“Great Place to stay”

The Inn at Amish Door
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wilmot
Reviewed October 5, 2011

After reading some of the reviews before I write this one, I am appalled at what certain people have said about the Inn and its employees. My husband and I visit the Inn at least 3 or 4 times a year, for the last 5 or 6 years. We love it there. The front desk clerks have always been very friendly and helpful to us. The rooms are divine. We've had no problems with any of the things that have been mentioned in some of these reviews. They even helped us find another place to stay, when there wasn't any more rooms there. People should realize that in the Amish Country, there would be nothing open on Sundays, as that is their day for rest, and as you must know, they are all hard working people. The breakfast on Sundays at the Inn, is wonderful and they provide this nice breakfast for their guests, free of charge, because their restaurant is closed on Sundays. What more could you ask for? This place is very relaxing and in the winter, is so inviting to sit by the fireplace for a chat or just relax, or maybe even take a nap. I think that you complainers are just nit picking just to receive a discount or not have to pay for your visit. But everyone has the right to their own opinion, and my husband and I love this place and haven't found anything wrong with it. Oh, and we are not related to anyone who works here, either. Thanks for listening to my opinions and may God bless your next trip to the Amish Door Inn, in Wilmot. By the way, we are staying there in October. again.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank olivejoanmiller

Reviewed August 2, 2011

Just finished a four nite stay at this hotel. I would easily give it a for star rating. The one thing that makes it a four star is the beds. They are a little to firm for my taste but if you like a hard mattress then it wouldn't be a problem for you. The employees are helpfull and friendly. I had a room with a king size bed and couch with a pull out mattress Also the room is huge. Also of you are a cheese lover this area is for you as there are quite a few cheese factories in the area. Also the continital breakfast is better on sundays than through out the week. The week day breakfast is pretty standard but pretty good nontheless. They do have a resturant on the grounds but it is closed on sundays. I would for sure stay here again if I needed a hotel in this area.

• Stayed: August 2011
5  Thank Martyhoyt
Robin C, Manager at The Inn at Amish Door, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2011

We appreciate the review of your stay! I wanted to let you know that we have just replaced the mattresses at th Inn with custom ordered pillowtop mattresses from a local well known amish bedding company.And I am sorry for your experience came just before this update.We hope you have the chance to stay with us again.

Reviewed July 15, 2011

Stayed here on an over night getaway. The homemade cookies and the popcorn were nice perks in the lobby area. Our room was clean and we did have a king size bed however you could only gain access to it from one side as the opposite side was up againest the wall. The hotel was nicely appointed, and the pool area was nicely maintained. As with several other of the larger hotels in this area my major complaint is the breakfast that is included in the room package. Their management team needs to visit a Hampton or a Holiday Inn Express as both have a far better breakfast. The Amish Door breakfast included sliced up donuts, warm canned fruit cocktail, and one waffel maker. There is no excuse for this, but as I said the other larger hotels in the Sugar Creek-Walnut Creek area have the same lame breakfast. For what they charge for a nights stay breakfast should be included at their on site restaurants!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Steelcityguy

We appreciate your feedback and apologize that your stay was less than satisfactory. We have made several upgrades to the Inn recently,including replacing any outdated mattresses and bringing on a new management , and we will make sure to evaluate our breakfast offerings in the near future.If you have any specific recommendations for breakfast items that you would like to see on our continetal breakfast ,please feel free to contact me directly.

Reviewed March 28, 2011

We've been there twice now.
Loved the pool and hot tub. The pool area was easy 80 degrees and the pool is a good size for kids to play in.
The room came with a fridge, double queens and the front desk has a great selection of board games to borrow.
The breakfast, included with our stay, had a nice selection to choose from.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Sherri4Akron

Thanks for your review! We're glad you enjoyed your stay here and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed March 24, 2011

We arrived at the hotel on Sunday, March 20, 2010. It took us longer than expected to arrive, due to several roads being closed because of flooding. At check in, we were given the room key to 206. We carried our luggage up the steps and opened the door to find: a standard room that had not been cleaned and the covers were tossed in the middle of the bed. This was an issue, not only because the room was dirty, but because we booked the honeymoon suite. We walked back downstairs (with our luggage in tow) and explained to the girl this couldn't be the correct room. She laughed and said "Oh, those must be the keys for the room that wasn't cleaned. There are so many keys, I'm mixing them up." Okay, not a big deal, but the hotel was NOT busy so the mix up should not have happened. She then says "Oh, okay you did book the honeymoon suite here are your room keys. You have to use the elevator to get there." On our own we found the elevator since she didn't even bother to tell us where it was located.

The hotel itself is very nice. When we opened the door to our room we were pleasantly surprised. The decor is very nice. There were a few minor problems with the room. Nothing worth complaining about to management. The floor was stained in front of the mini fridge, the mini fridge has hand prints all over it, there were deg bugs in the picture window area, there were dark orange stains on the comforter (blood?), the walls had cracks and the wall next to the jacuzzi was cracked. The only thing management could have done was given us another blanket. We figured we weren't covering up with it, so it would be okay. When the fireplace wasn't on it still produced heat. The cover had a permanent "fog". We used the bathrobes Sunday night and even left one on the edge of the sofa. The next day we came back after house keeping came and found them in the exact same location. Do they not get washed like other linens? It would have been nice for us to be warned ahead of time that EVERYTHING in the general area is closed on Sunday. This includes all restaurants. We found one pizza place that was about 10 minutes away to order from. They did not have delivery so we had to go pick it up. Other than that, the closest place was nearly a 30 minute drive. The girl at the front desk (Kierstan) said she tries to tell people when they call in that everything is closed, so plan ahead. (We had no idea)

A huge complaint I have? On the desk inside our room, there was a little brochure type sign that said they offer a massage for two, chocolates, dinner (in your room) and grape juice. It said call to make your reservation now. We were on this trip for my birthday, so it sounded great. We called the number and it was actually the number for the hotel itself. It didn't make any sense why it didn't just say call the front desk, since you're clearly already a guest. When I asked Kierstan about the package she said we can't get it. She said you have to book it a week in advance.... how is that possible when the first time you hear about it is when you're already staying there? The package also includes your room rate so you can't just get the massage package that is advertised. She was less than helpful.

Later on, we decided to venture out and I stopped by the front desk and once again spoke to Kierstan. I asked if we could just get a massage through the company they use for the packages. She told me no, they only use the massage company for those packages and she's only met the person once. I asked if there are any other places in the are to get a massage and she said she didn't know and that the companies around there don't advertise so I couldn't find it online or anything like that. Needless to say, we did not get a massage. On top of everything being closed & not being able to get a massage our Sunday was pretty ruined. We had planned on going to the local Amish shops that day.

The following day, we had planned on going to the Akron Zoo. Since we didn't get to explore any of the Amish shops we had to cancel our trip to the zoo and explore Monday instead. We drove over to a farm that advertised animals and even a few exotic animals. The brochure said they were closed Sunday. We drove there and surprise! it was closed. The guest check in was pitch black. We waited and nobody ever came down to greet us, so we left. We did stop at Coblentz Chocolates on the way back to our hotel, which was nice. We had lunch at the Amish Door Restaurant. I got the cheeseburger special with fries and coleslaw. My husband got the grilled cheese and soup. For dinner I got the mashed potatoes with noodles and he got the sampler platter. With the exception of the coleslaw (it has green peppers and vinegar...gross) the food was nice.

Monday was the only day we really had to venture. (We were leaving Tuesday) so we missed out on some things we wanted to do. We purchased a few bottles of wine to bring home from the wine shop across the road. The lady that works there was nice. The breakfast was typical with the exception of the donuts (made at the Amish bakery). Sunday, in the lobby, there was popcorn and cookies available to guests. Monday, they were not there. Maybe it's available on the weekends only?

Overall, the hotel is nice. Our room was nice, with the exception of the few things I listed above. It was very quiet and the locals were nice. The advertisements for massage packages need to be removed from the rooms since you can NOT book them once you're at the hotel. Whether you book online or by phone you need to be informed that EVERYTHING is closed on Sunday, so you can plan accordingly. The massage package needs to be offered online since the employees never mention it to you.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank fusionchick

Thank you very much for your thorough review! We have made many improvements lately,including a new management team, so i hope our front desk staff can be of more help during your next stay.
Unfortunately we do not have a massage person on staff & sometimes we can call and get a same day appointment set-up.
Yes,unfortunately many venues in Amish Country are closed on Sundays. We do have a hiking trail for our guests,which is a nice Sunday activity weather permitting.
If I can do anything to make your next stay at the Inn at Amish Door better, please don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed January 25, 2011

The Inn at Amish Door is generally a nice place to stay. My wife and I have stayed there several times. On this trip, however, our bed had a sinkhole in the middle of it and the pocket door between the bathroom and bedroom was off the track. I told the front desk clerk on checkout and she said maintenance would check it out. That may help out the next person which is great if it happens but it did nothing for me, the guest that lost sleep. I just felt that the customer service skills of this lady were lacking greatly. I've been involved in customer service myself for 24 years and this is a sad state of affairs in which we find ourselves today. If you get the continental breakfast, you will meet the best employee at the inn. She is wonderful as is the food. I would go back again and hope this was just a fluke and not the begginning of a trend.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank lightningdad

We are looking forward to seeing you!
Robin Cherilla Inn Manager

Reviewed January 19, 2011

We recently stayed at the Inn at Amish Door - and would not repeat the experience for all the tea in China.
The occupants in the room directly above ours consisted of a herd of break dancing elephants, or someone's children jumping off the beds at all hours of the night.
But even if the noise level had been minimal, the beds themselves were atrocious. The mattresses on the beds in our room were clearly worn out and in need of replacement. The springs in the mattresses were pushing through to the top and made even a decent night's sleep impossible.
I discussed the situation with the front desk at checkout time and received no satisfaction.
A later email to the manager went unanswered.
There are many fine hotels in Berlin, Ohio - only a 10 minute drive away. I would recommend any of them instead.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank mandersdad

We here at The Inn at Amish Door are so pleased to announce that we have installed our new custom made pillowtop mattresses. These were made special order from a local well known amish bedding company.We are so pleased with their craftsmanship that we know you will be happy with it too! Don't forget to check the Amish Door Restaurant & Bakery while you are here.They have gotten a new facelift.The interior has so many new colors & beautiful decorations it will be pleasing to your eyes!!
We are looking forward to seeing you!
Robin Cherilla Inn Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wilmot
Berlin Resort
Comfort Suites Berlin Hotel & Conference Center
Zinck's Inn
Zinck's Inn
#3 of 5 in Berlin

Been to The Inn at Amish Door? Share your experiences!