasn't seen an update in decades - old and worn furniture, icky tile floor with stained grout. The website describes this as an " award winning hotel." Really? I have stayed in other Best Westerns which were much nicer. We've stayed at the Best Western in Gettysburg many times - very nice. The Best Western in Troutdale, OR was one of the most comfortable places we've ever stayed. Not this place though...
3) The bedding was awful. The bedding was old and worn-out. The fitted sheet was so thin I could see the mattress pad through it. The mattresses were thin, hard and low to the ground. The whole room smelled like insecticide. The furniture was worn and the 80s-style popcorn style ceiling was badly stained (perhaps from smoke?).
4) Breakfast was the typical fare, except that there was no hot food (unless one wants to make to a waffle) and no protein except milk and yogurt. The coffee was awful. The breakfast room was small but clean.
On the positive side, the public spaces inside the hotel were nicely furnished and the staff was very pleasant. However, the room was depressing, smelly, old and uncomfortable and we were glad to leave.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Youngstown hotels are known for their hospitality, but the Meander Inn goes above and beyond to make sure every stay is memorable. Close to area attractions, hotels in Youngstown are just a short drive from the best dining, sightseeing and shopping in the area. With a property that’s located just off the interstate and the best in customer service, our staff is committed to making your stay as comfortable as possible. Brand recognition is why many guests choose this property, knowing that spacious, clean rooms and affordable rates are guaranteed. The Hollywood Gaming & Mahoning Valley Race Course is a brand new attraction offering VLT's, Horse Races, entertainment and some fantastic dining experiences. It’s a must for travelers looking to liven things up on their vacation. However, the Butler Art Museum remains a staple attraction with new exhibitions featured regularly. Need recommendations on the best dining hot spots? Friendly staff members at our Youngstown hotel are happy to give you a local’s perspective. Renowned for local fare mixed with innovative dishes, Youngstown is a hub of eclectic dining options. Business travelers with General Motors-Lordstown and the Covelli Center frequent our Youngstown hotel and often require extended stays. Rates for long-term guests are competitive, and there’s plenty of space for corporate travelers to call us their home away from home. Free Wi-Fi and business amenities mean it’s simple to take care of business while still making time for leisure activities. Book your stay at the Meander Inn for business or pleasure! Enjoy your stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Best Western, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Meander Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Meander Hotel Youngstown
- Best Western Youngstown
- Youngstown Best Western
- Meander Inn Youngstown, Ohio