Black Squirrel Inn
$173
$149
GardenInn.com
Rodeway Inn Wooster(Wooster)(Great Value!)
$78
$73
RodewayInn
Days Inn Wooster(Wooster)(Great Value!)
$61
Travelocity
Royal Star Inn(Orrville)
$75
$115
All reviewsother guestssconesbed and breakfastcollege of woosterjacuzzi tubyogurt fruitquiet streethome away from homeegg disheseach morningenjoyed a delicious breakfastfront porchthe ohio light operawithin easy walking distanceeach guestvictorian houserooms are comfortable
Reviewed August 6, 2008

The Black Squirrel is a lovely, elegant Victorian home on quiet, shady street in charming Wooster, Ohio. We stayed there while we spend a delightful day and night exploring Wooster, eating dinner at a fabulous restaurant downtown and attending the Wooster Light Opera. Charm and hospitality and a great breakfast. Fong Wong is the perfect hostess, and a terrific chef! We wish we could have stayed longer, and we'll be back!!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kyfilly
Reviewed December 6, 2007

If you’re looking for a homey, relaxed, quiet, friendly place to stay in Wooster, OH I can heartily recommend the Black Squirrel Inn. I was privileged to discover it and stay there during late October 2007.

The inn is housed in a two-story Victorian in a residential neighborhood just a scant three blocks from The College of Wooster. The location is quiet and serene though the flip side is that it is not within easy walking distance from any retail or food services apart from limited college fare. The front and back gardens are meticulously tended. The Black Squirrel Inn has been completely renovated – the entire house is beautifully furnished including period furniture and antiques Each of the five or six bedrooms has its own bathroom.

My room was one of two on the first floor and may be the smallest. All the same it was quite comfortable with a double or queen bed (not sure, I was traveling alone), a telephone and a small television. There was no clock or radio. The bathroom had a tub shower. I was one of just two guests that night so the house was blissfully quiet.

The owner does not live on the premises but is frequently present during the day. She has an extensive background in restaurants, both in the kitchen and in the front of house. Thus breakfast (included in price of the room) was a delight. It was served to us in the formal dining room with a beautifully set table. One minor inconvenience is that there was a set time for breakfast, a concession to the owner’s responsibility as a mother to her young children.

I got the impression that coffee and tea are always available to guests.

The owner is friendly, helpful and accommodating (breakfast timing aside). I arrived the day before the college’s busy Family Weekend. Though I was able to stay at the inn for the first night the inn was booked for the other two nights. She helped me find alternate accommodations at another location and accompanied me up to the other location, narrating a tour of Wooster along the way. She also gave me free rein to use the Black Squirrel as my base of operations for the balance of my stay. This was very helpful because the inn, besides being close to the college, where I needed to be, is one of the few places I found in town with free wireless Internet access. She also gave me tips on sightseeing and gave me reliable suggestions on restaurants.

The Black Squirrel Inn is quite a find at a reasonable price. I intend to be back time and time again during visits to my college student.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank goodfoodcook
Reviewed October 23, 2007

I went to Wooster to visit my daughter at the College of Wooster. She had arranged for me to sleep at the Black Squirrel Inn because it was close to the campus and far enough away from the residences that I would be sure not to hear the students partying. Well that was not a problem since they were on Fall break, but the Inn was just a short walking distance from her residence and from the Ohio Light Opera Company which I passed on my way down and it was really quiet because I thought I had it all to myself on this weekday and to my surprise I found the next day at breakfast that I was sharing it with a nice couple.

I liked my room that was nicely furnished and was happy to have a bathroom all to myself. I found out the next day that I would have had this amenity in any room that would have been assigned to me because they all have one.

I found Fong and her business partner Richard very welcoming and I liked the no-fuss checking in procedure that was arranged through my daughter. I do strongly recommend a stay at the Black Squirrel Inn in Wooster and a give an A+ to my daughter for having made those arrangements.

1  Thank caroy47
Reviewed October 12, 2007

My stay at the Black Squirrel Inn was delightful. The hosts were incredibly gracious and helpful. The home itself is tastefully appointed, and the breakfast was delicious. The morning I was there was great--the food was fantastic and the other guests and I hit it off. One of the Inn's owners was helpful in breaking the ice, and that was very nice. I particularly enjoyed how close the Black Squirrel Inn was to the College of Wooster's campus and will be staying there whenever I return to my alma mater--assuming they have room for me!

Stayed: September 2007
Reviewed August 23, 2007

The Black Squirrel provided a perfect setting for a personal two-day writing retreat, offering a quiet guest suite -- with well-cushioned bed, comfortable seating, a deep tub, and a lovely writing desk that I wanted to take home with me! --as well as a delicious breakfast featuring fresh local foods. Though I sometimes find Victorians on the fussy side, this B&B comforts instead of overwhelms, and I felt completely at ease. The shaded porch offers views of the lush gardens (including wisteria draping over a new arbor) and a cozy place to enjoy afternoon tea or curl up with a good book (or my laptop; the inn has wireless access). The owner has a warm, friendly spirit and knows a good deal about the area, so conversation is always a treat. I'm also thrilled that she is trying to run an environmentally friendly business!

In short, it had all the comforts... and none of the stress!... of home, along with a little extra pampering. I will definitely return here for my next retreat... which, I hope, will be soon!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled solo