“Never Again” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 35 Hotels in Youngstown
Delaware, Ohio
“Never Again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

Stayed at this hotel a little over a month 1/2 ago. Was completely disappointed with my stay.
While the staff was very nice, the room was in horrible condition. Rust stains on the toilet and bathroom floor, carpets in the room and throughout the hotel covered in stains, as well as chairs in the room.
None of the windows on the second floor had screens on them, and at one point me and my friend were down in the pool and a little girl on the second floor was leaning out of her room waving at us. Completely unsafe!! That's a lawsuit waiting to happen.
At one point during the night I dropped something behind the TV stand and when I went to move it out to grab it, I was greeted by months worth of dust built up, not to mention the TV station guide that we had been looking for.
Lastly in the breakfast room there was a tip jar out... We were down there for a half hour and didn't see the breakfast person once, why in the world should I tip them??
When I complained to the hotel I was told that basically since I never said anything during my stay (I was told when I made the res that I got the last smoking room, so what would be the point of asking to move??) that besides an apology that there was nothing they could do. so basically I wasted 16,000 points on a hotel that IMHO isn't worth 1,000.
There are much nicer looking hotels in the immediate area of this one, and I highly suggest staying at one of them!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Stacey M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Chicago, IL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

We chose the Meander Inn because it allowed our small dog for a small fee. The place is clean, but run down, sheets and bedding seemed old and worn out, the room smelled like insecticide. The water tasted like what dirt smells like. The lobby had garbage cans overflowing and was messy. The breakfast room was stocked well, but was old and depressing. For the price paid it was ok if you don't mind the aging facilities and general run down feel of the place. The only upgrade in decades was the flat screen tv's and large selection of cable channels. We will not be staying there again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Harrisburg, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

We stayed here for one night the night before our daughter was to have a campus visit at Youngstown State University. We arrived around dinnertime after a long day of driving and were happy to see that there was a restaurant connected to the hotel so we wouldn't have to drive anywhere else for dinner. The dinner at the restaurant was satisfactory - nothing to write home about - but it suited our needs. When we got back to the hotel, I was disappointed to see that there were several hairs in the bathtub, which made me wonder about the cleanliness of the rest of the room. Luckily it all seemed okay, so we didn't ask to have our room switched. I must mention at this point that the bed was not comfortable. The matress was way too soft - I felt like I was sleeping on an air mattress that hadn't been inflated the whole way. The next morning we headed off to our daughter's college visit and I was a little disappoined to find that we were about 15 minutes away from the campus. When I made the reservation I was lead to believe that we were closer than that. So I guess that I have mixed feelings about this hotel. I probably wouldn't stay there again, but luckily I don't have to worry about that since my daughter decided not to apply to YSU after the campus visit.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Fort Wayne, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

Stayed in hotel in september ..very clean good rates.excellent in hotel restruant

• Stayed September 2011
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

Older property that has seen better days. Though clean, reeked of cigarettes from when smoking was probably allowed in every room. Staff personable, good breakfast for a BW. Can't beat its location if using it to break up an Interstate haul.

Room Tip: Reserve ahead as popular stopover for travelers, workers.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Fernandina Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

After driving a little longer than I should have we stopped at the meander inn around 1am am found a room, expensive, 100$, but it is the first stop off the turnpike. After getting in the room, I noticed a large clump of hair on the pilliow. I then pulled the sheets back only to find 5-6 more hairs of varying types, upon inspecting the second bed, even more. I phoned the desk to tell the methed out looking guy running the desk and he told me to come grab keys to another room and inspect it. Long story short, same thing, both beds, even worse. Im not being picky here there were at least a dozen long to short hair in each bed. I went back to the desk and he offered to personally take me to the next available room. When we got to the third room, bam same thing, numerous hairs in every bed. Aftter seeing this, he basically said take it or leave it and didnt seem to think it was a big deal. He told me to contact the manager in the morning and she could discount the room.At this time I was far too tired to keep driving and decided to just crash in our sleeping bags on top of the sheets. In the morning the manager said that the meth addict desk attendant from the night before said that I had 1 hair in my bed and that I should have left if I didnt like it, NO discount. As I left there were a few more people not happy with this unclean, unfriendly hole. Also its located a stones throw from a seedy strip joint. I contacted Best Western customer relations and basically got a half baked apology. No resolution. Basically, this place doesn't wash their sheets! Nasty nasty nasty.

Room Tip: Dont stay here.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SeabeePhil
Greenwood Lake, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

A girlfriend and I booked this hotel room for one night, on our way back to NY from a pet rescue in the Chicago area. We were lucky enough to reserve the last pet-friendly room. I have stayed at Best Westerns before because they are pet friendly. Our room was spotlessly clean, the beds were comfortable, and the continental breakfast was great. Although there were lots of dogs there that evening, we never heard barking. There is an outdoor pool which we did not get to use, but it was very clean and it looked very inviting. There is also a basketball court, volleyball court, and a large area to walk your dog. The hotel staff were fantastic. I would definitely stay here again if I were ever in the area.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends