“Biker Night next door on Thursdays ... VERY LOUD!”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Youngstown West
Ranked #21 of 36 Hotels in Youngstown
Reviewed August 11, 2011

The hotel itself seems well kept and our suite is clean and well maintained. Nice view of the sunset as well. Hot coffee in the lobby, available 24/7 is a nice perk. On the negative side, the water softener in the hotel is WAY over the top. Feels like you're washing your hand in a stream of liquid soap. Also ... the Quaker Steak and Lube next door hosts a biker night on Thursdays. I have nothing against people have fun, but if you're looking for someplace quiet ... forget it. Near constant revving noise from 6pm - 10pm (the time I'm writing this review).

Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
RebeccaBowser, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Youngstown West, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2011

Good Morning,

I wanted to personally apologize for your experience. On Thursday we have had an ongoing issue with the restaurant and biker night behind us. We are currently working on it. I also wanted to let you know that we have installed a new water softener system and are working on the callibrations to keep it correct. I hope you are willing to give us another chance and have the poosibility to show you how great we are. Please contact me if you would like to discuss this.

----------- P

Reviewed August 4, 2011

I've stayed numerous times at this hotel over the last 6 months while on business in Youngstown and was satisfied with the experience until recently.

It seems they have installed a new water softening system that really cranks up the salts in the water to the point that showering is a miserable experience. When I provided feedback to the desk manager I was told the new softer water supply requires less detergent for laundering sheets and towels and that was the way it was going to be. Management was factual and without attitude. I appreciated the candor.

I now stay at the Hampton Inn, next door, and pay $10/nite more to not have to take slimey showers.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 22, 2011

Everything has been fine here: clean room and the warm pool is wonderful. Only complaint is all the loud, outdoor karaoke and crowd noise coming from the Quaker Steak and Lube across the way. Not thinking that it's legal for them to make such a racket, I called the police, but it's still going on at 11 p.m. on Friday.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 14, 2011

Traveling with twin 21 month olds is never fun, but staying here made it sooo much easier. We got a room with a separate bedroom, which was perfect for putting the babies to bed so my husband and I were able to watch tv in the living room. Only hiccup in our stay was that on the first morning after our arrival. I realized there was no hot water. I called down and they immediately sent up maintainence. Although they were unable to fix it and we were force to change rooms they immediately knocked 30 dollars off our bill per night. The staff was exceptional, especially Kimonka. Our son had gotten sick and we needed to do a load of laundry but, the washer wasn't working right, so she took our quilt and several other things and washed and dried them for us.
Although the hotel tended to be on the loud side, due to the large amount of kids staying at the hotel. But when I called the front desk it was taken care of immediately. We were a bit reluctant to stay here because we had not hear of Country Inns before, but we will be staying here from now on when visiting the area.

• Stayed: July 2011
RebeccaBowser, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Youngstown West, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2011

Thank you for the positive feedback. I wanted to again apologize for any disturbance during your stay. We always want our guests to leave our hotel feeling great about their stay. We look forward to future visits from your family.

Reviewed July 4, 2011

Upon check-in front desk staff not very nice. Floor around base of toliet soiled with buildup and in various other areas of grout by tub. Mattress on sofabed worn down to point where u could literally feel springs poking you while laying on it. Mattress on king size bed old and flattened as well as cheap thin sheets. Towels in bathroom also thin a scratchy, not at all of hotel quality. Been in many hotels at various price points, this one was one of the worst. Will definitley not stay again.

• Stayed: July 2011

I wanted to personally apologize for your experience at our hotel. We never want any guest to leave and feel unsatisfied. If you would like to contact me we can discuss your stay and make sure you feel great about our hotel. I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed June 30, 2011

My husband and I booked this hotel through hotels.com. We arrived and the property itself is lovely as are the rooms; however, they are horribly understaffed. 65 rooms and one person to clean -- the hotel was filled to capacity. The garbage outside was constantly overflowing. The worst was the front desk manager, Bryan. Our room was not cleaned when we returned at 4:30 in the afternoon after leaving at 9:30 that morning. When we told Bryan that, he said there was nothing he could do about it. At the same time, two elderly women came to the front desk and said that their garbage had not been emptied. He actually told them to bring it to the front desk! The poor women were visibly shaken. We asked him what we were to do....he handed us towels, TP, tissues and 2 garbage bags and then told us to throw the garbage and the used towels in the hall. Nice look for a hotel don't you think? He never apologized to us once. We called the corporate office and Bryan's response to them was he would give us a $10 discount. WOW isn't that special? When we were checking out, I asked the person at the front desk for a receipt to be sure we received our discount and we were told we couldn't have a discount since we booked through hotels.com. Save yourself aggravation - do not stay here. Nice place but very understaffed and several employees need customer service training.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
RBowser, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Youngstown West, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2011

I apologize for your experience, we never want any guest to leave our hotel at less than satisfied. I know we have corresponded and again I want to apologize. Please contact me and we so we can resolve this, I want you to be pleased with a resolution and make the situation right.

Reviewed April 25, 2011

Very friendly staff, starting from front desk, room service, breakfast bar. Lovely, cozy room. Very clean with nice furniture, great bed, and great bathroom. Flat screen LG tv.in the room. Everything was perfect !

• Stayed: April 2011
RBowser, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Youngstown West, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2011

Thank you for such positive feedback and we appreciate each and every single guest that stays with us. We want every one to feel welcomed.. Again, thank you and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.