For the price, I was not expecting luxury. But given that I had just stayed in a much nicer place for only $10 a night more in Pittsburgh, I was expecting better than what I found at the Best Western Meander Inn.
1) We just didn't feel terribly safe in this hotel. The front desk clerk encouraged us to park on the side of the building instead of the front. However, the side parking lot was very isolated the night we were there and bordered against woods. There was a person sitting in a parked car watching everyone come and go. Kind of creepy. The door to our room did not fit securely in the door frame. Even when the door was locked there was a lot of "wiggle room." Maybe we would have felt better about that if there hadn't been so many people walking by our room late at night.
2) The decor of the hallways and lobby was pretty nice. However, our room hasn't seen an update in decades - old and worn furniture, icky tile floor with stained grout. The website describes this as an " award winning hotel." Really? I have stayed in other Best Westerns which were much nicer. We've stayed at the Best Western in Gettysburg many times - very nice. The Best Western in Troutdale, OR was one of the most comfortable places we've ever stayed. Not this place though...
3) The bedding was awful. The bedding was old and worn-out. The fitted sheet was so thin I could see the mattress pad through it. The mattresses were thin, hard and low to the ground. The whole room smelled like insecticide. The furniture was worn and the 80s-style popcorn style ceiling was badly stained (perhaps from smoke?).
4) Breakfast was the typical fare, except that there was no hot food (unless one wants to make to a waffle) and no protein except milk and yogurt. The coffee was awful. The breakfast room was small but clean.
On the positive side, the public spaces inside the hotel were nicely furnished and the staff was very pleasant. However, the room was depressing, smelly, old and uncomfortable and we were glad to leave.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Expedia, Odigeo and Hotwire so you can book your BEST WESTERN Meander Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Meander Hotel Youngstown
- Best Western Youngstown
- Youngstown Best Western
- BEST WESTERN Meander Inn Youngstown, Ohio