WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Willoughby
San Antonio, TX
“Clean and Comfortable”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

I stayed here one night for business. It was located close to my business meeting the following day. The hotel was clean and comfortable overall. The lobby was nice. It had a small "restaurant" that served Starbucks which was convenient in the morning.

The room was fine. It was an older style room with the sink outside of the bathtub/shower. The bed was ok. I am finding that the Courtyard by Marriott's are not consistent quality.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
ASHVILLE
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

Caters to elite business crowd that apparently likes to impress each other with extra expenses and mediocre service. Whereas the decor was modern, bright, and spiffy, there were several distractions that affected my rating.
Internet service was very slow, especially during peak hours of use (mornings and evenings).
Bedsheets do not fit mattress well, so they shift as you turn and become a loose mess.
Noises from upstairs bathroom are carried through walls and audible in bed.
Requests for mini-fridge were apparently ignored.
No recognition for Marriott Rewards loyalty; everyone is treated with equal dislike.
Stairs located at end of hallways, and elevators are hideously slow.
Bistro prices are Courtyard's way of gouging their clientele to pay more for things that are often dispensed freely and cheerfully at Residence or SpringHill Suites.

Bottom Line: You gotta love the elite air of this place, or have endless expense account to enjoy the luxuries this place tacks onto the bill. But, don't plan on any better rest than you would have received at a budget Travelodge (except the flatscreen telly is upgraded at Courtyard).

Room Tip: Avoid unless you cannot get around it.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

We had a long drive home & chose to stop overnight to break up the drive. The room was pleasant and comfortable. The service at check in was very helpful and appreciated. The addition of the bistro was welcome so we didn't have to travel far for a traditional breakfast. Price at the bistro was fairly reasonable. Overall, we were comfortable

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Eastlake, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

Due to electrical repairs taking place on our house, we checked into the Courtyard on a Friday. Originally we had booked for Friday through Sunday. We ended up staying through the following Friday morning.

When we first checked in, I was very impressed. The lobby has a restaurant with a Starbucks. The front desk staff was very nice. We had a King Suite, which was great because we had two separate rooms for my wife, three children, and myself. The pool was heated, which was nice for this time of year, and my kids enjoyed it.

I don't consider myself a hotel snob, so I could care less about the decor, etc. However, after staying for a few days, I noticed there were stains on the bathroom ceiling. Our toilet paper was only replaced twice, causing us to run out on two separate mornings.

Two major issues that cause me to give such a poor rating. First of all, the hot tub in the pool area was broken when we checked in. I asked the front desk manager and was told that engineering was working on it and it should be fixed by the end of the weekend. It was not. On Wednesday, I asked again when the hot tub would be fixed. I was told again that she would check with engineering. When we checked out. the hot tub still was not fixed.

However, my biggest issue came on Thursday morning. Since we did not know when our house would be fixed, each morning I came to the front desk to extend our stay by one additional day. When I first checked in, I used my debit card, which was authorized for almost $900 for a $700 hotel bill. I understand that hotels always authorize more than the actual bill amount, so this was fine. When we woke up Monday morning, a bill was under our door. When I extended our stay on Monday to Tuesday, Tuesday morning my card was authorized for an additional $200. From Tuesday through Thursday morning, I did not get any type of invoice or bill in the morning. When I extended our stay on Thursday morning through Friday, our room keys were renewed and I came back to our room. Five minutes later, I got a call from the front desk saying there was an issue with my debit card.

I went right to the front desk and spent ALMOST AN HOUR trying to sort through my account with the front desk manager. They attempted to bill my debit card for over $1400 without releasing the previous holds of $900 and $200, which caused my card to decline. Even though I get text alerts on my debit card and could see the exact amount and time of every transaction that was authorized, they claimed that they had only authorized my card for $700 total and that I owed an additional $700 right away. I have never been so embarrassed in my life. The desk manager insisted on calling my bank to verify the amounts that were held. I was forced to go get my checkbook out of my car to have her verify the bank account number that was linked to the card.

If the $1100 in authorizations were put through, I would have owed a little over $300 on my balance, INCLUDING the night that we hadn't even stayed yet. I had over $500 in cash on me and was more than willing to pay the difference, even in advance. However, because she refused to put through or release the autorizations for the proper amounts, I had to drive almost an hour each way to my credit union, get out more cash, and wait 5-7 business days for the authorizations to expire off of my card. Rather than putting through the over $1100 that was already authorized to my card, I was treated like a common criminal at the front desk for over an hour. Needless to say, we will be spending the night in a different hotel until our house repairs are complete.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jason C
Mentor, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

Long story short we chose Courtyard because they offered a free shuttle service for our wedding if we booked 15 rooms. I was hesitate due to the managers lack of reply to email/calls at first, but the comp. for shuttle was a good perk. Our wedding is Oct. 5 and they stopped our block of rooms mid September without advising us first. Luckily I called to reserve more rooms for family members and were told there were no rooms in block, they could not block more rooms for us AND there were no rooms available any longer. So any incoming family/friends who would reserve rooms would not be able to. I talked to Carrie and she advised its standard practice to stop a block 4 weeks out, its in our contract. I asked if she thought to AT LEAST contact us first before freeing the rooms so we can advise how many we'll need. She said, sorry no but if the Radisson can help us we can go there. The Radisson has been more than helpful, responsive, quick and professional so now i have to tell my entire wedding party/guests of the new hotel. I"m completely disappointed. They didn't even offer to check other hotels/help additionally.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard Cleveland Willoughby, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear Beth: We have reviewed your comments with our Sales team. Our Sales team confirmed they had been working on the group with your fiancé who was informed of the group cut-off date. Although we try to accommodate whenever possible, once the cut-off date occurs, it’s imperative that any rooms not booked by the group be released to the public so we can book rooms. The cut-off dates are discussed and signed with each group contract so that it’s very clear from the inception of the contract. We feel confident the dates were discussed as part of the original signed contract. We appreciate your business and regret we were unable to book more rooms for your group once the cut-off dates had passed.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

Avoid this place unless you enjoy a dirty noisy Frat party feel. I'm currently here about to check out after a 3 night stay with my wife and young sons. Last night there were people running in the hallway drunkenly yelling until 4:30 am. The substandard HVAC system in our room sounds like a door slamming every time it cycles on/off. These 2 put together equal no sleep all night. That is simply not acceptable. I am appalled that management would allow drunks to overtake their small lobby and first floor hallways while they have Marriot Rewards members like us staying at their hotel. I would NEVER stay here again and this hotel has made me rethink my Marriott brand allegiance. And also, they claim to have a Starbucks in their lobby yet they don't know how to make the drinks they charge 5.00$ each for. The management of this hotel needs a major training lesson in hotel service. Should rename this place Motel 6.

• Stayed August 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard Cleveland Willoughby, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
ALUMKING,

Thank you for taking a moment and writing a review on TripAdvisor. We certainly value our Marriott Rewards members and appreciate your continued business. I’m sorry that your recent stay with us was an unpleasant one with loud guests and an overworked a/c unit. I will discuss your comments with our staff in our next weekly meeting and emphasize a heightened awareness of guest conduct to eliminate rowdy activity. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I hope to earn your business again and have you come back to stay with us for a more positive experience.

Chris Cornett, General Manager
Ashburn, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

Recently brought a group to swimmers to a meet in the area and had an incredible experience with all staff members at the Courtyard. Such a rare experience to be able to say ALL staff was friendly, responsive and accommodating to our very odd schedule. Whether we were breakfasting in the main area at 5:30 AM or eating late dinners, the staff was gracious and went out of their way to assist our group. As the majority of our group was teen-aged, we also appreciated the friendliness and understanding of the housekeeping staff who graciously worked around our young athletes and their equipment. Obviously a very well managed property!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard Cleveland Willoughby, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Carol K,

Thank you for taking a moment and writing about our hotel on TripAdvisor. We were delighted to have you and your young swimmers staying with us. I’m glad to hear that our staff was not only friendly, but also accommodating to your needs. We welcome you to come and stay with us again the next time you’re in Willoughby.

Chris Cornett, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willoughby
Red Roof Inn Cleveland East - Willoughby
Holiday Inn Cleveland East - Mentor
Best Western Plus Lawnfield Inn & Suites
Radisson Hotel & Suites Cleveland- Eastlake
Econo Lodge Wickliffe - Cleveland East
Motel 6 Cleveland-Willoughby

Been to Courtyard Cleveland Willoughby? Share your experiences!