“5 star historic atmosphere, but forgettable entrees!”

Ye Olde Trail Tavern
Cuisines: American
Description: Located in Yellow Springs, Ohio's oldest tavern, since 1827. Enjoy craft draft and bottled beer, wine and a large menu with a German American feel.
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful historic ambiance inside and lovely patio dining!

Two out of four entrees at our table were incorrect, the only attempt to compensate us was replacing the food and a sincere apology. Cheese balls and caramel cream soda were fantastic, but entrees were forgettable.

Summary: Come relax on the patio with drinks and appetizers, but the entrees are forgettable. A lot of untapped potential re: improving the menu!

Reviewed July 18, 2013

I've been visiting YS for about 2 decades now as I have family and several great friends living there. I've seen lots of business & restaurants change hands/themes/names and come and go... The Tavern is a mainstay and is housed in an historic building which originally was a log cabin for an early settler's family. It's now a sprawling complex of varied indoor & outdoor dining areas, among which include out of doors patio/deck seating which overlooks King's Yard and a combination of tiny corner booths and long family sized tables in the cabin. A few seats are available around the bar. The bad thing here is the bar seating adjoins the walkway to the rear dining room (cabin) and restrooms, and kitchen and server expediting area. Best seating option is the outdoor deck/patio on the King's Yard side towards the rear. I actually love this property. It feels "tavern-y" and offers al fresco dining at the same time... the problem is the food and service. This is a big deal for a restaurant in my humble opinion. I have had exactly ONE tasty item out of all the times I've visited here and it was the Pesto grilled cheese sandwich. The pizzas have bland toppings, the burgers are tasteless & I've never received a hot one; appetizers take entirely too long and they always seem to be short staffed because "somebody called off." Which brings me to the most recent visit (you may be asking at this point why I've visited more than once but, like I said, the deck is very nice): After being informed there'd be a long wait for an outside table, we were shuttled to the tiniest table in the dampest corner of the cabin dining room. It took 10 minutes for the server to come, 10 more minutes to receive our drinks. 25 minutes more for our appetizer (uh, gross and soggy "tie-dye" fries), and after a total of 1 hour we were finally served our jr pizza and grilled cheese sandwich; along with a ton of excuses. The server had a pissy demeanor and barely checked on us. Not to mention we watched at least 3 outside tables eat and leave through the teeny & cobweb filled rear cabin window! I understand being short staffed but we were extremely disappointed at the server's rudeness. It was a beautiful day, perfectly made for hanging out and enjoying some down time, and here we were being treated rudely and shoved in a dark dank corner! Then, the jukebox stole my son's money!
Bottom line: Poorly presented, mediocre food; rude and disinterested server, dirty table area, slow service. What wasted potential- but it seems they'll never suffer for it because they've simply been there for such a long time. What a shame. Unless, I'm drinking on the deck; I am NOT going to be convinced to go back.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

I was in Yellow Springs and chose this restaurant because a friend raved about it. I'm not sure why he did! The restaurant rides on the reputation of being a more historical place in town, but the food is really average and cheap. I got the black bean burger- it wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great either. They charge you for every condiment you want on it and just give you a bag of chips to go with it. Pretty boring, considering the hype it's been given.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

The food is horrible. The service wasn't any better. I grew up around Yellow Springs and can't seem to figure out what the attraction is. If you go, go for the Glen. Don't be a yuppie, you wouldn't know the first thing to being a Springer.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

We like to go here and order fried cheese balls- drink Oktoberfest - and listen to Mack the Knife. My husband and I have been going here for years. The rest of their food is not that awesome but what we normally have is great!