“Unexpected Delight!”
Review of Ugly Duck

Ugly Duck
Ranked #23 of 110 Restaurants in Wooster
Reviewed January 20, 2013

My husband and I, along with 2 friends, had our first experience eating at the Ugly Duck, after it being highly recommended by my hairdresser. I hadn't even heard of it, but with her glowing review, I knew it was worth a try. Upon entry, I would have never guessed that culinary delights would be awaiting our palates! I was told by my hairdresser that the fettucine with chicken was a delicious, and it had a surprise "kick" to it. One of our friends ordered it, and he raved that it was the best he'd ever tasted. The other friend had a wonderful homemade ravioli, and my lasagna was abundantly filled with a slightly spicy sausage. My husband loved his white pizza with chicken and spinach. Everything was obviously all homemade, including the bread. Whoever is doing the cooking, kudos for knowing how to please the patrons. The portions were quite large, and there was a choice of soup or salad with the dinners. One friend chose the Aztec Harvest Soup, (I took a taste....yum!), and two of us had salads....nicely presented, and truly, enough to share.

The owner, Dan, introduced himself, was very cordial, and we assured him we'd be back....with more friends. This is a well-kept secret that shouldn't be a secret at all. I think there's a perception that it's more for the "hang out at the bar and play pool" crowd, but the culinary expertise of the kitchen speaks to those of us who like a well-prepared meal, possibly with a nice glass of wine, rather than a six-pack. Dan is working on a nice selection of wines to offer. We were there at 6 pm, and I think the pool and beer crowd comes in later, so don't let that scare you off from having a great meal. If you'd like to sit at the bar, note that the bar area is very nicely done.

4  Thank internationalmama