OH WOW! The Roger & Gloria Jones Children's Center for Science & Technology
Ranked #6 of 41 things to do in Youngstown
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: OH WOW!'s mission is to foster independent thinking and enrich the lives of all children by creating a welcoming environment where they can develop learning skills and knowledge through the exploration of HANDS-ON exhibits and educational programs which are rooted in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM).
Reviewed July 29, 2013

OH Wow is the top family destination in Youngstown. Great fun for kids of all ages. Staff is incredibly friendly and helpful, always willing to show kids and their parents how best to interact with the activities. They are always expanding with new opportunities. If you can arrange to go when they have a hosted event, your learning experience will be even better and more fun.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

My son and his wife and daughter were in town from Boston and we decided to take them there. We had heard much about it and it was a great visit. Their daughter is 3 1/2 and she had a blast. It's not real large inside, but there are many interesting stations which include music, weather, water, airplanes, video, architecture, etc. Most kids from 2-12 will enjoy it. It really helps if the parents or whoever chaperones gets involved. My daughter-in-law teaches kindergarten and she loved it. Convenient parking on the street behind it and you can check online to see if there are any field trips that are coming in. There were about 30-40 other children from a camp there along with regular visitors and it still was not too crowded.

Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

Was looking for something for my daughter and I to do on a chilly and dreary day. We decided to go to Oh Wow because we had heard it was nice and we had never been there. We both had a great time!! Although it is not super huge inside we spent over 2 hours there!! After we had seen everything there was, we started over!! When it was time to go I had a hard time getting my daughter to leave, she mentioned on the way out that she wanted a years membership for christmas!! I saw children as young as about 2yrs to grown adults all having fun!! So nice to have something like this in Youngstown!!

Reviewed July 24, 2013

My boyfriend (24) and I (20) went earlier today. He is studying chemistry at the nearby university and as a member of the local ACS he had volunteered here before for their annual Silly Science Sunday event, and this piqued my interest in visiting it. I went to Inventure Place, now the National Inventor's Hall of Fame, in third grade for a field trip and had been wanting to go back ever since. This museum had very similar activities to what Inventure Place had on their bottom floor at the time (eleven years ago, give or take a few months), so it brought back many happy memories for me. The exhibits only took us about an hour to get through, but they only took that long because we couldn't stop playing at one table at which you use jets of water and observe their effects on ball pit balls or an exhibit with vacuum tubes through which you could send either a ball pit ball or a mesh handkerchief-like cloth. Had we visited each exhibit and spent just enough time to get the gist of what it did we probably would have only taken about 30 minutes, but where would the fun have been in that? The exhibits I can recall include the aforementioned two plus:
* A water play table with accessories including pieces to make "dams";
* A storm simulator with a powerful fan and buttons to set what kind of "storm" to make, as well as their respective wind speeds;
* A laser guitar with a button on the wall to choose which "instrument" or sound effect to make it sound like;
* Fun house mirrors;
* A green screen for kids to pretend they are forecasting the weather;
* Gear and magnetic play walls;
* A musical apparatus similar to a xylophone, but with large plastic pipes to be struck with large, flat pieces of foam;
* A paper airplane folding station and launcher, complete with a target in front of it, in an elevated area alongside what appeared to be an airplane ride (similar to the quarter-operated rides sometimes seen outside stores);
* An echo tube;
* A wall with percussion instruments on it and a control board to program a rhythm;
* A shake table with blocks, to build something on and simulate an earthquake;
* An area with large, soft plastic blocks in various shapes to build an archway or tunnel;
* A video display whose speed can be controlled and reversed with a knob on the projector;
* A xylophone, glockenspiel and steel drum on the bottom floor, as well as a "building station" for simple woodwork;
* A geodesic dome encased in glass with "critters" made of pompoms, feathers and the like to look like bugs or birds; this exhibit was the coolest, so I don't want to give away just what it does!

All in all, Oh Wow! is an awesome little museum for people of all ages who just want to go do something fun for maybe an hour. I'd recommend it in an instant.

2  Thank HannahJ834
Reviewed July 16, 2013

This is a great place to get anyone especially your kids into STEM. If you look at the brochure, you're sure to want to go. It's full of great activities for everyone. You have to do the hurricane wind simulator.

Travelers who viewed OH WOW! The Roger & Gloria Jones Children's Center for Science & Technology also viewed

Been to OH WOW! The Roger & Gloria Jones Children's Center for Science & Technology? Share your experiences!