“Clean and well located - but old, tired, and over-priced.”

Best Western Wooster Hotel
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Wooster
Reviewed June 4, 2012

This hotel was built when we attended the College of Wooster in the 1970's - and it looks like it in many ways. The lobby looks just the same, as does the breakfast area, which used to be the dining room. The lounge has not been updated, either. Public areas were mixed - the frame around the elevator was quite banged up on the third floor and the elevator itself is PAINFULLY SLOW!

The rooms are small, although our king-size room on the third floor had relatively updated decor and a flat-screen TV. I was disappointed that there was no refrigerator or microwave. The bed was comfortable, as was the recliner. We were able to easily regulate the temperature.

Our check in experience was mostly positive and friendly, but I was not welcomed as a Best Western Platinum Rewards member, did not receive a welcome snack or beverage, and was not offered an upgraded room - even though the property did not seem to be full. I sure hope I get the 250 bonus points mentioned on the BW website since I was not offered a welcome snack/beverage.

The "deluxe" breakfast was just so-so. The pre-formed "omelets" were a bit dry. The only fruit selection was apples - very small ones. And, I wish there had been larger coffee cups.

Check out was difficult - we were using a Best Western gift card and the clerk had NO IDEA how to accept it. She contacted a manager by phone, who suggested that I leave behind a card with nearly $400 on it and they'd mail it back to me once they figured out how to run the transaction. NOT!

Finally, I cannot fathom how this property can justify charging a AAA rate of $115+ for a weekend stay on a weekend when no College of Wooster events were scheduled. I pay far less for king sized rooms at most Best Westerns, unless they are in MAJOR tourist areas or very large cities. Yes, this property is located close to downtown and college attractions, but I don't believe the cost is worth the value received. We selected Best Western to collect rewards points and "finish off" the spring gift card promotion, but I will consider another property when we visit again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Best Western Wooster Hotel

Reviewed May 26, 2012

We stayed one night and 1 and 1/2 days. The hotel is located in Liberty street where several good and fun restaurants are located and also dome artsy stores. The service was friendly, but minimal. Hotel needs a major facelift ing. The towels looked gray, not white, and no service to the room at all, not even to bring you a towel that we were missing. The walls by the elevator and hallways looked dirty. Buffet breakfast was available free of choice, but juice was watery and in comparison with other motels we have stopped by in other places, this service scores a lot lower in our minds. We do not recommend this hotel.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 18, 2012

Our daughter made the arrangements for our stay with hers, so we could see our granddaughter who attends Wooster College, and was in a concert. The beds were comfortable, and everything was clean & the room looked comfortable to stay. The breakfast was continental, with a waffle iron, so you could make your own. A nice touch. Our daughter stays here with her husband when they come to see their daughter. People at the desk were friendly. We would stay here again!!!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 11, 2012

Had to make a business trip into Ohio the last week of March. We booked this hotel for several of our people sight unseen and had no regrets. It is still in process of being updated, however, the beds were very confortable and the facilities were good. The staff, Steve in particular, were so very helpful in giving directions, recommending good eating places, etc. The location is ideal for the business traveler as there are any number of good restaurants within either walking distance or short drives. They have a work-out facility and a reasonably good hot breakfast available. We also used one of their conference rooms and the staff kept us well supplied with the requested coffee and water. Friendly overall. Would definitely stay there again. Quaint area right in the heart of Amish coountry.

Room Tip: Spa rooms are available.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Ushie_40
Teresa W, Manager at Best Western Wooster Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2017

We are so pleased to hear that you and your team enjoyed your stay. Steven is the owner of the hotel and is a hands on owner which is hard to find, so glad he was able to assist you with the information that you needed.
It is also great to hear that you used the work out facility, our work out facility is much larger than the average hotel, plenty of room to work out and get your day started off right.
You are correct in stating the location is ideal for the business traveler and with our 5 conference rooms, we can assist most groups with any business training needs.
We love to hear that you would definitely stay with us again and look forward to your next visit. Thank you again for the review and have a very blessed day.
Teresa Bright, Revenue Manager

Reviewed May 31, 2011

I must have stayed at a different best western than the previous "best hotel ever" reviewer, because my experience couldn't have been more dissimilar. From the missing panel with exposed glue in the lobby, the rippling carpet in the hallways and the super stinky perfume they apparently sprayed everywhere - to hide god only knows what - to the inedible "deluxe continental breakfast," this place is decidedly sub par. Incidentally, I wasn't the only one who tried unsuccessfully to eat the breakfast in the dark wood-paneled breakfast room that was sorely in need of rescuing from its early 70's aesthetic. An entire table of teenage girls was practically gagging with each bit. The nearly flattened "employee of the month parking only" sign in front said it all. I pictured some disgruntled employee's hasty exit.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed April 14, 2011

This is the best hotel I have ever stayed in. Just stopped in to get away from life for a while and was well worth the money. The lobby has comfortable seating as well as stone walls, brick flooring, and nice decore on the windows. The receptionist is extremely nice, and the rooms are very spacious. There were resteraunts all over the area from nearby Beall Avenue through the square which is only a ten minute walk from the hotel.

Also the bar located on location was a great touch with a nice and knowledgeable bartender. They had a nice assortment of beers and other beverages.

The Room I stayed in was 320 and was a King, non-smoking. The new desk chairs and linens were comfortable, as well as the new Serta matress and recliner. The beds came with three layers of sheets to make sure you stayed warm and the micro-fridge cooled quickly for beverages. Also the view of the lights in the city from my room were very peaceful.

The Air Conditioners were a little tricky to get the correct setting but once you got it the room became very comfortable temperature wise for the rest of the stay. The bathroom was excellent, clean, plenty of towels, and the shower curtain/sprayer were top notch for a very relaxing experience.

In the morning I went to have my free breakfast. The muffins were very well prepared, they had several types of jelly's for toast, waffles, oatmeal, and a few varieties of cereals as well as juices/milk/coffee.

Back in my room I found the hot tea wonderful and the view to be spectacular for a sunrise. The lamps which looked new gave off plenty of light and added several outlets to plug in your phone/computer.

Overall this was the best experience I have ever had at a hotel and from the looks of things while I was there they were in the middle of upgrading. Will be staying again in the future without a doubt.

Room Tip: Ask for a King in the 320 Hallway, close to 320.
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed July 6, 2010

This hotel could use some renovations: the TV, bathroom, and heating/ac unit are out-of-date. However, the room (I stayed in one with 2 double beds) is surprisingly spacious, clean, and everything was in working order. I felt comfortable here, despite the beds not being super comfortable. The elevator is small and slow, but at least they have a working elevator. The hotel is in a prime location - walking distance to all the cute downtown shops and restaurants that Wooster offers. The hotel's location allows you to experience this charming little town.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business